New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
switzb15 wrote:
Junker92 wrote:
switzb15 wrote:

Blew out the Bomber CR so threw on my backup X2. Not quite as good of small bump compliance as the coil, but definitely felt more lively with a lot more bottom out support. Will probably keep this set up for park days or more poppy playful trails and stick with the coil for trail riding with a lot of chunder. It was a quick take off from another bike so I need to play with the settings, but the initial ride felt pretty good and my setup was as follows:
190 lb rider weight
230psi, 3 volume spacers
LSR 13
HSR 8
LSC 8
HSC 10
(clicks CCW)

What happened to the Bomber? How/why did it blow out??

After a pretty standard ride this weekend it started leaking oil, making an odd squishy sound, compression adjustment knob is completely stuck, and there is a huge inconsistent spot in the middle of the travel. It's 5 months old, so heading in for warranty this week. No particularly big hits or anything - not sure what caused it. Hoping it's a defect and after warranty service it's good to go, but I'm not mad about tinkering with the X2 in the meantime.

I'll report back whether or not it was a defect or something else when I get it back. In the RA the "scheduled service timeslot is July 6", so it might be awhile...

Finally, an update on the Bomber warranty. Fox/Marzocchi's response to the cause: "there are some parts in the compression assembly that came apart and caused the clunk and loss in damper performance."

When I asked about using the Bomber on a strut style suspension platform: "the issue this shock had was not due to the yoke but it will cause other issues with shock mainly damper shaft wear and leaking oil...[67mm is] a little yoke so you wont see as much trouble with that one as you would the stumpy evo frames."

So, I'm currently back to running my 2019 Float X2. Apparently in 2019 they went to a steel shaft versus aluminum before then. The steel shaft gives me piece of mind about the yoke issues and the weight savings / bottom out support is worth the loss in small bump compliance compared to the Bomber for me.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
PSA for anyone using other cranks than the standard SRAM on your Status:

If your BB doesn't have a shell around the axle, make sure your dropper cable is not rubbing on the axle..

This happened to me, the cable was rubbing on the axle, the steel wire inside the cable housing is harder than the axle and cut into the aluminum axle leading it to break on the landing of a jump on my local yesterday.

In my case, these were RaceFace Turbine Cinch Cranks with a thick 30mm axle and rotor bsa bearings.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
Whooooaaa, that was a pretty random accident.

waldo-jpg wrote:
PSA for anyone using other cranks than the standard SRAM on your Status:

If your BB doesn't have a shell around the axle, make sure your dropper cable is not rubbing on the axle..

This happened to me, the cable was rubbing on the axle, the steel wire inside the cable housing is harder than the axle and cut into the aluminum axle leading it to break on the landing of a jump on my local yesterday.

In my case, these were RaceFace Turbine Cinch Cranks with a thick 30mm axle and rotor bsa bearings.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 4:36 Quote
Hi,
if anyone is looking for maximum dropper insertion depth here is S2 with 180mm oneup v2 (30.9mm with adapter tube) Big Grin

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
What are your thoughts on the Vyron? There's not a lot of recent info online about it. I have the opportunity to pick one up but I hate wasting money.

waldo-jpg wrote:
My Status earlier this Summer cleaned and prepared for my first Enduro race.
Part list:

Lyrik RC2
self-built budget wheelset with DT E535 rims, Newmen hub rear and SLX front
SuperTrail Magic Mary and Big Betty
GX Eagle AXS
Magura MT5 Brakes
Magura Vyron elect Wireless dropper
DVO Jade X with rawed hardware
Raceface Turbine Cinch Cranks
Ergon Enduro Seat

I have since removed the STFU Bike since it doesnt go well with the shape of the chainstay and the small 30t chainring, routed the Brake cable through the steerer for Barspins. And i plan on getting a Manitou Mezzer soon, other than that i am absolutely in Love with this bike!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
estinehart wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Vyron? There's not a lot of recent info online about it. I have the opportunity to pick one up but I hate wasting money.

I thought it was ok. The delay is obvious but you get used to it immediately.
The remote is horrible, but does its job fine.
Battery life is adequate, i charged it once a month or so, but it sucks that you have to have your bike near an outlet or
bring the dirty seatpost inside every time.

I paid around 100€ (120 USD or so) used, but i broke the control unit once due to water damage(dont point the waterhose straight at it) and broke another one with my knee on a failed barspin.

Barspins where the reason i had it, but i found out i could route a cable through the left side cable entry port and do barspins just fine, since i don't need a cable for shifting with AXS.

All in all, if you get a cheap one it's a decent investment, dont bother paying retail

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
I am sure this has already been asked, But what is the Eye to Eye on a 22 Status 160? looking to put a coil on it.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
marlon-d wrote:
I am sure this has already been asked, But what is the Eye to Eye on a 22 Status 160? looking to put a coil on it.

230x60

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 2:20 Quote
Hey, all you that blowed up a shock.
Do you know that it's not shock fault, but poor frame design with shock extention?

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 11:39 Quote
My stock DPX2 is starting to leave more oil than expected on the piston. Is that sign of impending shock failure? Purchased 9mo ago so hoping to warranty the issue early if it's going to blow.

Related: I sometimes take the Status to BMX park and lock out fork and shock for more pop. Any concerns with this much higher impact on a locked shock?

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 12:15 Quote
lightone wrote:
Hey, all you that blowed up a shock.
Do you know that it's not shock fault, but poor frame design with shock extention?

Lately, my shock sounds like there’s a lot of air in it. Actually, I only did a service three months ago. But I also noticed that the DPX2 tends to leak more oil at the Status than on other frames without shock extension.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 6:00 Quote
ultimatist wrote:
My stock DPX2 is starting to leave more oil than expected on the piston. Is that sign of impending shock failure? Purchased 9mo ago so hoping to warranty the issue early if it's going to blow.

Related: I sometimes take the Status to BMX park and lock out fork and shock for more pop. Any concerns with this much higher impact on a locked shock?

Lockout, or even more compression damping causes bigger buckling forces. It makes shaft coating and seals wear much quicker.
It seems obvious for some, however most of people blame shock, as a direct cause of missed ride. Frame manufacturers benefit from this misconception makes the same **** over and over again.
Steve at vorsprung made a video lately about that:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Lpxj9zVis

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Afaik nobody has blown their shock because of the status. There was the blown bomber that was an assembly issue from the marz factory. And the bent dhx2, which is obviously concerning, but we know that that was the old-school super-pinner aluminum shaft version that was discontinued awhile ago. And we suspect that shock was extremely oversprung because the dude riding it was sending pro lines. An oversprung pinner shaft is obviously a recipe for disaster on any frame design.

I don't think oil on the damper body is any indication of excessive wear or poor frame design. There's a huge amount of tolerance between the damper body and the air sleeve, and obviously the air chamber is full of air already. A little burping or whatever shouldn't be a concern. You're supposed to check your air pressure or at least sag before every ride. The issue would be air getting into the damper through the damping seals, excessive bushing wear and excessive shaft wear. If this has happened it will be obvious as the damping will be erratic. You'd also be able to feel it easily hand cycling the shock. Go ahead and check your shock, at least for the peace of mind.

There's no doubt any frame design that side loads the shock is less than ideal. And there's a ton of the strut mount style bikes out there from at least a dozen manufacturers. As far as the status goes the strut is extremely short in comparison to the others and the pivots and linkages are oversized and stiff as any. So I think any concerns about the status blowing up shocks is a myth or at least very rare.

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 13:59 Quote
Purpledragonslayer wrote:
Afaik nobody has blown their shock because of the status. There was the blown bomber that was an assembly issue from the marz factory. And the bent dhx2, which is obviously concerning, but we know that that was the old-school super-pinner aluminum shaft version that was discontinued awhile ago. And we suspect that shock was extremely oversprung because the dude riding it was sending pro lines. An oversprung pinner shaft is obviously a recipe for disaster on any frame design.

I don't think oil on the damper body is any indication of excessive wear or poor frame design. There's a huge amount of tolerance between the damper body and the air sleeve, and obviously the air chamber is full of air already. A little burping or whatever shouldn't be a concern. You're supposed to check your air pressure or at least sag before every ride. The issue would be air getting into the damper through the damping seals, excessive bushing wear and excessive shaft wear. If this has happened it will be obvious as the damping will be erratic. You'd also be able to feel it easily hand cycling the shock. Go ahead and check your shock, at least for the peace of mind.

There's no doubt any frame design that side loads the shock is less than ideal. And there's a ton of the strut mount style bikes out there from at least a dozen manufacturers. As far as the status goes the strut is extremely short in comparison to the others and the pivots and linkages are oversized and stiff as any. So I think any concerns about the status blowing up shocks is a myth or at least very rare.

Thanks Purple, no scratches or damage on damper body, and air levels seem to hold for a few months at a time. Was just concerned about flat landing on a locked shock at the BMX park. The shock is so damn linear, I'm finding full open the wrong feel for most everything, even chunky downhill. Will try to max volume spacers and/or creep down from 27% sag, to benefit climbing angles.

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 18:51 Quote
I'm sure you're fine from that landing. It'd be nice to get the dpx2 revalved one day.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008588
Mobile Version of Website