New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
Author Message
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
I'm pretty close to buying a Status 140 frame and building it up for my son, as a "do it all" trail bike. He's not super aggressive. We have a lot of rolling hills and moderate terrain locally, but also we do occasional lift access. Just a couple of questions since there is no way to demo one locally:

1. Sizing: He's 13 and 5'4" (162.5cm) tall, and he's pretty light. S2 seems like the choice, but I see posts about people downsizing due to length. Stick with S2?
2. It seems like a relatively heavy bike; is it the build spec, the frame, or both?
3. Planning to build it up w/ parts I have on hand, so it'll be 27.5 front & back. I have a 150 Pike and a 5mm crown race spacer, so geo should be unchanged. Not a question, just a comment lol.

Anything else I should consider? His prior bike was a 2020 Stumpy Alloy Short Travel, S1 frame; that thing was heavy! But he got along fine with it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
Disturbedracing wrote:
Just picked up my new Status.
I was on the fence about what size for a while I have a Fuse in a
Large which I found to stretched out and the S4 Status had longer reach than the fuse so ended up opting for the S3.

Now I just need to put it on a diet.
I'm going to swap out the rear wheel for the No Stans Arch which is already on my fuse and same with the bar and stem.

I've been offered some 175 X1 (12speed dub cranks) but unsure if 175 will be to long

I’m on 170 cranks and seriously considering going with some Canfield 160. BB is low low on these.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 22:40 Quote
Disturbedracing wrote:
I've been offered some 175 X1 (12speed dub cranks) but unsure if 175 will be to long

175 is too long, I was running 175mm Raceface Turbines until they broke. Now I am on 165. It was unrideable in the low mode, pedaling on any trail as dangerous on high mode already

Posted: Jun 8, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
waldo-jpg wrote:
Disturbedracing wrote:
I've been offered some 175 X1 (12speed dub cranks) but unsure if 175 will be to long

175 is too long, I was running 175mm Raceface Turbines until they broke. Now I am on 165. It was unrideable in the low mode, pedaling on any trail as dangerous on high mode already

165 is the best upgrade ever you can do to this bike

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
Hey y'all. what Coil conversion are some of you using on your stock 36 Rhythm forks? Looking back on the thread, I see a few people that have done it just cannot find which conversion was used. My LBS is fairly sure that it can't be done...? which can't be true given I have seen it done on here.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
Marzocchi z1 coil convertion kit should fit. However I would go with vorsprung smashpot but its not cheap.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
Z1 conversion has decent reviews. I have the Smashpot, bit more expensive but the incremental spring rates and hydraulic bottom out make it worth it. Works really well with the Grip damper too.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
Ordered up the regular fox conversion. Blew up the air spring the other day.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
Just purchased a 140 for my wife. What a fun, agile, playful, poppy bike! I am a little concerned about the lack of a thick rubber downtube / bottom bracket protector on these bikes. Has anyone found an aftermarket solution?

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 20:08 Quote
How are people liking the Float X? I got a previous year's model with the DPX2 and am getting pedal strikes even after switching to 165 cranks and putting the bike in the high position. Most reviews I've seen say the Float X is better all around and that it has more mid stroke support.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
Sorry if this has been asked already. I’ve been eyeballing a Status 160 for a while now. At 6’2”, I’m looking at the S4 as my current trail bike at almost 500 reach is a bit much for the tight twisty trails here in the northeast. My worry is the super short chainstay paired with the longer reach of the S4 and 5. Anyone have any issues with the balance of the larger sizes? I’m all for a playful bike that you can snap around, but is it too short for the larger sizes where it’s hard to keep the front end on the ground while climbing and sketchy at high speeds?

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 19:00 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked already. I’ve been eyeballing a Status 160 for a while now. At 6’2”, I’m looking at the S4 as my current trail bike at almost 500 reach is a bit much for the tight twisty trails here in the northeast. My worry is the super short chainstay paired with the longer reach of the S4 and 5. Anyone have any issues with the balance of the larger sizes? I’m all for a playful bike that you can snap around, but is it too short for the larger sizes where it’s hard to keep the front end on the ground while climbing and sketchy at high speeds?

I'm 6'0" and ride an S4 160 all over New England, mostly eastern MA. I have about 900 miles on it since December 2020. I do about 90% trail riding and 10% park riding. I always ride in the high setting and get pedal strikes almost every time I ride. I haven't really found any obstacles that the bike can't be convinced to get over, but it is definitely long and the front end needs extra weight on it on truly steep climbs. The Fox 36 Rhythm fork is delightfully easy to tune for big dudes and it's a breeze to service. I don't mind the climbing performance at all when I got to KT or do Wednesduro at Highland, but riding tight spots like Vietnam and Lynn Woods are pretty tight and laborious. A stumpy would be better there.

The rear end, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting set up correctly because I find it very choppy over repeated high speed bumps. Pumping through flows turns is awesome and it jumps super, super easy, but I don't get to ride trails like that all the time. I have a DPX2 though so the Float X may be better. Braking bumps are brutal, downhill lines with roots and rocks can ping you around pretty good. Cushcore F/R for what it's worth. It's not as stable at high speed like an Enduro but for $3k it's hard to beat.

Happy to answer any other questions about it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 19:18 Quote
Exactly the info I was looking for. Especially since we ride the same areas. Vietnam is where I ride the most since it’s about 25 minutes from me. For the bike parks (mostly Thunder and Killington) I have a DH bike, so I wouldn’t be taking the Status to any parks. I do like my trail bikes to err on the side of a feeride bike. I’m not interested in smashing records going uphill or long pedally days. I like to pedal to get to fun features or DH runs. I’m on a Vitus Sommet now. Full 29, 160/170 with an almost 500mm reach and 440 chainstays. It’s a pig at places like Vietnam, but great for the drops/DH sections. I guess I’m looking for something a little more playful and the price and spec of the Status is hard to beat. Just wish the chainstays were closer to the 435 mark.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 9:12 Quote
6'0" on an S4 frame up build with a Fox 36, I9 1/1 hubs/Stan's rims, Shimano SLX 11 speed drivetrain and Zee brakes. Really like the fit, I ride in high position with 170 cranks. I switched from a DPX2 to a Float X a month ago and it noticeably improved the pedaling platform and reduced pedal strikes. The overall suspension feel is better and was worth the upgrade. Ultimate suspension test will be Angel Fire this fall, damn that place is rocky! Talking about the short backend. I am short legs/ long torso so the design fits me. At 20+ mph at Angel Fire, I can feel a slight twitchyness but I can live with it, as I don't spend a lot of time over 20. I don't think I would want the bike to be longer.

I'd like to have a new carbon mullet Nomad or Insurgent for park, but when I think of the $3k it would cost to swap frames, it makes me dang happy with what I have.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
bricollins wrote:
I'm pretty close to buying a Status 140 frame and building it up for my son, as a "do it all" trail bike. He's not super aggressive. We have a lot of rolling hills and moderate terrain locally, but also we do occasional lift access. Just a couple of questions since there is no way to demo one locally:

1. Sizing: He's 13 and 5'4" (162.5cm) tall, and he's pretty light. S2 seems like the choice, but I see posts about people downsizing due to length. Stick with S2?
2. It seems like a relatively heavy bike; is it the build spec, the frame, or both?
3. Planning to build it up w/ parts I have on hand, so it'll be 27.5 front & back. I have a 150 Pike and a 5mm crown race spacer, so geo should be unchanged. Not a question, just a comment lol.

Anything else I should consider? His prior bike was a 2020 Stumpy Alloy Short Travel, S1 frame; that thing was heavy! But he got along fine with it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi how did the build go? Planning on a 27.5 front n rear for my son who is just over 5ft (s1 status 140m)
How much did it wound up weighing?
TIA


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007382
Mobile Version of Website