New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
ultimatist wrote:
metsrangers35 wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:

I'm running a 170mm fork and it's fine, it may be slightly better with 160mm but it's not a huge issue honestly. You could always compensate with lower rise bars and less spacers if you wanted

thanks! when you change the shock/stroke length in the back - i guess on this bike or any bike - does that change the geometry at all?

thanks for the help! cheers
Longer shock usually makes the middle of the bike (BB) sit higher: steeper HTA, STA, feels more "on top of bike", etc.

Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Changing the stroke doesn't change the shock length so if you run the same pressure then it'll behave exactly the same with the same ride height etc.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 0:03 Quote
AgrAde wrote:
Changing the stroke doesn't change the shock length so if you run the same pressure then it'll behave exactly the same with the same ride height etc.

What they said. The eye to eye measurement stays the same, you just get a little more travel.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 0:36 Quote
metsrangers35 wrote:

thanks! when you change the shock/stroke length in the back - i guess on this bike or any bike - does that change the geometry at all?

Stroke length doesnt change it, but it does change the sagged geometry slightly and the geometry at full travel.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 1:41 Quote
Only changes the sag geometry if you run less pressure...

The bike is exactly the same except for the fact that where the suspension used to stop, now it keeps going. What you do with that freedom of setup is up to you.

I'm going to increase my shock stroke when I next service my shock but I'm not going to reduce my pressures. I have my sag and damping set up to how I want my bike geometry to be and how I want my early-to-mid-stroke to feel. I want to increase the stroke so that I can remove a volume spacer so that my end-stroke is a bit more linear and more compliant. Not because I want my bike to be softer.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
If it's same eye-to-eye, then they're right. Always best to go for the largest stroke length for a given shock size: you get more sensitivity for adjustments and a bit lower heat/pressure.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 10:47 Quote
I think I read here that someone was able to run a 29 rear wheel on the 160. Anyone doing this with success? I’m 6’2” and kind of miss the full 29. I know, not what the bike was intended for but whatever.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
I think I read here that someone was able to run a 29 rear wheel on the 160. Anyone doing this with success? I’m 6’2” and kind of miss the full 29. I know, not what the bike was intended for but whatever.

I have. Fairly tight fit with a 29x2.3 Specie Ground Control on a 30mm ID rim but it works. I’d be reluctant to try it with a 65mm stroke shock for fear of tire hitting seat tube, though. Just FYI for any of you long shockers out there.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
Thanks man. Just picked up a Marzocchi CR coil for it, but it’s the standard 60mm stroke.

Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 2:36 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Thanks man. Just picked up a Marzocchi CR coil for it, but it’s the standard 60mm stroke.

So this shock will just have a 5mm (or 2x 2.5 mm ones) spacer inside it. With a 60mm stroke shock you're only getting approximately 153mm travel out back. With stroke at 62.5mm travel is 160mm and with all spacers removed rear travel will be 166mm.

Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 2:38 Quote
deinabolic wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:

I have. Fairly tight fit with a 29x2.3 Specie Ground Control on a 30mm ID rim but it works. I’d be reluctant to try it with a 65mm stroke shock for fear of tire hitting seat tube, though. Just FYI for any of you long shockers out there.

You can do it with a skinny xc type tire but still may hit the frame while cornering, I tried it and would definitely not recommend it.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 3:41 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:

So this shock will just have a 5mm (or 2x 2.5 mm ones) spacer inside it. With a 60mm stroke shock you're only getting approximately 153mm travel out back. With stroke at 62.5mm travel is 160mm and with all spacers removed rear travel will be 166mm.

Oh wow. Didn’t know that. Thanks. Is it the same with the stock DPX2?

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
I believe the stock shock length is 230mmx60mm, so I find that hard to believe! But maybe he is right.

Posted: Oct 12, 2022 at 0:42 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:

Oh wow. Didn’t know that. Thanks. Is it the same with the stock DPX2?

As far as I know, yes.

Posted: Oct 12, 2022 at 0:46 Quote
marlon-d wrote:
I believe the stock shock length is 230mmx60mm, so I find that hard to believe! But maybe he is right.

Could be wrong on the original shock stroke but you can definitely modify the stroke length (and travel) between 60/62.5/65 by adding and removing spacers. Obviously check you rear wheel doesn't hit your seat at full compression if you do this.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022564
Mobile Version of Website