New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 7:16 Quote
fstws36 wrote:
trialstars wrote:
fstws36 wrote:
Def sweet deal on that Status 140 or 160!

Begs the question,,

Update on the way or can the model, there seem to be loads about unsold still.

I'm sure they'll update their lineup, but still it's a sweet deal even if its a 1/2 year old frame!! Used to own a Spec, riding a 22 Marin Rift Zone 27.5 V2 and treating me well so far!!!!

I am stuck between jumping on a status 140 or a 2023 rift zone 29''

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 7:22 Quote
Doogster wrote:
fstws36 wrote:
trialstars wrote:

Begs the question,,

I'm sure they'll update their lineup, but still it's a sweet deal even if its a 1/2 year old frame!! Used to own a Spec, riding a 22 Marin Rift Zone 27.5 V2 and treating me well so far!!!!

Status 140 is $2250 with NX components (not the best..good fork/schock) RIFT ZONE 29" XR is grand more at $3499 with Shimano XT/SLX components (very good, very good fork/schock). Up to you if that grand difference makes you get the Marin unless you get the 22 model year which is around the same price as the Status.

The 23 Marin has slightly updated Geo and re-designed frame. Spec has better warranty (lifetime, seatstay and chainstay if registered) where Marin's is only 5-years (so that's a major for Spec)

Good luck!!

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 8:08 Quote
trialstars wrote:
mikeinhoodriver wrote:
Dont know if everyone saw this or not, but they are practically giving away new Status... Big Grin

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/status-160/p/199767?color=320388-199767

Wow, do you have to pay tax or is that the outright price?
I ordered one this week at what look like a good price for the uk, the USA frame only looks cheap too.

Out of interest is anyone running a 30t up front?

I was running a 28t hahaha. worked alright for me but was horrible for pedaling at speed of course.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 8:10 Quote
fstws36 wrote:
Doogster wrote:
fstws36 wrote:

Status 140 is $2250 with NX components (not the best..good fork/schock) RIFT ZONE 29" XR is grand more at $3499 with Shimano XT/SLX components (very good, very good fork/schock). Up to you if that grand difference makes you get the Marin unless you get the 22 model year which is around the same price as the Status.

The 23 Marin has slightly updated Geo and re-did the cable routing rear triangle. I've not found these changes enough to warrant selling my 22 Marin!!

Good luck!!

Thanks. I am comparing it to the alloy rift zone 2. I will likely swap on box 9 drivetrain quickly and sell the old drivetrain for a couple bucks if I get the status. Closest Marin dealer is 1 hour away. not awful, but if I get the spesh the dealer is local. I just wish I had kept my nice 27.5 wheelset now. I have seen some folks have luck running a 29'' an the rear of the status. I will definitely give that shot.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
Doogster wrote:
fstws36 wrote:
Doogster wrote:

The 23 Marin has slightly updated Geo and re-did the cable routing rear triangle. I've not found these changes enough to warrant selling my 22 Marin!!

Good luck!!

Thanks. I am comparing it to the alloy rift zone 2. I will likely swap on box 9 drivetrain quickly and sell the old drivetrain for a couple bucks if I get the status. Closest Marin dealer is 1 hour away. not awful, but if I get the spesh the dealer is local. I just wish I had kept my nice 27.5 wheelset now. I have seen some folks have luck running a 29'' an the rear of the status. I will definitely give that shot.

That's comparable... My RFZ is a 27.5 and honestly, it's been rock solid. Spec has the better lifetime warranty though vs Marin's 5 year!!

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 8:19 Quote
fstws36 wrote:
Doogster wrote:
fstws36 wrote:

Good luck!!

That's comparable... My RFZ is a 27.5 and honestly, it's been rock solid. Spec has the better lifetime warranty though vs Marin's 5 year!!

Brother, this is like your 3rd account in a matter of a couple months. lmao

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 8:20 Quote
marlon-d wrote:
fstws36 wrote:
Doogster wrote:

Brother, this is like your 3rd account in a matter of a couple months. lmao

Yep...glitches....

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
Deed is done. green s3 status 140 has been ordered. Should be here next week. First order will be to test fit a 29x2.3 on the rear because if it works I feel like i got two bikes for one. Then I will see if 27.5x2.8 on a 40mm iw rim will fit because 27.5+ rear and 29+ front could be super fun for local trails.

This is the first complete bike I have bought since high school and already I can't leave well enough alone.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 13:53 Quote
trialstars wrote:
fstws36 wrote:

Begs the question,,

I don't see what they would want to update on the Status.

-Geometry is still bang on the money, pretty progressive still

-There seem to be no major flaws with it (havent seen any of them break)

-No outdated Standards

+ the Status was supposed to be a Low Budget Model, so a model-lifetime of 3-4 years would seem reasonable.

Maybe they just made everyone really confused with the whole Status thing, not calling it a specialized, not having it on the website, cutting dealer margins etc. and now they have ordered to many of them while not enough people know about them.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 14:23 Quote
A shop I talked to mentioned the margin and how specialized handled the release as to why they and other shops did not bother ordering any statuses to keep on the floor. They just tried to steer buyers to the stumpy and stumpy evo of they could.

Local shop was happy to order one for me and said if I was newer to mtb and not deadset on a status he would have spent a little time comparing the stumpy to the status.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 15:37 Quote
Doogster wrote:
Deed is done. green s3 status 140 has been ordered. Should be here next week. First order will be to test fit a 29x2.3 on the rear because if it works I feel like i got two bikes for one. Then I will see if 27.5x2.8 on a 40mm iw rim will fit because 27.5+ rear and 29+ front could be super fun for local trails.

This is the first complete bike I have bought since high school and already I can't leave well enough alone.

Check out this for my experience with a 29er rear wheel: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2021-specialized-status.1145425/post-15790921

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 15:38 Quote
waldo-jpg wrote:
trialstars wrote:
fstws36 wrote:

Begs the question,,

-No outdated Standards

+ the Status was supposed to be a Low Budget Model, so a model-lifetime of 3-4 years would seem reasonable.

Maybe they just made everyone really confused with the whole Status thing, not calling it a specialized, not having it on the website, cutting dealer margins etc. and now they have ordered to many of them while not enough people know about them.

Regarding breakage: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2021-specialized-status.1145425/post-15825005

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 15:40 Quote
switzb15 wrote:
Doogster wrote:

Check out this for my experience with a 29er rear wheel: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2021-specialized-status.1145425/post-15790921

Thanks for the link! I have a spare wheel that has a small knob 2.3 xc ish tire. Mud clearance is no concern. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't work, oh well.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 15:41 Quote
I’d love to see the Status updated with longer chainstays on the S4 and S5. But that’s just me.

Posted: Jan 26, 2023 at 0:43 Quote
waldo-jpg wrote:
trialstars wrote:
fstws36 wrote:

Begs the question,,

-No outdated Standards

They did a similar thing with the original Pitch which was a progressive bike for it’s day, the bike ran for about five years with minor updates then got shelved, I can see this going the same way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012792
Mobile Version of Website