2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
We have a few company-wide, Mike's Bikes in the California Bay Area. Can't ship 2021 bikes but we have 12 stores around the Bay.

Curious why you can’t ship? Is that a specialized rule or just a shop rule? Any idea if there is more flexibility when it comes to shipping from one Authorized specialized shop to another? Just genuinely curious in case I happen to find one but can’t justify the drive.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
seraph wrote:
We have a few company-wide, Mike's Bikes in the California Bay Area. Can't ship 2021 bikes but we have 12 stores around the Bay.

Curious why you can’t ship? Is that a specialized rule or just a shop rule? Any idea if there is more flexibility when it comes to shipping from one Authorized specialized shop to another? Just genuinely curious in case I happen to find one but can’t justify the drive.

As per Specialized. Frames usually can be shipped though.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
seraph wrote:

As kwapik said, it's a Specialized thing. Current model year are not allowed to be shipped.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
Complete bikes, no. There are plenty of shops that are currently shipping 2021 framesets....

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
J4m3z420 wrote:
Complete bikes, no. There are plenty of shops that are currently shipping 2021 framesets....

Interesting. Well... that’s frustrating. I am sitting here with cash willing to buy a bike and there are dealers with that bike who cannot ship/sell. It’s too bad they don’t at least allow shipment from one authorized shop to another. Either way, thanks for the info!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
J4m3z420 wrote:

Interesting. Well... that’s frustrating. I am sitting here with cash willing to buy a bike and there are dealers with that bike who cannot ship/sell. It’s too bad they don’t at least allow shipment from one authorized shop to another. Either way, thanks for the info!

The only way to do it would be to have someone else buy it for you in person and then have the bike boxed and shipped.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
I picked up my a Stumpjumper Comp (alloy) a few weeks ago. Added Race Face Chester pedals and Butcher Grid 2.6 tubeless front and back. It weighs 34 pounds which seems heavy. I also think it feels heavy when riding but I reserve judgment on this as I am still finetuning the set-up.

So, what gives? I realize I can shed some weight with smaller tires and carbon bars/cranks but not sure I want to do that (and carbon rims are not in the budget). Is 34 pounds just the price you pay these days for a non-carbon trail bike?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
NEWill wrote:
Is 34 pounds just the price you pay these days for a non-carbon trail bike?

Pretty much. bikes are really beefed up these days, wide rims, boost spacing, big tires (the 2.6 aren't doing you any favors)...it all adds up. The new Devinci troy which is fully carbon comes in around 33 pounds.

The carbon stumpy is one of the lighter trail bikes out and its around 30lbs for the expert build.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Also alloy SJ frames are obscenely heavy. I wouldn't be surprised if an S3 weighed 10 lbs without a shock.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
NEWill wrote:
So, what gives?

I have the full carbon Expert SJ and it weighs 30 pounds. I'll say that it rides stable compared to my last bike that was a more xc-orientated rig. Stable can feel heavy. Also my SJ currently has the stock 2.3 tires. I'd imagine that the 2.6s would make it feel even more stable as well as actually being heavier. Not sure if this helps...34 pounds isn't that heavy in the big picture. Try firming up your suspension to give the bike a bit more pop that might help if feel lighter.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
NEWill wrote:
So, what gives?

I have the full carbon Expert SJ and it weighs 30 pounds. I'll say that it rides stable compared to my last bike that was a more xc-orientated rig. Stable can feel heavy. Also my SJ currently has the stock 2.3 tires. I'd imagine that the 2.6s would make it feel even more stable as well as actually being heavier. Not sure if this helps...34 pounds isn't that heavy in the big picture. Try firming up your suspension to give the bike a bit more pop that might help if feel lighter.

you've got an S5 right? how tall are you and how do you find the fit?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:

Yea, size 5. I only have 2 rides on it but it definitely fits me and I'm glad I didn't go smaller. I'm nearly 6'2" with long arms and legs for my height. I put longer bars than the stock but left the stem length the same. I'm still warming up to the steep seat angle position and getting my saddle to the right height. My last bike (currently for sale!) had a more traditional xc geo so a different position. Also the lower BB on the SJ will take getting used to but it's so good for corners.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
arrowheadrush wrote:

Yea, size 5. I only have 2 rides on it but it definitely fits me and I'm glad I didn't go smaller. I'm nearly 6'2" with long arms and legs for my height. I put longer bars than the stock but left the stem length the same. I'm still warming up to the steep seat angle position and getting my saddle to the right height. My last bike (currently for sale!) had a more traditional xc geo so a different position. Also the lower BB on the SJ will take getting used to but it's so good for corners.

Nice! i've got the exact same bike on order. Sounds like we're about the same size (i'm 6' 1" with a 6' 4" wingspan). I just went with the size suggested by specialized, patiently waiting for delivery.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
NEWill wrote:
So, what gives?

Did a lunchtime ride today. Trails were borderline frozen. Hard and fast. Increased the tire pressure by 4 or 5 PSI and the bike felt pretty good. First time tubeless and first time with tires wider than 2.3 so need some time to get the set-up right. I will say this, the bike is a rocket ship on descents.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Finished my Stumpy build today. Too muddy to ride without damaging local trails... so all I have to offer is 'glamor shots'. Weights 27.5lbs as it sits with pedals and fairly light tires (EXO). I'm 5' 5.5" and I think the S2 is going to work out nicely. That's a 150mm dropper installed, I could likely have gone longer. Build is obviously custom.
Rim/Hubs: Arch MK3 28h / XT
Fork: Pike Ult 140
Bar+stem+Cranks: Custom designed and 3D printed by me, titanium
derailleur / shifter / cassette: Deore / XT / XTR
Brakes / Rotors: Deore 4 piston / XTR

PSA on Chainring clearance: I don't think the chainstay will clear a chainring smaller than 30t without starting to rub when in the 10t cog. My 30t ring is really close.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006768
Mobile Version of Website