2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
connerkuhns wrote:
Bike
Bike

28.5lbs of a real good time! Really pleased with how it rides, also stoked to have a light nimble bike under 30lbs again, even with actually durable tires! Could probably get it down to 28lbs flat with the same tires etc, but not sure if I want to chase grams like that..

Is that the pro model?

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
littlechilds wrote:
connerkuhns wrote:
Bike
Bike

28.5lbs of a real good time! Really pleased with how it rides, also stoked to have a light nimble bike under 30lbs again, even with actually durable tires! Could probably get it down to 28lbs flat with the same tires etc, but not sure if I want to chase grams like that..

Is that the pro model?

Nope, custom build with some season old parts from a previous build, SW frame. Though the frame is the same as all the others except for the carbon shock yoke.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
connerkuhns wrote:
Bike
Bike

Reminds me of this one I built for a customer.
Custom built 2021 S-Works Stumpjumper size S6. E-Spec Fox 34 GRIP2 E.13 LG1r Enduro wheels E.13 tires E.13 LG1 Enduro cranks XX1 AXS Eagle drivetrain and AXS Reverb E.13 stem and bar. 31 lbs 4 oz.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
Very nice build. Its hard to get the green to show in photos ya?

Mine is... less similar.

photo

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
Really interested in getting views on sizing for the new Stumpjumper.

A month ago I brought a new 2021 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon in S6 size (I'm 6'5"), but unfortunately due to finding it too big I sold it yesterday at a huge loss Cry My main issue was it felt so high of the ground and I just lost all confidence in riding, I was constantly on the brakes everywhere and honestly it was embarrassing. I was shocked it felt so bad but I'm wondering if it's more the wheel size than the bike itself as I've never had this issue before.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this? Would it be worth trying a smaller size?

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
Freakyjon wrote:

I'd say you were on the right size. I'm 6'1" and I'm on a S5 Stumpy. I have long legs and arms. It fits perfect. Keep in mind that the BB height is the same across the sizes. So, except for the taller headtubes, bigger sizes don't change how far you're off the ground. Bigger sizes are longer - wheelbase, eff top tube, reach, etc. If this was your first 29er, than maybe you just needed to get used to it. This is my 5th 29er but the first that wasn't xc focused. So, it's actually taken me some time to adjust to the lower BB and longer wheelbase but damn it helps on the downhills and corners!

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
As Andrew said the BB height is constant through the sizes. Your feeling is curious because I find the Stumpy quite low, sagged it must be around 300mm even a little bit less and it doesn't really matter the wheel size because compared to a 27.5 the bb drop is more important to compensate.
Have you tried to play around with your position on the bike, with the bar height etc? Were you riding the low position already ?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
Freakyjon wrote:

I'd say you were on the right size. I'm 6'1" and I'm on a S5 Stumpy. I have long legs and arms. It fits perfect. Keep in mind that the BB height is the same across the sizes. So, except for the taller headtubes, bigger sizes don't change how far you're off the ground. Bigger sizes are longer - wheelbase, eff top tube, reach, etc. If this was your first 29er, than maybe you just needed to get used to it. This is my 5th 29er but the first that wasn't xc focused. So, it's actually taken me some time to adjust to the lower BB and longer wheelbase but damn it helps on the downhills and corners!

Yeah that's what I thought, I think maybe 29" just isn't for me. It only felt good climbing when out the seat, anything else, even on the flat, wasn't fun at all. Shame, as it was a gorgeous bike.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
As Andrew said the BB height is constant through the sizes. Your feeling is curious because I find the Stumpy quite low, sagged it must be around 300mm even a little bit less and it doesn't really matter the wheel size because compared to a 27.5 the bb drop is more important to compensate.
Have you tried to play around with your position on the bike, with the bar height etc? Were you riding the low position already ?

Yes I played about with bar height and it was in the low position. Just don't think they're suited for me. 27.5" feels fine, but even riding the 29" on trails I know blindfolded I was struggling to even get down, let alone down fast.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
Freakyjon wrote:
...27.5" feels fine, but even riding the 29" on trails I know blindfolded I was struggling to even get down, let alone down fast.

I'll say that's kinda weird. When most people ride a 29er downhill for the first time they say that they are faster but not as maneuverable, playful or easy to jump. Lots of factors... suspension set up, tires/pressure, bike position, etc. that may have affected you liking the bike. How many rides did you get on it before you sold it? Takes everyone a bit to get used to a new bike and that time is longer if it's a major shift in any one or more of the follwing wheel size, suspension travel, suspension design and geo.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
Freakyjon wrote:
...27.5" feels fine, but even riding the 29" on trails I know blindfolded I was struggling to even get down, let alone down fast.

I'll say that's kinda weird. When most people ride a 29er downhill for the first time they say that they are faster but not as maneuverable, playful or easy to jump. Lots of factors... suspension set up, tires/pressure, bike position, etc. that may have affected you liking the bike. How many rides did you get on it before you sold it? Takes everyone a bit to get used to a new bike and that time is longer if it's a major shift in any one or more of the follwing wheel size, suspension travel, suspension design and geo.

I tried riding it a few times, tweaking things here and there but never felt comfortable. Wasn't a tyre or suspension thing as know my settings with those, purely just size. Like I said, guess 29" isn't for me

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Freakyjon wrote:
I tried riding it a few times, tweaking things here and there but never felt comfortable. Wasn't a tyre or suspension thing as know my settings with those, purely just size. Like I said, guess 29" isn't for me

You might be the first 6'5" guy that didn't like a 29er!

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
AndrewFleming wrote:
Freakyjon wrote:

Maybe, but just doesn't work for me, not for a mid-travel bike anyway. Gutted as the new Stumpjumper is an awesome bike, I was really sad to see it go.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
Freakyjon wrote:
AndrewFleming wrote:
Freakyjon wrote:

Maybe, but just doesn't work for me, not for a mid-travel bike anyway. Gutted as the new Stumpjumper is an awesome bike, I was really sad to see it go.

29" wheels are awesome on downcountry bikes.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 3:43 Quote
Hi,

I have asked last time without luck, anybody can recommend a good chain guide for the stumpjumper?
I also would like to have a bashguard, is it possible to install an iscg adapter on the bottombracket or even directly a bash guard there, as there are only two fixations points on the frame?

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015917
Mobile Version of Website