2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Author Message
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Anyone in here with a ‘21 Evo that has recommendations on rear shock setup? I feel like the shock feels harsh/stiff through rough downhill sections but I also find I’m blowing through all my travel at the same settings on semi mellow trails.

Next step will be adding some air tokens but figured I’d ask before going down that road. I think I’ve seen others complain about similar issues.

I can't really tell for the EVO but on the classic stumpjumper I went from the 0.6 to the 0.8 spacer and it did the trick for not bottoming out too much.

How is your rebound setup ? Because this feeling you have in rough sections could also be caused by the suspension packing up due to a slow rebound setting

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
So actually thinking about it again, if I were you I would first try to increase the pressure and keep the rebound the same then try to speed up a little bit the rebound until the bike start to feel unstable and back off from there and third option only give a try with a bigger spacer.
Because it might be that you don't have enough support from your air spring so your bike is sitting too low in its travel while navigating through the rough sections and it feels harsh

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 16:13 Quote
Brodybro29 is on the right track. More support is needed to resist bottoming out. This could come from more base pressure for support throughout the stroke and/or a higher compression ratio (tokens) for more support at the end of the stroke.

The rebound probably needs to be faster. As Brodybro29 mentioned, more base pressure will keep it higher in the travel and speed the rebound. A faster setting on the rebound adjuster may also be needed.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
Thanks, guys. Will give this a try!

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
littlechilds wrote:
Curious if anyone here installed their own ride wrap....wondering if you removed the bottom tube factory 3M it came with to get the Ride Wrap to fit?

I did remove it but re-installed over the ride wrap. Used a heat gun and 2 guitar picks to get under the bottom tabs that are covered by the DT protector. Left the guitar picks on there so I didn't have to touch any other portion of the adhesive. Installed it over the ride wrap by spraying it with the water/soap solution and using the squeegee after I got it lined up. Turned out great.

Asked in the SJ Evo thread but thought I would put it here too.

Curious how others fit stuff into the swat box. This is all new to me and I am attempting to ride without a hydration pack. Seems like no matter how I pack stuff in there the tool bag slides down and I hear it moving around a lot. Anyone have the same issue? Open to tips and tricks.

Currently have tube, CO2 tool/cartridge, 2 tire levers and a wolftooth chain tool. Very tight but it all fits in the bag. Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
myz250f wrote:
Ordered a s4 sworks oak green frameset on December 10th. Was told it would be here early February. February came and no bike. Was now told were looking at late April. Located in upstate ny finger lakes region. Any one else have one on order or hear of estimated ship days??

Was going top order an Evo but was told all of the following: 60-160 days, sometime in 2022 or we don't know.

I was even working with shops to see if they could get it to my local shop. Local shops didn't really care. They all drug their feet and one even told me it wasn't worth their time. If you have a good shop this may be your best bet.

If I were you I would check the inventory on the Specialized site every day. As soon as one comes in close enough to you, make the drive and go get it. This is what I did... 10hr round trip, 2 states over.

Specialized has created a lottery effect. Doesn't seem like they are filling orders before randomly sending out bikes and frames (local shop has an sworks evo frame). Really puts the customer in a crappy situation especially since they have put a stop to all over the phone/online sales.

Checked specialized website inventory at local shops ( didn't know you could do that). Buke ships tm to my house. Thanks guys

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
[...] CO2 tool/cartridge [...] Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

How would you feel about ditching the CO₂ and carrying a larger pump? My experience has been that people quickly go through CO₂ cartridges with large 29er tires, especially if the leak requires several top-ups while the sealant sets - or fails to set, as is often the case. Small pumps usually weigh nearly as much as a larger pump, yet work poorly.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Anyone in here with a ‘21 Evo that has recommendations on rear shock setup? I feel like the shock feels harsh/stiff through rough downhill sections but I also find I’m blowing through all my travel at the same settings on semi mellow trails.

Next step will be adding some air tokens but figured I’d ask before going down that road. I think I’ve seen others complain about similar issues.

I was also bottoming out very easily on small/medium sized trail features. My S5 came with the yellow volume spacer already installed, which kind of surprised me. I kept my pressure the same to maintain 25% sag, and swapped for the largest red volume spacer and that made the bike MUCH better. It still bottoms out on bigger hits (as a DPS should haha, but I no longer bottom out on small/medium features like before.

DM me if you want the rest of the tuning kit for free.99 + shipping. I'd hate to see someone else pay $20 for the tuning kit, just to use one spacer haha. It has everything except that largest red spacer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
howmaybesgo wrote:
[...] CO2 tool/cartridge [...] Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

How would you feel about ditching the CO₂ and carrying a larger pump? My experience has been that people quickly go through CO₂ cartridges with large 29er tires, especially if the leak requires several top-ups while the sealant sets - or fails to set, as is often the case. Small pumps usually weigh nearly as much as a larger pump, yet work poorly.

Not opposed to it. I guess my mindset was if all air was released from the tire I would have a better chance to seat the beads with a shot from CO2. I haven't actually had that issue on a trail so pure speculation. Which pumps would you recommend to fit in the swat cage and would it fit in the bag or just have to be wrapped up and put in the DT?

Currently have a crank bros klic hv guage. Will fit in the DT but not with the Specialized included tool bag.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
Yeah, seating the bead is the wildcard. My experience has been that the bead is rarely unseated; usually it's just a deflated tire from a cut at the bead or in the tread.

Can't comment on what fits in the SWAT, as I don't have a Stumpjumper, I just watch this thread as a product manager because it's an interesting bike with some unique features. My solution is to use a pump bracket that tucks under my bottle cage, which I assume you could also do and would free up space in your SWAT compartment.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
[Quote="howmaybesgo"]
littlechilds wrote:

Curious how others fit stuff into the swat box. This is all new to me and I am attempting to ride without a hydration pack. Seems like no matter how I pack stuff in there the tool bag slides down and I hear it moving around a lot. Anyone have the same issue? Open to tips and tricks.

Currently have tube, CO2 tool/cartridge, 2 tire levers and a wolftooth chain tool. Very tight but it all fits in the bag. Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

I wrapped a shop rag with a around a smallish pump and I slide it way up the down tube before I put the tool bag in. Just make sure you put a zip tie tail through the bottom of the rag so you can pull it out. Mine got stuck once. As far as the bag, pull the valve core out of your tube, roll it so ALL the air is out, then reinsert the core. Fold the flattened tube in half twice and it should lay nicely at the bottom of the bag leaving plenty of room for all sorts of stuff.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 17:33 Quote

Hoping to put a carbon handlebar on this, red shock oem decals, and still waiting on the 150mm shaft for the front shock.
Now wondering if I should do a crazy colour on the grips like mint green lol.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 5:43 Quote
Does anyone know the seatpost diameter for sworks frameset s4. I just ordered the bike but want to make sure inget the correct seat post. I have been seeing different sizes listed 30.9 and 34.9? Also heard it uses a shim??

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
I wrapped a shop rag with a around a smallish pump and I slide it way up the down tube before I put the tool bag in. Just make sure you put a zip tie tail through the bottom of the rag so you can pull it out. Mine got stuck once. As far as the bag, pull the valve core out of your tube, roll it so ALL the air is out, then reinsert the core. Fold the flattened tube in half twice and it should lay nicely at the bottom of the bag leaving plenty of room for all sorts of stuff.

I will give the pump idea a shot. Might still need a shorter pump. I was using a new tube so no air was in it. I will try folding it using your method and see.

R-M-R wrote:
Yeah, seating the bead is the wildcard. My experience has been that the bead is rarely unseated; usually it's just a deflated tire from a cut at the bead or in the tread.

Can't comment on what fits in the SWAT, as I don't have a Stumpjumper, I just watch this thread as a product manager because it's an interesting bike with some unique features. My solution is to use a pump bracket that tucks under my bottle cage, which I assume you could also do and would free up space in your SWAT compartment.

I thought about the pump being mounted to the bottle cage bolts too but might have to be just right. The edges of the Swat door are raised on either side there the pump mount would hold the pump. So if it is just a straight piece of plastic I don't see how it would fit. Would need to bolt to the door then raise at a slight angle to clear the raised portion on the edge of the door. I thought I had the mount that came with my pump but can't find it Frown


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006695
Mobile Version of Website