2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Lavacon wrote:
Anyone else's rear tire buzzing the rear stay when hitting jumps and such? Pretty sure it's not my ass on the tire...

I'm on the stock tires too... Wasn't expecting that.

check your spoke tension. sometimes new wheels tend to loose tension after a bit of riding.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
After two months waiting for the wheels, build finally complete !

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 20:37 Quote
Yeah! Your bike looks killer. I like how it looks in the rain! AND, you may have just solved a problem for me.

I was thinking about maybe going w/a different stem (have a Renthal Apex). This one looked nice on your bike (Nukeproof Horizon) and I found I can get it w/the rise in 31.8 50mm I want AND the length. It also comes in "copper" which looks like orange, so I think I found it. BaM!

~JSV

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 7:24 Quote
You can get the i9 in actual orange, I have the 50mm in 35.0, but they also make it in 31.8mm.

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 11:45 Quote
bentin wrote:
You can get the i9 in actual orange, I have the 50mm in 35.0, but they also make it in 31.8mm.
Oh yeah I've seen the i9 stems, very nice. I like this Nukeproof a lot. A little less expensive too, and available in the size and color I want.
That "copper" they have is very close to orange, and frankly I thought my cascade was going to be MORE orange and LESS copper looking, so maybe they'll match.

I swear when I saw the "orange" offered by Cascade, and their photos, it looked like a true orange and looked powder coated. The part is more copper/orange and is anodized. No biggie' of course. Still looks great and I'll never want to ride this bike w/o the CC link after the difference it made.

I'm just giving my last deciding thoughts on the Nukeproof Horizon stem like you have there. Probably will order it as soon as I feel like spending the $$ lol!

~JSV

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 21:57 Quote
Anyone have any idea if a Fox DPX 2 or Float X will fit the regular Stumpjumper carbon?

I’m on the fence on whether to go to a Factory Fox 34 or 36 reduced to 140mm as a fork upgrade, but for sure I’m going to go with one of the two bc I just cannot get that Rhythm fork my bike came quite how I want it to perform. As for rear shock options, the Float X looks like the best choice between shocks for aggressive trail riding, but it looks pretty tight in there with just the DPS!

Thank you for any insight!

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 0:57 Quote
afterbangin wrote:
Anyone have any idea if a Fox DPX 2 or Float X will fit the regular Stumpjumper carbon?

I’m on the fence on whether to go to a Factory Fox 34 or 36 reduced to 140mm as a fork upgrade, but for sure I’m going to go with one of the two bc I just cannot get that Rhythm fork my bike came quite how I want it to perform. As for rear shock options, the Float X looks like the best choice between shocks for aggressive trail riding, but it looks pretty tight in there with just the DPS!

Thank you for any insight!
I assume this is referring to the 2021? I have the 2019, and unless that part of the frame has been severely altered, I can't see why the DPX2 wouldn't fit comfortably in there? Here's a pic I took a while back and you can see the DPX2 on my 2019 WITH the Cascade link too:
Didn t know if the front MuckyNutz would fit with the way the carbon is shaped inside the seatstay where it attaches to the link. Fit perfect. This made a noticeable difference. The one that fits under the seat doesn t help too much but still helped a little. The two together is a great idea.
That's an after market factory DPX2 w/Stumpjumper tuning. No issues really, but limits my water bottle length. I'm almost certain that particular part of the frame (if you have a 2021) isn't different as far as space. I think the angle of the shock placement changed a little bit on the 2021. You'd have LESS TRAVEL than I have, and you'd need a different size due to the stroke even if the eye-to-eye measurement is the same. The 2019 FSR LT expert I have has 140mm travel, that's a 55mm stroke if I remember, and the 2021 has 130mm or 120mm travel, I think it's 130 but you'll know that.

I don't know your weight or what kind of trail riding you do or how truly aggressive it actually is, but with this CC link the DPX2 is everything I could've wanted. It's amazing. And once I realized after the CC link it rode better with a little more PSI once I wasn't afraid to add it, the bike handles amazing. The Float X2 is indeed heftier and will be more suited for nastier DH riding I'm sure, and has one more adjustment than the DPX2. The DPX2 also had a 3-position switch, and that was a good reason for me to try this one first.

~JSV

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
Agreed, I have the stock DPX2 on my S5 EVO and I have to run a 20oz bottle instead of a 24oz to clear the reservoir. I will likely change to a Float X though as the DPX2 is a little soft in the mid range, even with the Spesh tune and Cascade link.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
Replaced both the Rhythm and DPS on my '21 SJ. So much better now.

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
Thank you for all the responses. I think I’m going to wait until the Float X becomes available in the 190x45 and give that a go. I kind of feel like I’m trying to fill the need for two different bikes with only one, as I’ve always previously had at least a DH bike, a trail bike, and a dirtjumper. I know at some point I’ll want to build a bike park/shuttle run bike with 160-170mm of travel, but the reality is the trails I will ride 90% of the time have a lot of climbing involved to earn those descents. And I’m okay with that!

But I think the Stumpjumper can be setup the way I want it to ride, which I think isn’t a limitation of how much travel it has, but a limitation of buying a $4k bike and the suspension in that price point not being the quality I’m used to.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
Picking up my '21 Comp next week and was wondering about the swat box.

Does it come with the pouches or do you have to purchase those separate?

Has anyone tried to fit the swat water bladder that's made for the EVO in the regular Stumpy?

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
Onisorbma wrote:

Has anyone tried to fit the swat water bladder that's made for the EVO in the regular Stumpy?

My Comp came with the large pouch. Fit's all my "oh shit" stuff pretty well.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Onisorbma wrote:

Yeah definitely there's a "roll up" pouch, and on my 2019 carbon expert he SWAT bag also came with an additional internal smaller bag inside THAT one. There's plenty of space in that pretty hefty down tube to put even more if you want. Basically the whole down tube can be used for smuggling, or whatever you want (LOL).

The 2021 MAY be a little bit different? but I think our down tubes are about the same size. The EVO has a little bit larger down tube, so the SWAT space will be slightly larger. Not sure if that water bladder would fit, but since they're soft and collapse I'd assume it would fit if you had it filled to less than 100% capacity. I was thinking of possibly doing the same myself--getting the EVO bladder just to have it when I didn't want to carry my backpack bladder.

Having the SWAT is a game-changer for me!! Love it, wouldn't want to be without it. Has a quality multi-tool snapped under the bottle cage too. With that, and having the OneUp EDC threaded in my steerer, my Stumpy is well-equipped.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
I have the Evo but I was talking to a guy a while back that said a smaller platypus bladder fits in his new stumpjumper, but I can’t remember what size. At least it’s a starting point!

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Thanks for the replies. Thats great, pretty excited about it! Would be awesome to shed the backpack for longer rides and still have more than one bottle of water too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.504916
Mobile Version of Website