2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
I’ve been out of the bike loop for a couple of years and looking to get a bike that can nurture my dream of doing the bc bike race.

I’m out of shape and bad technical decender. My last rig is as 160 mm, 27,5, 66,5 ha enduro bike.

I’m contemplating the stumpjumper alu comp 2021. Seems heavy though. Do you see this as a decent choice for bc bike race? Would be changing some smaller stuff to make it lighter but probably not the wheels.

I could go with an older stumpjumper 29, like maybe a 2017 and have more room to make it lighter and throw on an angleset if it ever comes out a compatible one.

Or should I be looking at lighter bikes with less travel?

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
So, I might just having a brain fart, but I picked up one of these chain guards:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/xtr-m9100/SM-CD800-I.html

It doesn't seem to fit my bike (21 Comp Carbon). It takes both spacers to get it to poke out enough to actually cover the chain without rubbing, but using both spacers makes the bolts rub on the chainring. Using the single thicker spacer prevents the chainring rub but doesn't sit over my chain without being at an angle, which is incorrect as far as I can tell.

Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Lavacon wrote:
So, I might just having a brain fart, but I picked up one of these chain guards:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/xtr-m9100/SM-CD800-I.html

It doesn't seem to fit my bike (21 Comp Carbon). It takes both spacers to get it to poke out enough to actually cover the chain without rubbing, but using both spacers makes the bolts rub on the chainring. Using the single thicker spacer prevents the chainring rub but doesn't sit over my chain without being at an angle, which is incorrect as far as I can tell.

Thoughts?

What kind of bolts did you get with it ? Some have a thin flat head specific for these kind of guide. If the bolt heads are big enough and it’s rubbing lightly I would dremel them a mm or two

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Selling mine if anyone is looking for one, I love the bike but have 2 other bikes and my wife needs a new car..

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3108093/

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
What kind of bolts did you get with it ? Some have a thin flat head specific for these kind of guide. If the bolt heads are big enough and it’s rubbing lightly I would dremel them a mm or two

They are round capped, definitely not flat at all. I was definitely wishing they came flat. You are right though, looking like a job for the Dremel. I needed a new pack of grind wheels anyways. Queue the home depot jingle...

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 17:48 Quote
connerkuhns wrote:
Selling mine if anyone is looking for one, I love the bike but have 2 other bikes and my wife needs a new car..

Did you get any messages yet with, “Will you do $1000 shipped”? :-)

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
connerkuhns wrote:

Did you get any messages yet with, “Will you do $1000 shipped”? :-)

Surprisingly no! But I would do 7500 shipped..

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 22:53 Quote
MendelMu wrote:
I’ve been out of the bike loop for a couple of years and looking to get a bike that can nurture my dream of doing the bc bike race.

I’m out of shape and bad technical decender. My last rig is as 160 mm, 27,5, 66,5 ha enduro bike.

I’m contemplating the stumpjumper alu comp 2021. Seems heavy though. Do you see this as a decent choice for bc bike race? Would be changing some smaller stuff to make it lighter but probably not the wheels.

I could go with an older stumpjumper 29, like maybe a 2017 and have more room to make it lighter and throw on an angleset if it ever comes out a compatible one.

i was thinking along the same lines as you. From some vids I’ve seen of that race, “downcountry” setups seem to be popular for the BCBR. Still, since I’d want a bike that could do more than just XC stuff, I was also considering the Stumpjumper instead of an Epic Evo… perhaps with some lightweight upgrades such as tires and wheels to make up for the weight difference a bit.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:11 Quote
MB3 wrote:
MendelMu wrote:

i was thinking along the same lines as you. From some vids I’ve seen of that race, “downcountry” setups seem to be popular for the BCBR. Still, since I’d want a bike that could do more than just XC stuff, I was also considering the Stumpjumper instead of an Epic Evo… perhaps with some lightweight upgrades such as tires and wheels to make up for the weight difference a bit.

Switch the cassette to gx eagle would be a pretty cheap no brainer, tubeless and long term maybe the cranks.

As of now it’s pretty much between this or an occam.

One thing to notice with the alu version is that it has longer cs so probably not as agile on tight trails as the carbon version.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
Following the noise and vibration issues on the Shimano SLX brakes.
I have tried new pads, checked the caliper alignment again and still a weird vibration and rattling while braking.
So I checked the pistons and one was not moving very freely, I pushed it out and discovered it is completely broken inside.
The two small pistons also seem to be broken because when I move them it feels crunchy...

We go on MTB holidays this weekend great timing !

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
MendelMu wrote:
MB3 wrote:
MendelMu wrote:

Switch the cassette to gx eagle would be a pretty cheap no brainer, tubeless and long term maybe the cranks.

One thing to notice with the alu version is that it has longer cs so probably not as agile on tight trails as the carbon version.

Oops, the NX matches with the shimano free hub so gx is no go, maybe third party casette and pray that it does match with the sram derailleur.

Anyways went ahead and ordered the alloy comp. The wheels are decent so they can stay on for a while.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 14:42 Quote
MendelMu wrote:
MendelMu wrote:
MB3 wrote:

Oops, the NX matches with the shimano free hub so gx is no go, maybe third party casette and pray that it does match with the sram derailleur.

Anyways went ahead and ordered the alloy comp. The wheels are decent so they can stay on for a while.

NX is Eagle, just like GX, so it's on an xD driver, not Shimano.

Edit, oopsie, looks like they still make a non Eagle version. Is that what Spesh is speccing? That seems lame.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
bentin wrote:
MendelMu wrote:
MendelMu wrote:

NX is Eagle, just like GX, so it's on an xD driver, not Shimano.

Edit, oopsie, looks like they still make a non Eagle version. Is that what Spesh is speccing? That seems lame.

Based on this the nx eagle is an HG and not XD

“SRAM NX Eagle cassette and SRAM NX Eagle chain specifications. The SRAM NX Eagle PG-1230 cassette differs from GX, X01 and XX1 Eagle cassettes in that it uses Shimano's HG freehub body standard instead of SRAM's own XD Driver.” https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/groupset-mountain/sram-nx-eagle-review/

I presumed the NX to be eagle on alloy comp and the suggestion to switch to the much lighter gx came from a magazine so getting conflicting information. I emailed specialized and asked.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 16:50 Quote
Yeah, based on it being an 11t, not 10t, I’d guess that it’s HG like you said.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
The nx eagle cassette isn’t actually directly replaceable with a gx or higher. It is cross compatible in that you could run a different derailleur, chain, shifter (I think), chain ring or cranks from a different eagle group set with the nx cassette but you can’t upgrade the cassette without also switching the driver. It’s a bit odd really.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009439
Mobile Version of Website