2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
No, you can’t change the eye to eye length. So it needs to be 195. 195 x whatever you want to experiment with.

I haven’t heard of anyone checking to see if the frame clears and allows for 140mm of travel.

Let all of the air out on your stock shock, and see how close the frame gets to bottoming out anywhere on itself. If it looks like it’ll clear a few more mm of travel, then cross your fingers and gamble with a longer stroke shock.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
No, you can’t change the eye to eye length. So it needs to be 195. 195 x whatever you want to experiment with.

I haven’t heard of anyone checking to see if the frame clears and allows for 140mm of travel.

Let all of the air out on your stock shock, and see how close the frame gets to bottoming out anywhere on itself. If it looks like it’ll clear a few more mm of travel, then cross your fingers and gamble with a longer stroke shock.

I’m an idiot… for some reason 195x45 was what I had in my head for the shock size. Yes 190mm eye to eye will work. Doing a 51mm stroke shock gives you 147mm of travel and that might be a stretch in term of clearance.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:

I’m an idiot… for some reason 195x45 was what I had in my head for the shock size. Yes 190mm eye to eye will work. Doing a 51mm stroke shock gives you 147mm of travel and that might be a stretch in term of clearance.

There’s a 2021 S-Works for sale sale in the classifieds with that exact shock setup. I just bought a SJ comp yesterday, and am looking at the same setup. That shock coupled with a 150mm Fox 36 would make the bike absolutely perfect IMO.

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
can anyone with a s4 stumpy and 10-52 cassette/30t chainring tell me how many total links there are please? i just want to confirm i havent done it wrong before a trip away

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 12:39 Quote
Any chance you have a link to that post that says they are using the longer stroke shock? I scoured all the Stumpy listings on PB and didnt see any that said they had an upgraded shock.

DeWilmoth wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:

There’s a 2021 S-Works for sale sale in the classifieds with that exact shock setup. I just bought a SJ comp yesterday, and am looking at the same setup. That shock coupled with a 150mm Fox 36 would make the bike absolutely perfect IMO.

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
can anyone with a s4 stumpy and 10-52 cassette/30t chainring tell me how many total links there are please? i just want to confirm i havent done it wrong before a trip away

I have a S2 stumpjumper (chainstay length 432 mm) with SRAM X01 10-52 cassette with 30T chainring with 58 links (including quick link)

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 16:31 Quote
lembocoug wrote:
Any chance you have a link to that post that says they are using the longer stroke shock? I scoured all the Stumpy listings on PB and didnt see any that said they had an upgraded shock.

DeWilmoth wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:

Sure, see below.

https://pinkbike.com/buysell/3144988/

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 4:23 Quote
bigquotesDidzy2009 wrote:

I have a S2 stumpjumper (chainstay length 432 mm) with SRAM X01 10-52 cassette with 30T chainring with 58 links (including quick link)

thank you so much for doing that - so 116 seperate links including quick link

really appreciate that very helpful thank you Smile

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
Has anyone ridden the latest Stumpy and Transition Spur? Wondering how much more capable the Stumpy is on descents.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Has anyone ridden the latest Stumpy and Transition Spur? Wondering how much more capable the Stumpy is on descents.

A lot more capable. more suspension and slacker, longer wheelbase. I felt more comfortable at higher speeds on the stumpy, and it tracked the ground well. Similar weight for frames (carbon), and i found the stumpy to be more efficient when open Eek

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

A lot more capable. more suspension and slacker, longer wheelbase. I felt more comfortable at higher speeds on the stumpy, and it tracked the ground well. Similar weight for frames (carbon), and i found the stumpy to be more efficient when open Eek

Yup.. makes sense. I ended up going 130mm Fork on my Spur and just want more... tempted to swap frames.

With a 130 fork the Spur is at 65.5 HTA... might need to run the same on the Stumpy; bb height in stumpy low position seems pretty low... but an extra 10mm F/R still sounds nice.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

Yup.. makes sense. I ended up going 130mm Fork on my Spur and just want more... tempted to swap frames.

With a 130 fork the Spur is at 65.5 HTA... might need to run the same on the Stumpy; bb height in stumpy low position seems pretty low... but an extra 10mm F/R still sounds nice.

I had 175mm cranks on my stumpy and didnt really have any pedal strike issues. I went from a spur to stumpy and it was a very good move, i would get another stumpy if i had the funds/could sell my phantom.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

I had 175mm cranks on my stumpy and didnt really have any pedal strike issues. I went from a spur to stumpy and it was a very good move, i would get another stumpy if i had the funds/could sell my phantom.

Nice, I assume you were running in hi position on 175s? I'm on 170 cranks with the Spur which works well.

Low position on the stumpy at 42mm bb drop seems like a lot of drop. I know high position at 35mm drop would fine though.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
BB height in Stumpy low position is pretty low, too low for 175mm cranks, imo. The low position is great for fast flowing trails. I have mine in the high position, much better for rocky, technical terrain.

Very impressed with this bike so far. It hangs with the x-country bikes on the smoother trails and hangs with the Enduro bikes in the rocky stuff. The Stumpy does well with 140 / 130, it can handle most of the bigger stuff but still pedal efficiently.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006862
Mobile Version of Website