2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
DJO3910 wrote:
BB height in Stumpy low position is pretty low, too low for 175mm cranks, imo. The low position is great for fast flowing trails. I have mine in the high position, much better for rocky, technical terrain.

Very impressed with this bike so far. It hangs with the x-country bikes on the smoother trails and hangs with the Enduro bikes in the rocky stuff. The Stumpy does well with 140 / 130, it can handle most of the bigger stuff but still pedal efficiently.

Thanks. I'll probably try to demo an s4 or just pull the trigger.

If anyone wants to trade frames for a pristine ridewrapped Spur (size L) LMK Wink

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

Yup.. makes sense. I ended up going 130mm Fork on my Spur and just want more... tempted to swap frames.

With a 130 fork the Spur is at 65.5 HTA... might need to run the same on the Stumpy; bb height in stumpy low position seems pretty low... but an extra 10mm F/R still sounds nice.

I had 175mm cranks on my stumpy and didnt really have any pedal strike issues. I went from a spur to stumpy and it was a very good move, i would get another stumpy if i had the funds/could sell my phantom.

Nice, I assume you were running in hi position on 175s? I'm on 170 cranks with the Spur which works well.

Low position on the stumpy at 42mm bb drop seems like a lot of drop. I know high position at 35mm drop would fine though.

Nope lol i ran it in low with 175s. I had 175s on the spur as well. I would use 170s but the 175s were all i could get at the time, but yeah no issues despite very low bb on the stumpy in low setting.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
High is 340mm, that’s the lowest I prefer. The low setting is too low. I run 170mm cranks. It works out fine for the chunky trails I’m riding.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
High is 340mm, that’s the lowest I prefer. The low setting is too low. I run 170mm cranks. It works out fine for the chunky trails I’m riding.

Nice - I feel like that’s what I’d have to do. Nothing worse than not clearing tech sections you can normally get because you’re on a super low bb

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Tinshield wrote:

Nice - I feel like that’s what I’d have to do. Nothing worse than not clearing tech sections you can normally get because you’re on a super low bb

I’d say so. If it was too low I’d be really annoyed.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
So I have a spare 160mm rockshox pike and was wondering if I could put it on my son’s 2021 alloy stumpjumper. He rides park most of the time on it so I’m not too worried about peddling efficacy. Do you think adding 20mm would be to much?

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
DontBiteMyDog wrote:
So I have a spare 160mm rockshox pike and was wondering if I could put it on my son’s 2021 alloy stumpjumper. He rides park most of the time on it so I’m not too worried about peddling efficacy. Do you think adding 20mm would be to much?

I would get a 150 or 140 air spring as they can be had for $35-50 and are relatively easy to install (or you can have a shop do it for ~$100). The new stumpys ride great with a 150 fork but 160 will alter the geo too much and make the bike feel unbalanced. It will also void the warranty while 150 is approved by Specialized (at least for carbon frames)

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
Sizing:

I've upgraded from a large alloy 29er to an S3 Carbon

Overall the bike feels fine but I'm feeling like I need 10mm on the stem. I think the stock is 45mm so I'm considering a 55 / 60mm stem.

Anyone done this on an S3? Did you keep the bars at 800mm (I'm thinking 780 would probably work best if I'm going longer on the stem

Pics of your stem / bar setup would be nice if you have them?

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 23:26 Quote
aphex2k wrote:
Sizing:

Overall the bike feels fine but I'm feeling like I need 10mm on the stem. I think the stock is 45mm so I'm considering a 55 / 60mm stem.

Anyone done this on an S3? Did you keep the bars at 800mm (I'm thinking 780 would probably work best if I'm going longer on the stem

I ride a 2019 FSR carbon expert LT 150/140 XL/S5, so I hope this still fits the category. Since it's about bars I didn't think it'd have to be a 2021?

I LOVE Deity bars and went with the BlackLabel 38 mil rise. Paired with my Renthal Apex 40mm reach w/a 6deg rise. Fit feels perfect I guess, but there are times I could also dig a teeny bit more reach, but not necessary. Would've went w/a Copperhead of course, but they don't make that with any rise (which I don't get why?).

I've heard good AND bad about the Renthal, but I have to say it's very minimalistic and yet it feels like it's welded to the bars. s00per stable. I really have no performance issue at all. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the Apex Renthal is just not a good fit for some riders' expectations. I don't have great pics but there's a few anyway:
I see this in my mind even when I m NOT riding
photo
I see this in many places I ride. Sometimes I just wonder and say nah-not today and sometime we just go for it and make our own path.

~JSV

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
aphex2k wrote:
Sizing:

Why do you want to try a longer stem? Does cockpit feel short when standing, seated, or both? Or are you having trouble weighting the front end? How tall are you?

Generally I've found stems longer than 50mm don't play well with modern bikes with long reaches, slack HA's, and short offset forks.

If you are feeling a bit cramped I'd try a higher rise bar and dropping the stem a couple spacers as this will increase reach without changing bar height. Wider bars bring your weight forward so if you're feeling cramped I wouldn't cut them down yet. If you are having trouble weighting the front I'd try decreasing rear sag or adding compression and perhaps try the high setting.

I am 6'5"/195cm and am really comfortable on my S5 with a 50mm +6d stem (=45mm 0d) and 40 x 800mm bars.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 18:36 Quote
2021 Stumpy Comp Alloy. Right at 500 miles and boom...freehub is blown. Love riding this time of year. Hoping for a quick warranty replacement or maybe even upgrade the whole thing to get to a GX cassette.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
Started to build my new SJ EVO frame last night. Have to get a different brake adapter for the front, but hopefully I’ll be done with it tonight.

SJ EVO

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
I'm really warming up to the new trend of the glossy look coming back. Is the glossy available on carbon too or is it just the new alloy or what?

~JSV

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
Just wanted to share that I’m mostly done with my new build. Not being a bicycle mechanic, I fumbled around with a few things, but it’s all there and just needs to be better dialed in! Cannot wait to get a ride in on it.

SJ EVO

SJ EVO

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016846
Mobile Version of Website