2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
Yeah at that point i would just put the 36 on the regular stumpjumper and get an enduro. Even if you don’t think you have the need for an enduro, maybe having one will give you an excuse to ride more gnarly stuff.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 15:58 Quote
Yeah, a 38 is in the mail for the EVO. Shout out to Evan at Dirt Merchant !!

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Yeah at that point i would just put the 36 on the regular stumpjumper and get an enduro. Even if you don’t think you have the need for an enduro, maybe having one will give you an excuse to ride more gnarly stuff.

Man those days are over for me. A growing family and a career preclude me from doing stupid shit anymore. Lol

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 16:14 Quote
Have a 150mm 36 on my regular stumpy and a 170mm 38 on my alloy evo, neither bike feels unbalanced and there is a big separation between how they ride

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 16:51 Quote
Not sure what all the flak is about, the 36 is just a better fork for aggressive riding. The EVO is a very different bike even with the stock 36. I only have an EVO but have considered adding a regular SJ and would likely broom the 34 pretty quickly too.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Have a 150mm 36 on my regular stumpy and a 170mm 38 on my alloy evo, neither bike feels unbalanced and there is a big separation between how they ride

Yep, I had a 2020 Stumpy EVO pro last year, it rode completely different than the 2019 Stumpjumper I had a short stint with. I can only imagine the 2022 iterations of both are even more disparate. Which, to me, is even better.

The Stumpjumper is a single track romper, and the EVO is a more gravity oriented sled that's overall more playful than the Enduro, which is a shorter-travel DH rig meant to plow through the worst chunk. I have absolutely no need for an Enduro anymore, or DH bike.

MTB YumYum just did a B2B on the 2022 Stumpy and Stumpy EVO, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcib5l01oUs

bentin wrote:
Not sure what all the flak is about, the 36 is just a better fork for aggressive riding. The EVO is a very different bike even with the stock 36. I only have an EVO but have considered adding a regular SJ and would likely broom the 34 pretty quickly too.

Agreed! And the 36 is just a overall better fork for bigger guys/gals. When I went from a Lyrik to a 38 on my previous Stumpy EVO, the trackability and stability was staggeringly improved. But the 38 did not mesh well with the inherent flexibility of that generation of Stumpy EVO frame. The Lyrik matched that generation of Stumpjumper better. And knowing how much Specialized improved the rigidity of the 2022 EVO reassured me that a 38 would be quite alright this go around.

Frankly, I love the Lyrik and am partial to Rock Shox, their off-the-shelf tunes just seem easier to dial in a short period of time.

I'm hoping the Lyrik is uprated to a 36mm chassis for 2023, keeping the Pike and SID in the 35mm category. The ZEB is unreal, but I didn't feel like selling the Fox Float X for a Super Deluxe (.....yet). I like to be matchy matchy LOL

Anywho, will post up some pics when its all together.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Simann wrote:

Yep, I had a 2020 Stumpy EVO pro last year, it rode completely different than the 2019 Stumpjumper I had a short stint with. I can only imagine the 2022 iterations of both are even more disparate. Which, to me, is even better.

Old stumpy Evo had a 63.5 degree HTA and the old reg stumpy was 66.5 HTA. Also reach was way different between the two as well as BB height and STA.

Now both stumpy and Evo got the “longer, lower, slacker” treatment - very similar reach, STA and HTA (depending on geo setting)

They’re actually quite a bit closer now than they were before on geometry. Travel and kinematics changed but if you over-fork the reg stumpy then then you’re minimizing some of that.

I think the EVO just about perfectly splits the difference between the reg Stumpy and Enduro. Would have a hard time owning more than one bike if I had an Evo, unless you wanted an XC rig. But an Enduro is a lot to slog on long days, that’s where a reg stumpy is a nice complimentary bike.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
2021 Stump vs. Evo. Pretty dang close. With a 150mm 36 on the Reg Stump, the head angle slackens to match the EVO.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/specialized-stumpjumper-evo-comp-2021-s4,specialized-stumpjumper-comp-2021-s4-lo/

2020 Stump vs. Evo. VERY different.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/specialized-s-works-stumpjumper-29-2020-l,specialized-stumpjumper-evo-comp-carbon-29-2020-s3,specialized-stumpjumper-evo-comp-carbon-29-2020-s2/

I've got the regular stump and enduro and it is amazing. Way too much overlap between the two 21'+ Stumpjumpers. I would ride the exact same trails with either stump.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
Yup. Nice geo comparison link - much better than my terrible explanation

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
hi all anyone fit a fidlock water bottle on a S3 frame im looking to gt one

thank you

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
olimcycles wrote:
hi all anyone fit a fidlock water bottle on a S3 frame im looking to gt one

thank you

Yep….Been using a Fidlock on my S3 since new, no problem.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 16:08 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Simann wrote:

Old stumpy Evo had a 63.5 degree HTA and the old reg stumpy was 66.5 HTA. Also reach was way different between the two as well as BB height and STA.

Now both stumpy and Evo got the “longer, lower, slacker” treatment - very similar reach, STA and HTA (depending on geo setting)

They’re actually quite a bit closer now than they were before on geometry. Travel and kinematics changed but if you over-fork the reg stumpy then then you’re minimizing some of that.

I think the EVO just about perfectly splits the difference between the reg Stumpy and Enduro. Would have a hard time owning more than one bike if I had an Evo, unless you wanted an XC rig. But an Enduro is a lot to slog on long days, that’s where a reg stumpy is a nice complimentary bike.

You forget a key differentiator between the 21+ SJ and the SJ EVO... the rear suspension. The SJ has a single pivot with carbon flex seat stay with a digressive tune shock. It rides completely different than the 4-bar horst-link of the current EVO and previous SJ and SJ EVO.

Specialized themselves has stated you can increase front travel by 10mm (140 to 150) on 21+ SJ (non EVO) without negatively affecting overall geometry and kinematics. Don't know where you are getting at about the "minimizing" part...

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 16:27 Quote
Simann wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
Simann wrote:

You forget a key differentiator between the 21+ SJ and the SJ EVO... the rear suspension. The SJ has a single pivot with carbon flex seat stay with a digressive tune shock. It rides completely different than the 4-bar horst-link of the current EVO and previous SJ and SJ EVO.

Specialized themselves has stated you can increase front travel by 10mm (140 to 150) on 21+ SJ (non EVO) without negatively affecting overall geometry and kinematics. Don't know where you are getting at about the "minimizing" part...

I'm assuming he's saying you minimize the difference between the two bikes by adding a bigger burlier fork to the Regular Stumpy.

I don't doubt they ride differently. I would still have the same argument of "Why...?" even if they were two bikes from completely different companies. Just why buy two bikes that have the EXACT reach, HTA, and other nearly matching geo numbers? Idk, just a very unique quiver IMO.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Why? Because I can. Big Grin

My LBS had the S4 S-works SJ complete bike in stock, so I pounced on it.

I had been looking for an large Epic EVO or S4 SJ EVO frame, but came up empty handed until a few days AFTER I bought the S-works SJ, I got connected with a shop in the north east who had the EVO frame in stock, so I bought it too.

I have about 2.5 bikes worth of parts laying around at any time in the garage, so I figured I would build the EVO up. I still may sneak an Epic EVO into the stable when my wife isn't looking, LOL. I still would love to have another short-travel "down country" ripper.

I build generally 2-3 bikes a year (2020 was a wash), consider it a hobby. Cheaper than street drugs and safer than being a bush pilot, I say. I'm always buying spare parts when I see a deal. Most of the time all I need to buy to build a new bike up is a frame and a fork (and sometimes a shock).

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
Simann wrote:
""...I still may sneak an Epic EVO into the stable when my wife isn't looking, LOL..""
I LOVE your idea, but IF your wife reads these PinkBike forums... I have a feeling that one's not going to end well...

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007991
Mobile Version of Website