2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
Simann wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
Simann wrote:

Yep, I had a 2020 Stumpy EVO pro last year, it rode completely different than the 2019 Stumpjumper I had a short stint with. I can only imagine the 2022 iterations of both are even more disparate. Which, to me, is even better.

Old stumpy Evo had a 63.5 degree HTA and the old reg stumpy was 66.5 HTA. Also reach was way different between the two as well as BB height and STA.

Now both stumpy and Evo got the “longer, lower, slacker” treatment - very similar reach, STA and HTA (depending on geo setting)

They’re actually quite a bit closer now than they were before on geometry. Travel and kinematics changed but if you over-fork the reg stumpy then then you’re minimizing some of that.

I think the EVO just about perfectly splits the difference between the reg Stumpy and Enduro. Would have a hard time owning more than one bike if I had an Evo, unless you wanted an XC rig. But an Enduro is a lot to slog on long days, that’s where a reg stumpy is a nice complimentary bike.

You forget a key differentiator between the 21+ SJ and the SJ EVO... the rear suspension. The SJ has a single pivot with carbon flex seat stay with a digressive tune shock. It rides completely different than the 4-bar horst-link of the current EVO and previous SJ and SJ EVO.

Specialized themselves has stated you can increase front travel by 10mm (140 to 150) on 21+ SJ (non EVO) without negatively affecting overall geometry and kinematics. Don't know where you are getting at about the "minimizing" part...

I did not "forget a key differentiation" - re-read my post, it says "travel and *kinematics* changed"

IMO it's not even a contest, 3 degree difference in HTA and significantly longer reach makes a much more meaningful difference than going from a horst link to flex stay. I've ridden the flex stay and it feels great. Slightly less sensitive and more efficient but the shock tune really makes it ride like a longer travel bike when it needs to.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 17:49 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Simann wrote:
""...I still may sneak an Epic EVO into the stable when my wife isn't looking, LOL..""
I LOVE your idea, but IF your wife reads these PinkBike forums... I have a feeling that one's not going to end well...

~JSV

Right? lol

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
Have the option to get an SJ expert in about a month. Planning to run 150mm fork but torn on which option. I’m 175lb rider weight

considering (in order)
1) Pike ultimate 150mm
2) Lyrik ultimate 150mm
3) Stock fox 34 performance elite w/150 mm air spring

36 is out because if I want to go that stiff I’ll just run the Lyrik (which I prefer). Particularly curious how the 150 Pike stands up against a Lyrik or 36 at 150mm, and if anyone is running a 34 at 150mm, how they like it.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
Just my 2-cents, and from riding a 2019 carbon expert, the PIKEs (150mm) are Awesome. 35mm stanchions. Extremely responsive, easy SIMPLE to get adjusted, set-it-and-forget-it. I hardly ever even think about my forks when riding they do exactly what they should for that bike. Don't know why the FOX's are believed to be the go-to forks when there are SO many great reviews from great riders about the PIKE. WAS going to go w/the FOX's, tried these out, now I'm sold.

~JSV

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 23:11 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Have the option to get an SJ expert in about a month. Planning to run 150mm fork but torn on which option. I’m 175lb rider weight

considering (in order)
1) Pike ultimate 150mm
2) Lyrik ultimate 150mm

36 is out because if I want to go that stiff I’ll just run the Lyrik (which I prefer). Particularly curious how the 150 Pike stands up against a Lyrik or 36 at 150mm, and if anyone is running a 34 at 150mm, how they like it.

If you have another bigger enduro bike and are trying to keep things weight conscious I'd go with the Pike. The 34 can lack stiffness in the longer travel configurations compared to the Pike and I don't believe they offer a 150mm air shaft for the 2022 34.

The Lyrik or 36 are great options if you are looking to make the bike more capable without feeling like too much fork for the frame. I have a 150mm 36 on mine and it works great, and I had no issue with using the stumpy as my only bike while the big bike was out of commission

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
I had a Pike 150mm a couple years ago and have a 21 Fox 34 now in 140mm. It’s not a huge difference that I can tell.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
dresendsit wrote:

considering (in order)
1) Pike ultimate 150mm
2) Lyrik ultimate 150mm

First, i've ridden everything except an EXT Era and DVO.

Opinion: Rock Shox has been the standard for "set it and forget it." That was evident between the Pike, Lyrik and ZEB that I've had in the last two years. Prior to that, I was a diehard Fox'ophile.

HOWEVER, if I was to vote on an all-out feel and responsiveness, I would opt for another Cane Creek Helm MK2 Air. I've ran three of them on different builds, that fork is just amazing! Just as easy to set up as a Charger damper from RS, and as easy to service. But the sensitivity of the Cane Creek fork is just unmatched. I wish they had a 36 or 38mm version of it!

But, to match the increased rigidity of todays all-mountain, down-country and Enduro bikes, including the 2021+ SJ frames, I opted to go back to a Fox 36 (i'm a 210 lb rider). The fore-aft flex of the 35mm forks (Helm, Pike, Lyrik...) are engineered into their performance. Having an ultra stiff fork on a less torsionaly stiff frame never felt right. I ran a Fox 38 on my prior 2020 SJ EVO, it was simply too stiff and front-heavy. The Helm and Lyrik complimented that frame much better.

In a nutshell, if you are a lighter rider on an older pre-2021 SJ frame, you should be fine with a Lyrik or Pike in 150mm travel, my opinion is the Cane Creek is a superior fork. But if you are on the taller/heavier side like me, the added rigidity and torsional stiffness of a 36mm fork pairs well with the new stiffer frames.

Small notes on the 2021+ SJ frame weight and stiffness compared to previous generations:
https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/2021-specialized-stumpjumper-pro-review/

TLDR:

1.Rider weight matters here...
2. Opinion: Cane Creek Helm is a fantastic 35mm fork.

PAIRINGS:
-Stiff fork with stiff frame
-Flexi fork with flexi frame

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
Yeah you're definitely right about the weight thing, that's an important factor especially when these upper-end forks get very specific with their designs. Riding style and terrain is a biggie' too but weight has a serious factor. I'm riding that PIKE on my 2019 Stumpy too and I'm 6ft 160lbs, so no heavy weight spec's needed even on the shock.

~JSV

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
Awesome. Beautiful bikes, great frames. Can't go wrong with black-n-orange!!
tup

~JSV

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
fortbillfin wrote:
olimcycles wrote:
hi all anyone fit a fidlock water bottle on a S3 frame im looking to gt one

thank you

Yep….Been using a Fidlock on my S3 since new, no problem.

Nice one

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 18:05 Quote
What am I missing on the orange Fox 36? The Fox website only shows that color available in 160mm, but several people here show pics and say they’re 150mm. Not that color matters much to me, but still curious what I’m missing.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
Just change the air shaft. Ethan at Dirt Merchant hooked me up.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
Yeah don't they have the alternative options for different travel by replacing air-spring dampers? I know my PIKE is a 150 but has the option to handle a 160 airspring modification/replacement.

~JSV

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
Yep!

bigquotesThe 110-140mm shafts fit Factory and Performance 27.5" and 29" models, 150mm-160mm shaft is only compatible with 27.5" models

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/fox-racing-shox-34-float-air-shaft-2016-2021

I just bought an S works Epic Evo frame, so the 140mm factory 34 I have from the SJ (replaced with the 36) is getting reduced to 120 mm. Easy peasy!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006951
Mobile Version of Website