2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
Simann wrote:
Yep!

bigquotesThe 110-140mm shafts fit Factory and Performance 27.5" and 29" models, 150mm-160mm shaft is only compatible with 27.5" models

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/fox-racing-shox-34-float-air-shaft-2016-2021

I just bought an S works Epic Evo frame, so the 140mm factory 34 I have from the SJ (replaced with the 36) is getting reduced to 120 mm. Easy peasy!

Just FYI, for the 2021 29" 34 with the Grip2 Damper you can go to 150mm. Just emailed Fox about it and put in an order for the longer air spring.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:28 Quote
No shit? That's badass!

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
Thought I'd get in on the fork talk here.

I'm on a 21 comp carbon with the stock 34 rhythm, grip damper @ 140mm.

Not really digging it on bigger impacts. Any upgrade options out there for this thing or should I be shopping something better?

Kind of itching to make an upgrade this winter anyways

Shorter dude on an S2, 165lbs

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
I like my Fox 34 Grip 2 OK but if I was replacing it may go with a Pike 140mm. Had one before on another bike.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
Had an odd issue with my Fox 34 shock. I was having a hard time getting full travel, even though sag was set correctly. I aired down the shock completely (which made the shock compress) and pulled up on the top of the shock while stepping on the wheel. This moved the shock about 2” and I heard air transfer. The shock is *much* more supple to ride since then and I’m getting a lot more travel.

Any ideas what was causing this? Air stuck in negative chamber or something wrong with the shock? I’ve seen some older posts about Fox over-greasing shocks, but nothing recent and nothing on the 34.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
coachzed wrote:
Had an odd issue with my Fox 34 shock. I was having a hard time getting full travel, even though sag was set correctly. I aired down the shock completely (which made the shock compress) and pulled up on the top of the shock while stepping on the wheel. This moved the shock about 2” and I heard air transfer. The shock is *much* more supple to ride since then and I’m getting a lot more travel.

Any ideas what was causing this? Air stuck in negative chamber or something wrong with the shock? I’ve seen some older posts about Fox over-greasing shocks, but nothing recent and nothing on the 34.

Sounds like you likely had too much air in the positive chamber, which would result in the fork feeling very firm even at recommended pressure. This is why you have to press the fork down ~15% from full top out to hit the equalization dimple whenever changing pressure. You should be able to hear a hiss as the air transfers, hold the fork at that point until you stop hearing the air transfer.

Even with the correct amount of grease in the air spring, sometimes the dimple/transfer port can get clogged and prevent air from transferring. Usually if you add some more air and keep cycling/holding the fork at ~15% you can clear it up

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
When inflating the fork pump is a few times every 10-15psi. That will insure you have equal pressures in the chambers.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
Hey guys, just wanted some input on wheel set choice. I have a 21 Stumpy comp carbon. Stock wheels are 30mm internal width and a tad heavy. I think I know I will either go with NOBL or WeAreOne but I am not sure which width to go with.

WeAreOne: factions or unions, 27mm vs 30mm
Nobl: TR33 vs TR36, 27mm vs 30mm

For context i'm around 220lbs kitted up, single track rider, hits 4-5ft drops and small jumps.
I'll probably run 2.4" DHFll/Agressor combo. Thats still to be decided, but 2.4" probably.

I'm leaning towards WAO due to lifetime warranty, but undecided on rim width. Research shows 27mm for a 130mm travel bike, but I am not sure if being a slightly heavier rider means I should go (or stay) with 30mm width.

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
Badsoupp wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted some input on wheel set choice. I have a 21 Stumpy comp carbon. Stock wheels are 30mm internal width and a tad heavy. I think I know I will either go with NOBL or WeAreOne but I am not sure which width to go with.

For context i'm around 220lbs kitted up, single track rider, hits 4-5ft drops and small jumps.
I'll probably run 2.4" DHFll/Agressor combo. Thats still to be decided, but 2.4" probably.

I'm leaning towards WAO due to lifetime warranty, but undecided on rim width. Research shows 27mm for a 130mm travel bike, but I am not sure if being a slightly heavier rider means I should go (or stay) with 30mm width.

Thoughts?

Not sure where suspension travel dictates rim width, never heard of that. But rider weight and style of riding definitely does.

You could go either way, but with a 2.3 or 2.4" tire I would err on the side of the Faction or TR33 with the 27mm to keep the tires shape.

Have you looked at Industry Nine Trail carbon 280's? I've got two sets of those, 28mm inner width, fantastic wheel set.

I've ran both TR36 and 38's, absolutely fantastic rims and bulletproof.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
If anyone is selling a Fox DPS Factory from a Stumpjumper 2021 and can ship it to Sweden I might be interested.
Br Daniel

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
Ah I was just going based off of WAO's website saying that the Faction pairs nicely to a sub 140mm bike, then on Bike checks on the Nobl website, someone had a 21 Carbon comp stumpy on TR33's.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 4:58 Quote
I’m running Factions with DT350’s, 28 spokes and Bontrager XR4 2.4’s. Weight for the wheels out of the box was 1650 grams. Very strong wheels. Width is fine for me and I’m sure I can fit a bigger tire if I wanted. I really like the shape of the tires on these rims. Paid about $1400 from Custom Wheel Builder. I’m probably 210 dressed to ride.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
The roval control SLs or carbons or whatever they are, those are very good wheels. They come stock on the s-works version, and ive been using them on my enduro and they hold up on the gnarliest of trails, while still being sub 1500g. i weigh 180lbs.

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Badsoupp wrote:

Thoughts?

I have a 2021 SJ EVO Expert S3 size, and I'm running the WAO Union rims on i9 1/1 hubs, and am really impressed with them. I'm running 2.5 Minion DHF up front and a 2.4 Minion DHRII on the rear. I'm about 170lbs with kit on fwiw.
I have about 8 months riding on them now in the Sea to Sky area, and no complaints whatsoever.

Unfortunately I can't compare them to the stock Roval alloy wheelset, as I put the WAO's on before my first ride, and sold the Roval's.

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
bigquotesResearch shows 27mm for a 130mm travel bike, but I am not sure if being a slightly heavier rider means I should go (or stay) with 30mm width

I transferred the stock tires on my 22 Evo over to a set of Nox Farlow carbons (29mm internal). The front Butcher measures 2.5 knob to knob, and the rear comes in at 2.4. I am a good bit heavier than you at 270, but I have zero issues hitting small jumps and drops. I have run up to 2.6 tires on these wheels with no issues.

I also have a set of Nobl TR38s running an Assegai 2.5/DHR 2.4 on my Levo SL that are also holding up very well and they are 31mm internal rims. The biggest difference for me with carbon rims, being a heavy rider, is the ability to hold a line better and less flex when cornering.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006109
Mobile Version of Website