2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Author Message
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 6:36 Quote
Hey guys, looking to change the fork on my 21 stumpy to go up to 150mm, just wondering what offsets people are running who have done this? Getting on well with 44mm offset at 140mm and loving the handling, but all the bargains are 51mm offset

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
Increasing fork offset reduces trail. And when you reduce trail, you increase nimbleness. But this decreases stability at speed.

A significant number of new age 29er's are designed around lower offset forks. The slacker head tube angles give you high speed stability and the lower offset fork allow low speed maneuverability.

That being said, i suggest you stick with the stock 44mm offset.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
Simann wrote:
Increasing fork offset reduces trail. And when you reduce trail, you increase nimbleness. But this decreases stability at speed.

A significant number of new age 29er's are designed around lower offset forks. The slacker head tube angles give you high speed stability and the lower offset fork allow low speed maneuverability.

That being said, i suggest you stick with the stock 44mm offset.

Just as I was thinking, but you know sometimes you need to hear the same thought from someone on the Internet thanks dude!

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
Just built up my S3 Stumpy for the 2022 season. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can give it a go.


Details:
Frame: Stumpjumper Carbon S3
Fork: Fox 36 Factory Grip 2 140mm
Wheels: Industry nine Enduro S Wheels with 1/1 hubs
Dropper: Bike Yoke Revive 2.0 160mm travel- Wolf tooth light action lever
Handlebar: OneUp Carbon 20mm rise
Stem: Tenet Nora v2
Grips: Deity knuckleduster
Brakes: SLX 4 Piston 180/203 rotors
Drivetrain: "SRAMANO"- Shimano chainring, chain, and cassette with Sram Shifter and derailleur- Best shifting combo I've tried. I love the feel of the sram shifter and I love that it shifts under load from the HG+ technology of shimano I run this on my Enduro as well and couldn't be happier with performance and feel.
Saddle WTB Volt
Pedals: Anvl Tilt
Tires: Dissector/DHRII

Weight 29.6 lbs with pedals

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 23:22 Quote
Has anyone tried other rear shocks on the Carbon models? I have a 2022 with the dps performance and it has too much bob for my liking in open position. I am riding the bike only in the trail position and wondering if upgrading it to a shock with low speed compression adjustment would make sense. Has anyone tried a DBair IL, TTX1air or any other aftermarket shock?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
I would also like to hear from others that have possibly experimented with an aftermarket rear shock on this bike.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
Well I have a 2019 carbon expert. It has a lot to do with weight, riding conditions etc, but I've said many times how much I love the Factory DPX2 w/the CC link on mine. That has LSC adjustment, and once I increased the air pressure after installing the cascade link that thing is perfect. Guys riding nastier downhill and heavier body weight I think go for the Float X2 (I top-out around 160 and am riding an XL/S5 frame). The DPX2 has a 3-position switch too which I use often, especially when climbing. Riding tame terrain on lighter trail roads for the day, I'll run it in med setting the whole trip. Don't know how much different these DPX2's will effect the ride on the 2022 models. I've ridden the 2021 though too, but prefer the FSR style frames.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20508929/

~JSV

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Has anyone tried other rear shocks on the Carbon models? I have a 2022 with the dps performance and it has too much bob for my liking in open position. I am riding the bike only in the trail position and wondering if upgrading it to a shock with low speed compression adjustment would make sense. Has anyone tried a DBair IL, TTX1air or any other aftermarket shock?

Thanks

someone in one of the other forums had a ttx air on their stumpy and seemed to like it. I found the stumpy pedaled very well after i took one of the negative spacers out of the DPS and tinkered with it that way.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Well I have a 2019 carbon expert. It has a lot to do with weight, riding conditions etc, but I've said many times how much I love the Factory DPX2 w/the CC link on mine. That has LSC adjustment, and once I increased the air pressure after installing the cascade link that thing is perfect. Guys riding nastier downhill and heavier body weight I think go for the Float X2 (I top-out around 160 and am riding an XL/S5 frame). The DPX2 has a 3-position switch too which I use often, especially when climbing. Riding tame terrain on lighter trail roads for the day, I'll run it in med setting the whole trip. Don't know how much different these DPX2's will effect the ride on the 2022 models. I've ridden the 2021 though too, but prefer the FSR style frames.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20508929/

~JSV

Thanks for replying ! The DPX2 Performance Elite and Factory also have the LSC adjustment so it would also be interesting to know how a off the shelf shock works with the flex stays.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Has anyone tried other rear shocks on the Carbon models? I have a 2022 with the dps performance and it has too much bob for my liking in open position. I am riding the bike only in the trail position and wondering if upgrading it to a shock with low speed compression adjustment would make sense. Has anyone tried a DBair IL, TTX1air or any other aftermarket shock?

Thanks

someone in one of the other forums had a ttx air on their stumpy and seemed to like it. I found the stumpy pedaled very well after i took one of the negative spacers out of the DPS and tinkered with it that way.

It sounds reasonable. I might try it with the negative spacers too. Thanks

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Thanks for replying ! The DPX2 Performance Elite and Factory also have the LSC adjustment so it would also be interesting to know how a off the shelf shock works with the flex stays.

I don't think an off the shelf tune works well with the flex stays, there was someone on the mtbr forum who got a ttx1 that was tuned for the prior gen SJ and said it was a big downgrade from the factory dps. He got it tuned to try and match the stock 2021+ tune and then said he liked it, but that the dps still outperformed it so he ultimately swapped back.

There are some sponsored riders who are running dpx2's and float x's but the ones I have asked have all said they are running custom tunes.

I was happy pedaling mine wide open with the factory level dps, but I ran the open mode lsc adjuster in the 2 or 3 position and removed the negative volume band. I think the light digressive compression tune lets you add some lsc for pedaling support without making the shock feel totally over-damped on rougher repeated hits.

If you aren't set on a reservoir shock and don't want to spend money on a tune perhaps look for a performance elite or factory take-off. I've heard the difference between them and the performance level shock is noticeable

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Has anyone tried other rear shocks on the Carbon models? I have a 2022 with the dps performance and it has too much bob for my liking in open position. I am riding the bike only in the trail position and wondering if upgrading it to a shock with low speed compression adjustment would make sense. Has anyone tried a DBair IL, TTX1air or any other aftermarket shock?

Thanks

You might try to slow down your rebound one click or two. I have noticed on mine that from one click to the other the bike bobs or not while pedaling. Adding a little bit air might help as well to have a nice platform in open position. I have the dps performance and after these adjustments I am very happy with the pedaling efficiency and the downhill performance hasn't been impacted. But I've found that for me the right pressure setting is very tight, in a 5-10psi window.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Has anyone tried other rear shocks on the Carbon models? I have a 2022 with the dps performance and it has too much bob for my liking in open position. I am riding the bike only in the trail position and wondering if upgrading it to a shock with low speed compression adjustment would make sense. Has anyone tried a DBair IL, TTX1air or any other aftermarket shock?

Thanks

You might try to slow down your rebound one click or two. I have noticed on mine that from one click to the other the bike bobs or not while pedaling. Adding a little bit air might help as well to have a nice platform in open position. I have the dps performance and after these adjustments I am very happy with the pedaling efficiency and the downhill performance hasn't been impacted. But I've found that for me the right pressure setting is very tight, in a 5-10psi window.

Completely agree. The DPS is sensitive to small pressure changes as its already a small volume shock (compared to what's out there now).

If you have not already, please visit Specialized calculator.

Used these settings as a starting point for both my Epic Evo and my SJ Evo, funny thing, i've not deviated at all from these settings!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/suspension-calculator/app

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
Anyone here upgrade their Stumpy evo with the Cascade link? I know it up's travel from 150-158mm and increases progressivity, but I am curious about peoples experiences.

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Anyone here upgrade their Stumpy evo with the Cascade link? I know it up's travel from 150-158mm and increases progressivity, but I am curious about peoples experiences.

Thanks!

Lots of us. Head over to the EVO thread. It’s a great addition, really cleans up the mid stroke wallow. You do need to run 20-30 psi more but even the initial stroke feels more supple.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006562
Mobile Version of Website