2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Author Message
Posted: Aug 21, 2023 at 2:56 Quote
Hey guys,


It has been quiet here for a while.
A friend has gone experimental and put something interesting together.he has found a new Fox DHX2 with 200x51 mm and decide to give it a go. It will fit with the flip chip in low position + offset bushings. It makes around 145 mm Travel with bb weight 335mm with 27.5 rear wheel.
A 160mm fork with 29 wheel were installer to match and create a more playful stumpjumper Evo.

Cheers

Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2023 at 18:04 Quote
Nice! I’m on an Evo now but love word kooky shit, looks rad!

Posted: Aug 21, 2023 at 23:15 Quote
Fox specifically says not to put their coil shocks on bikes like the Stumpjumper.

Posted: Aug 21, 2023 at 23:57 Quote
seraph wrote:
Fox specifically says not to put their coil shocks on bikes like the Stumpjumper.
Yes, I know, but I think at 65 kg that should be no issue :-)

Posted: Aug 22, 2023 at 14:31 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
seraph wrote:
Fox specifically says not to put their coil shocks on bikes like the Stumpjumper.
Yes, I know, but I think at 65 kg that should be no issue :-)

I really don't take any chances but you do you.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2023 at 13:38 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
seraph wrote:
Fox specifically says not to put their coil shocks on bikes like the Stumpjumper.
Yes, I know, but I think at 65 kg that should be no issue :-)

Don't be so sure that being 65 kg makes it safe or acceptable. There is no stated weight range. Weight has limited affect on why they don't recommend the shocks on strut type setups. Yes a lighter weight person may put less load on the shock but it would be negligible effect as the issue is with the forces on the shaft during the shock in compression and not the weight of a rider. The design is trying to bend the shock so its actually worse in the first part of the travel where the leverage rate against the shaft is higher. The further into the shock body the stanchion goes, the less leverage or bending it can apply to it. Dynamic riding and hitting square edge bumps or using the shock as intended is going to do the damage regardless of how heavy the lump of meat piloting it weighs.

I am 65kg also and have replaced two DHX2 shafts due to excessive wear. Haven't snapped one but that's beside the point.

Judging by the high end parts on the bike, looks like the owner wont have an issue paying for new shock shafts when they inevitably fail and aren't replaced under warranty so have at it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 13:18 Quote
mitch1992 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
seraph wrote:
Fox specifically says not to put their coil shocks on bikes like the Stumpjumper.
Yes, I know, but I think at 65 kg that should be no issue :-)

Don't be so sure that being 65 kg makes it safe or acceptable. There is no stated weight range. Weight has limited affect on why they don't recommend the shocks on strut type setups. Yes a lighter weight person may put less load on the shock but it would be negligible effect as the issue is with the forces on the shaft during the shock in compression and not the weight of a rider. The design is trying to bend the shock so its actually worse in the first part of the travel where the leverage rate against the shaft is higher. The further into the shock body the stanchion goes, the less leverage or bending it can apply to it. Dynamic riding and hitting square edge bumps or using the shock as intended is going to do the damage regardless of how heavy the lump of meat piloting it weighs.

I am 65kg also and have replaced two DHX2 shafts due to excessive wear. Haven't snapped one but that's beside the point.

Judging by the high end parts on the bike, looks like the owner wont have an issue paying for new shock shafts when they inevitably fail and aren't replaced under warranty so have at it.

Hi,
I don’t really get the point with the weight. Someone heavier will need a higher rate spring it means more load to the shock and the rest of the bike.

The main reason behind this build was the conversion to mullet without changing the link.

If anyone is considering changing it to mullet a 200 mm shock would be a good alternative.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 14:27 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
mitch1992 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:

Yes, I know, but I think at 65 kg that should be no issue :-)

Don't be so sure that being 65 kg makes it safe or acceptable. There is no stated weight range. Weight has limited affect on why they don't recommend the shocks on strut type setups. Yes a lighter weight person may put less load on the shock but it would be negligible effect as the issue is with the forces on the shaft during the shock in compression and not the weight of a rider. The design is trying to bend the shock so its actually worse in the first part of the travel where the leverage rate against the shaft is higher. The further into the shock body the stanchion goes, the less leverage or bending it can apply to it. Dynamic riding and hitting square edge bumps or using the shock as intended is going to do the damage regardless of how heavy the lump of meat piloting it weighs.

I am 65kg also and have replaced two DHX2 shafts due to excessive wear. Haven't snapped one but that's beside the point.

Judging by the high end parts on the bike, looks like the owner wont have an issue paying for new shock shafts when they inevitably fail and aren't replaced under warranty so have at it.

Hi,
I don’t really get the point with the weight. Someone heavier will need a higher rate spring it means more load to the shock and the rest of the bike.

The main reason behind this build was the conversion to mullet without changing the link.

If anyone is considering changing it to mullet a 200 mm shock would be a good alternative.

The point is, its not the static weight of the rider that is the issue. It is the issue of the suspension action applying side load forces on the shaft under compression and that happens regardless of whether or not the person weighs 20kg or 100kg. Yes the forces would be greater with a 100kg person vs a 65kg person but they still exist at either weight. Simply implying that the rider is lightweight at 65kg and that the issue is not a problem is not correct. It will work and may last a while but you wont be covered under warranty and there is a risk of shaft failure at any point that you need to be aware about. The other thing to remember is dynamic forces. You could have a 100kg rider that rides fire roads and does not give the shock heavy compressions resulting in high shaft speeds and big forces, conversely you could have a 65kg ripper that really is hard on a shock, big drops or jumps. That latter will wear far quicker than the 100kg rider as the shock is getting high loading due to riding, not static weight.

Posted: Aug 27, 2023 at 20:07 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Hey guys,


It has been quiet here for a while.
A friend has gone experimental and put something interesting together.he has found a new Fox DHX2 with 200x51 mm and decide to give it a go. It will fit with the flip chip in low position + offset bushings. It makes around 145 mm Travel with bb weight 335mm with 27.5 rear wheel.
A 160mm fork with 29 wheel were installer to match and create a more playful stumpjumper Evo.

Cheers

Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Dope! How does it ride? Still very playful? Details pleaseSmile

Posted: Aug 27, 2023 at 23:20 Quote
SLKING9000 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Hey guys,


It has been quiet here for a while.
A friend has gone experimental and put something interesting together.he has found a new Fox DHX2 with 200x51 mm and decide to give it a go. It will fit with the flip chip in low position + offset bushings. It makes around 145 mm Travel with bb weight 335mm with 27.5 rear wheel.
A 160mm fork with 29 wheel were installer to match and create a more playful stumpjumper Evo.

Cheers

Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Dope! How does it ride? Still very playful? Details pleaseSmile

Just took the bike to a trip and installed a 29er rear wheel. The other Hub was too loud and I didn’t want to bother others . The bb got to 345 mm which is still in normal Range. It is still super playful, the rear wheel just love to be thrown around and the bike is still poppy. This is a bit of a surprise to me as a fairly low rate 450 lbs spring is installed. No bottom outs so far.
To be honest nothing negative so far besides the safety concerns regarding durability of the coil shock on the stumpjumper. But time will tell…
The bike is riding like a dream. Even better than with the new RS Super Deluxe with HBO.


Cheers

Posted: Aug 28, 2023 at 7:58 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
SLKING9000 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Hey guys,


It has been quiet here for a while.
A friend has gone experimental and put something interesting together.he has found a new Fox DHX2 with 200x51 mm and decide to give it a go. It will fit with the flip chip in low position + offset bushings. It makes around 145 mm Travel with bb weight 335mm with 27.5 rear wheel.
A 160mm fork with 29 wheel were installer to match and create a more playful stumpjumper Evo.

Cheers

Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Stumpjumper 22 Mullet
Dope! How does it ride? Still very playful? Details pleaseSmile

Just took the bike to a trip and installed a 29er rear wheel. The other Hub was too loud and I didn’t want to bother others . The bb got to 345 mm which is still in normal Range. It is still super playful, the rear wheel just love to be thrown around and the bike is still poppy. This is a bit of a surprise to me as a fairly low rate 450 lbs spring is installed. No bottom outs so far.
To be honest nothing negative so far besides the safety concerns regarding durability of the coil shock on the stumpjumper. But time will tell…
The bike is riding like a dream. Even better than with the new RS Super Deluxe with HBO.


Cheers

Really good to know.Does the 29er wheel rub at full bottom out with the 200×10 shock? I'm curious to try something similar but using an air shock out back. Thanks for the info .

Posted: Aug 28, 2023 at 8:16 Quote
SLKING9000 wrote:
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
SLKING9000 wrote:

Dope! How does it ride? Still very playful? Details pleaseSmile

Just took the bike to a trip and installed a 29er rear wheel. The other Hub was too loud and I didn’t want to bother others . The bb got to 345 mm which is still in normal Range. It is still super playful, the rear wheel just love to be thrown around and the bike is still poppy. This is a bit of a surprise to me as a fairly low rate 450 lbs spring is installed. No bottom outs so far.
To be honest nothing negative so far besides the safety concerns regarding durability of the coil shock on the stumpjumper. But time will tell…
The bike is riding like a dream. Even better than with the new RS Super Deluxe with HBO.


Cheers

Really good to know.Does the 29er wheel rub at full bottom out with the 200×10 shock? I'm curious to try something similar but using an air shock out back. Thanks for the info .

The rear well clearance feels identical with the 200x51. That might be an issue if you try a shock with 190x51 mm

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 13:39 Quote
Hey all! I have the '21 stumpy carbon and am wondering a few things. First: the cascade link for the stumpjumper is listed only for the alloy version, could it work with the carbon (without messing up the flex stay stuff.) Secondly, do the stumpy carbon and stumpy alloy share the same front triangle? I am asking that because I am thinking of getting the alloy rear triangle and use the cascade link on the carbon frame. Frankin bike? Yes. Sick? DUH

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 22:51 Quote
ShredDoggg wrote:
Hey all! I have the '21 stumpy carbon and am wondering a few things. First: the cascade link for the stumpjumper is listed only for the alloy version, could it work with the carbon (without messing up the flex stay stuff.) Secondly, do the stumpy carbon and stumpy alloy share the same front triangle? I am asking that because I am thinking of getting the alloy rear triangle and use the cascade link on the carbon frame. Frankin bike? Yes. Sick? DUH

I asked Cascade about this, and they didn't recommend running it with the Flex Stay.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2023 at 9:13 Quote
Has anyone put on a Float (just Float, not DPS or X/X2) on theirs?

Tempted between the SJ, Trail 429 and Smuggler; I know mtbyumyum has done some comparos with the SJ and T429, anyone have anything to add to that? I imagine if you nailed the suspension on the SJ it would make it a bit calmer on the down/chunk. I'm looking at a move from the SW to western MT and my HT3 will be a bit too much bike for what I'll be riding there.


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014775
Mobile Version of Website