Went to reserve a META TR 29 2021 in Australia, asked to pay 100% upfront?!!

PB Forum :: Commencal
Went to reserve a META TR 29 2021 in Australia, asked to pay 100% upfront?!!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 3:23 Quote
So as the title mentions, I rang up the Australian Commencal agent to put my name down for the new META TR 29 2021. They still don't have an arrival date but the Australian website indicates its sometime in November 2020. So minimum 3 months away. I was told I would need to pay 100% now!

Seriously, hand a company 5k for a bike that is probably not even made yet. Not only that if the local distributor (COMMENCAL Australia) went bust before I received the bike I would kiss my 5k away. I was blown away.

Anyone else had the same experience? It was definitely disappointing.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
IMeasureStuff wrote:
So as the title mentions, I rang up the Australian Commencal agent to put my name down for the new META TR 29 2021. They still don't have an arrival date but the Australian website indicates its sometime in November 2020. So minimum 3 months away. I was told I would need to pay 100% now!

Seriously, hand a company 5k for a bike that is probably not even made yet. Not only that if the local distributor (COMMENCAL Australia) went bust before I received the bike I would kiss my 5k away. I was blown away.

Anyone else had the same experience? It was definitely disappointing.

I'm unsure about your country, but paying with CC is generally very safe, that plus paypal for extra security.

Just wait a few months, in my country the website says most bikes drop October - December for 2021.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Yeah ... That's about right? I did the same. I ordered mine the day it was announced with full payment, it arrived today.

I'm pretty sure if you cancelled your get your money back though, they have enough people trying to buy them.

If you want to put down a deposit then you're probably better off going for a brick and mortar brand.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
Not with Commencal but I've had the same thing with Canyon and YT.
It's not really surprising that a direct-to-consumer would want full payment upfront as they won't want to hold the stock here if you change your mind, and I'm assuming Commencal doesn't mention deposits anywhere on their website.

As Mitch says, if you are looking to place a deposit on something you'll probably need to go local, although with the shortage of bikes right now even they might be taking payment upfront

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 19:07 Quote
Thanks for the input guys.

I guess when items are in short or limited supply they can ask for whatever they want.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 23:55 Quote
Wow that's appalling. Was seriously considering a Meta AM, but if they're going to ask for payment in full up front I won't bother out of principle

Posted: Aug 8, 2020 at 2:39 Quote
theolderigetthefasteriwas wrote:
Wow that's appalling. Was seriously considering a Meta AM, but if they're going to ask for payment in full up front I won't bother out of principle

Yeah it's bananas.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 20:16 Quote
I ordered a Meta HT AM Essential on Aug 2 with a delivery date of November. Paid in full + shipping and received a confirmation email. The wait won't be fun but I knew it'd be 3 months going in. I just didn't want to miss out and have to wait until Jan or even later.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005084
Mobile Version of Website