Identifying good vintage bikes

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Identifying good vintage bikes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
Hi everyone I need help identifying some good brands and models of vintage bikes to keep an eye out for. I always see people post Puegeot restorations so I am guessing they were good. But we're they all high quality? I'd like to know what else is worth searching for. I am looking for some steel maybe titanium tubular frames that would have a more classic look to them and be fun to restore and casually ride around on. I'd love to hear your input.
usps tracking showbox speed test

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
taimurhilas8 wrote:
Hi everyone I need help identifying some good brands and models of vintage bikes to keep an eye out for. I always see people post Puegeot restorations so I am guessing they were good. But we're they all high quality? I'd like to know what else is worth searching for. I am looking for some steel maybe titanium tubular frames that would have a more classic look to them and be fun to restore and casually ride around on. I'd love to hear your input.

stick to Italian or US framemakers. French brands have “french threading” and will be more difficult to find used parts. everybody knows what stuff is worth so your chances of a “barn find” are low.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 2:51 Quote
taimurhilas8 wrote:

Don't assume for a second, that anything old is 'magically' worth a shitload of money. NOR are any of them particularly good. Tooling is tooling. Threadform is f*ck all on a big ship - for anyone worth their salt.

Old junk is an investment of time, money, resources, and otherwise - which very few have the patience for. It's a labor of love and dedication - not something that can be 'told', but simply a review of things that have significant meaning to oneself.....

Thing I love to see most is a post of true fanaticism......If you love a model of Peugot, find one. Restore the frame. Build it how you THINK it should have been done, or how it was originally done, and then tell us a story. It's that simple. Passion for cool old bits isn't in OUR eyes, it's in YOURS.

Took me 10+ years to find the right fork for my build......and it was a giant pile of shit when I got it......Pull out the bucks, and make it go......

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
Hi folks. New to this forum.

I have this from grampa. I rode it quite a bit but the rear wheel is wobbly beyond my repairskills. (Spoke key fixes some but its not plumb.)

Anyways i want to know what it may be worth. See pics.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1NzBSMoq0tOouIP8JlWu7WGTeKV5sQRou

I put it for quick sale on kijiji once but got tons of requests...but cannot find any info on the bike.

I know its a uniglide cassette back there and the pedals are quite nice.
Let me know ! Chris.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
Every mass market brand had great stuff and crap stuff. A good way to tell is the quality of the tubing used and the quality of the components mounted on it. The really valuable stuff tends to be the boutique, small batch hand made stuff. If its Italian with top end Campy on it then its more coveted. Of course condition of the frame and components will play a big part in value. Generally north american or asian bikes will not be valued as highly as european bikes. Also, some european bikes are valued more than others - such as italian ones. Of course people from Asia and north america will value their local high quality bikes more, so if you find the right buyer and have the right bike you might do well.

Unless you know what you are doing and have a lot of time to go to garage sales, etc. its not a great way to invest your money and time.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010461
Mobile Version of Website