HyperGlide+ Issues?

PB Forum :: Shimano
HyperGlide+ Issues?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
Having some issues with how Shimano's HG+ is performing.

Mostly been riding on X01 Eagle for the last while, and with all the hype about HG+, I decided to take the leap, so I bought a bike with a brand new XT M8100 drivetrain. Literally brand new. Owner said it was built up and hadn't even seen a trail.

While testing it out, I decided to try shifting on a hill since all the reviews are raving about how HG+ works so well under load. Did not turn out that way, and was immediately met with the nasty sound of a bad shift. Tried some of the other gears and same result. Should note that I wasn't putting down 100% power, probably around 50%.

Asked the owner about this and they said it probably needed a break in period, claiming that the factory grease was interfering with the shifting and it just needed time to be cycled out. Wasn't too sure about that but bought the bike anyways because the rest of the bike was in fantastic condition.

Been about a week now, haven't put any miles on it because still riding the old bike.

So, my question is: Is there even such a thing as a break in period? I know it's not a parts problem because I checked over every single part, it was all M8100. Chain is also facing in the correct orientation (logo outwards).

I know the cable will stretch over time, but I assumed that the chain and cassette interface would work right away. Really scratching my head here because expectations from reviews are very much not matching up with reality right now.

Any advice would help a lot.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
I dont have much experience with hg+ but even though it makes weird noises if it shifts well it's probably doing what it's supposed to.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 0:54 Quote
I've no experience with HG+ and maybe new chains and cogs settle in very small amount from new, if set up correctly shifting should be good straight out of the box.

Even though marketing says they shift well under load I personally still wouldn't be shifting while cranking.

Maybe I am used to easing off during a shift but either way it is more mechanically sympathetic not to shift under load. 2 cents

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
shimano hg + works amazing !. personaly for a mix of buget and performance i would recomend the fallowing sequence.

slx derailuer
xt shifter(for the double shift)
xtr cassete
xtr chain
xt/slx crank
garburuk chainring

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Asqet wrote:
Having some issues with how Shimano's HG+ is performing.

Mostly been riding on X01 Eagle for the last while, and with all the hype about HG+, I decided to take the leap, so I bought a bike with a brand new XT M8100 drivetrain. Literally brand new. Owner said it was built up and hadn't even seen a trail.

While testing it out, I decided to try shifting on a hill since all the reviews are raving about how HG+ works so well under load. Did not turn out that way, and was immediately met with the nasty sound of a bad shift. Tried some of the other gears and same result. Should note that I wasn't putting down 100% power, probably around 50%.

Asked the owner about this and they said it probably needed a break in period, claiming that the factory grease was interfering with the shifting and it just needed time to be cycled out. Wasn't too sure about that but bought the bike anyways because the rest of the bike was in fantastic condition.

Been about a week now, haven't put any miles on it because still riding the old bike.

So, my question is: Is there even such a thing as a break in period? I know it's not a parts problem because I checked over every single part, it was all M8100. Chain is also facing in the correct orientation (logo outwards).

I know the cable will stretch over time, but I assumed that the chain and cassette interface would work right away. Really scratching my head here because expectations from reviews are very much not matching up with reality right now.

Any advice would help a lot.

Shifting under load doesn't entail itll shift when ur mashing out max watts. but it will shift significantly better than sram imo. the lever feel is different compared to sram. make sure you're making crisp movements on the lever.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005365
Mobile Version of Website