Currently on a 224. Looking for some thing different! what do you recomend???

PB Forum :: Downhill
Currently on a 224. Looking for some thing different! what do you recomend???
FL
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 at 13:50 Quote
davidmountaincycles wrote:
R U GOING to be racing at frot william because i went ther just before the world champs and it was so rough on the rock sections but i didnt have my downhill bike so i had to rent 1 , a crapy big hit.if you are you really want a good frame with plush rear or u will get killed
dude, please take 10 seconds before pressing the submit button to ask yourself two things.
1) Is what I'm posting really gonna help, am I stating the obvious and repeating what others have already said or am I posting a random anecdote without much meaning or am I posting some well though opinion on a quesiton and bringing in some interesting and pertinent insight?
2) Was what I wrote wrote readable or was it both incoherent and FULL of gramatical non-sense aswell as being an insult to your former english teachers? Beside, english may not be your first langauge but it's not mine either so it's no excuse.

To get back on the question, I don't know about the two bikes you seem to have narrowed your choice down to but I know one thing about the sunday wich you seemed to have interest in. The opinions on this bike seem very varied, while some people describe it as a very playful/maniable bike, others seem to describe it as a real glue, a bike that's stuck to the ground and won't bulge whatever you may throw at it. All of them seem to agree on it's ability to corner though. Some may complain about the possibility to hit stuff with such a low BB and this may be a problem since what I saw of fort william is pretty rocky but lots of people use them a my local hill and trust me, it's rock garden party over here and nobody complains.

Just for the fact that the opinions vary so much, I'd really recommend getting your legs over one to get the feeling, I haven't had the chance yet to try it and decide on wich side I am but I think you shouldn't rule it out already.

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 at 15:45 Quote
yeah very true i just today slung my leg over one and OMG! its very different, i dont think ill rule it out at all.
One reason im a bit scared of is breaking the Avent Vandal. Plus not being able to get parts for it, as ive been told there customer service is utter crap! Almost like taking a wild stab in the dark on a wide open field. One other thing the Iron Horse Sunday has a main dealer an hour away from me so getting one, and parts under warranty will be easy. So there wouldn’t be a problem there. So im not going to sling it off the list just yet after the information that got shot at me in the bike shop.

Solid Mission 9 is still there too,

And yes the Big Hits they hire there are pish!, As ill say again iron horse won Elite Men and Women at Fort Bill this year. So certainly will be a good bike to use there as im there most of the summer!

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 13:30 Quote
gibsonja wrote:
yeah very true i just today slung my leg over one and OMG! its very different, i dont think ill rule it out at all.
One reason im a bit scared of is breaking the Avent Vandal. Plus not being able to get parts for it, as ive been told there customer service is utter crap! Almost like taking a wild stab in the dark on a wide open field. One other thing the Iron Horse Sunday has a main dealer an hour away from me so getting one, and parts under warranty will be easy. So there wouldn’t be a problem there. So im not going to sling it off the list just yet after the information that got shot at me in the bike shop.

Solid Mission 9 is still there too,

And yes the Big Hits they hire there are pish!, As ill say again iron horse won Elite Men and Women at Fort Bill this year. So certainly will be a good bike to use there as im there most of the summer!

solid mission 9 is a cool bike

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 17:45 Quote
just some more to think about:

Scott gambler
transiton's new one
cove shocker

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 19:47 Quote
Here's a second vote for a cove shocker. It will out pedal a VP-free, (IMHO) and is super dialed for full out DHing. I tried to freeride it out on mount seymour in vancouver, but the bike just doesn't seem to want to exist at anything less than mach-1. BB height seems to be bang on as well. Here's a pic of mine.
photo

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 3:05 Quote
bigquotesHere's a second vote for a cove shocker. It will out pedal a VP-free, (IMHO) and is super dialed for full out DHing. I tried to freeride it out on mount seymour in vancouver, but the bike just doesn't seem to want to exist at anything less than mach-1. BB height seems to be bang on as well. Here's a pic of mine.

What other dh bikes you rode?

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 7:56 Quote
Actually, not a whole lot. Besides my Shocker, a norco team DH, VP free, the odd stinky, if you even wanna call it a dh bike, the old GT DHi, the new GT DHi( Freakin FAST, no 2 ways around that), A Super 8, and besides that, just parking lot kinda dealys.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 12:03 Quote
would the shocker be the best one out of the lot would you say???

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:21 Quote
I think the DHi is a much more versatile bike, but from what you've described to me the shocker would be the way to go. The biggest differences between the two would be BB height ( higher on DHi), and weight. Expect to add about 2.5-3 lbs for the Shocker. Also if your looking for frame only, the Shocker is the better way to go because to the extent of my knowledge you can't get the DHi in frame only in Canada nevermind in Europe. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 19:29 Quote
SWD, They make great bikes for a VERY reasonable price. I deffinetly suggest the 216DH, since it works very similarly to Orange 224. These bikes are bomb proof, smooth as hell and waarrentied for life

Check them out

http://www.swdracing.com/216DH.html

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 19:30 Quote
Oh Yeah! they're made out of stealBig Grin

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 2:36 Quote
Hi guys.

I run the company that imports the Solids into the UK, and its nice to know its one of the bikes you are considering.

The brand is gaining a growing reputation over here in the UK, and its been fueled buy riders and not by some flash advertising campaign.

Our race team are doing really well on the bikes and all reckon they are faster than the Glory's, V10s, Sundays and 303s they rode last season. So are sticking with us next year. Word of mouth has been our greatest friend this season, and pretty much everyone who'd tried one has bought one.

If you're looking to buy next season you'll be in time for the new frame which should be with us Xmas time. We're pretty excited about it because its got all the good things from 07, but with some nice improvements, like the lighter weight and the universal ISCG mounts.

price will be the same £1500 or under depending on shock choice, and we will be offering a wider variety of shocks in 08.

The new frame is actually interchangable with the old one. So if any (not that its happened yet) cracks one, we can give them an 08 front end to run on their 07 back end, or an 08 back end to run on an 07 front end. Which makes things nice and easy for everyone.

Here's a couple of pics of the new frame to wet your appetite.

photo

photo

We are always keen to ride our bikes and both Wayne and myself who run the company race Dh pretty much every weekend of the season. So if you want a test ride (and a proper one, not just a ride round a car park). We can arrange it. We'll even meet you at Inners for an uplift if you fancy it!

photo

Let me know and I'm sure we can sort something out for you.

Cheers
Col.

Colin Williams
FLi Distribution
01457 763 213

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 3:34 Quote
Wow that new frame looks great, and thanks for the information.

Big Grin

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 7:52 Quote
now thats pretty damn good company backing....any importers in Canada as of yet? and just 1-2 models or is there a whole line up?

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:00 Quote
jonlake wrote:
now thats pretty damn good company backing....any importers in Canada as of yet? and just 1-2 models or is there a whole line up?

I know Solid are looking at a US company at the moment, so I'm guessing Canada can't be too far behind.

and, there is a full range.

Nurse - steel DJ hardtail
Harlem - alu 4x hardtail,
Acer - alu xc hardtail,
Pine - 90mm xc full sus,
Flair - singlespeed short travel slopestyle frame - my personal favourite Smile

photo

Blade - new all mountain xc frame
Liberator - Free ride bike
Mission 9 - Dh race bike
Speed - gearbox bike - thats actually available to buy!

full details are at:

http://www.solidbikes.de/eng/index.html

we're only just going through the English version for them, so there are still some funny translations on there.

If you've got any questions about the frames, fire me an email and I'll see if I can get them answered for you.

Cheers
Col.

fli_distribution@tiscali.co.uk

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017340
Mobile Version of Website