Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
O+
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 17:43 Quote
astorms wrote:
I have sourced a 2021 Trance X Advance Pro 29 2 in my local area, and it should be here by june. I am not new to Giant, as I have owned a few in the past.

I realize this group may be bias, but what's your take on this bike? I live in the canadian rockies and the X seems to be well equipped to handle all my local trails. Up and down it should shred like mad. Bang for buck, it seems that it can't be beat.

Anyone here have real-world experience on the 2 or 1 for that matter? Components are different but both are brainless and should be comparable.

Thanks for the comments.
I have ridden the X Pro 2 for a couple weeks now. One thing that amazes me every ride is how quiet this bike is. Giant never went with the obnoxious buzz saw I9 type of hubs, but the subtle noise of this hub really sticks out to me because the rest of the ride is so quiet.

The bike does like to go fast. It plows up chunk. The rear shock bounces a bit more than the 27.5 when descending. I am still figuring out the best setting. The longer wheelbase has me making adjustments to get the front end up, off of jumps. It does like to launch.

It is harder to do trials type skills in slow technical sections, relative to the 27.5, but this bike shines on it's ability to plow through that stuff, not pick it's way through.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 18:21 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
I would say my experience with my trance X would tell me exactly the same as levy...
The noise was the Shitty SX RD.

i have an avd 1 trance x and its just like the reign, gets overwhelmed quickly and just isnt "modern" compared to other bikes. i had a factory 36 and even swapped in my pike and many other things but its just the geo is behind

Good for any lower speed stuff, but when its gets fast its just not modern enough to keep up other with other bikes.

It's currently for sale.
What about it is not modern enough?

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
I would say my experience with my trance X would tell me exactly the same as levy...

i have an avd 1 trance x and its just like the reign, gets overwhelmed quickly and just isnt "modern" compared to other bikes. i had a factory 36 and even swapped in my pike and many other things but its just the geo is behind

Good for any lower speed stuff, but when its gets fast its just not modern enough to keep up other with other bikes.

It's currently for sale.

Yeah that's an interesting take about the Geo considering #1, you can read a Geo chart before you buy so if it isn't 'modern' why even buy it and #2 It's actually pretty modern all things considered. It's got the same head angle as every other bike in the field test and very similar if not the same to lots of bikes in the same segment (Vitus escape, RM Instinct, Stumpjumper) + reach and wheelbase numbers.

In any case, here are my thoughts after having the bike for a bit. First, the bike absolutely has an active rear end. It does not have the same stoutness when pedaling that you'll find with a DW-link Ibis. This is noticeable on asphalt/road climbs and smooth fire roads. However, as soon as you get the bike on any surface that's not completely smooth/even it's hardly noticeable and not as much a concern as I thought when I first got the bike. I previously rode a hardtail and was very concerned that I didn't get the Orbea Occam instead (which is supposed to be one of the best pedaling bikes out there). But I just put together a 31 mile 4400 ft elevation ride last weekend with 95% single track climbing and had no issues leaving the shock fully open. It does have the compression switch so if you need to use it's there, I have used it in the situations described above. This also means that technical climbing is phenomenal because of the traction. I find it also allows me to stand up and pedal hard through rocky/rooty sections without losing any momentum and it feels like I just hover over everything.

As for descending, you're definitely not going to find the limits of the bike. It's a relatively long wheelbase, with a medium chainstay length. It's pretty stable. Rae Morrison raced the shorter travel Liv version of the bike at an EWS event last year so I'm confident that it can handle a lot. And I agree that the bike really comes alive best at speed. It can feel a bit dull at slower speeds but when hauling you really get a good return on your energy. Still dialing a few things but those are my thoughts so far.

As for the noise, I honestly have no thoughts because my old hardtail sounded like a shopping cart so anything that's quieter is gonna sound silent to me lol.

O+
Posted: May 8, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:

It's currently for sale.

Which part of the geo do you feel should be worked on most? What would you buy to replace it?

My current FS has a 66deg HTA and shorter wheelbase. My hardtail has a 64.5deg HTA and loger wheelbase. I feel like the 65.5deg HTA and other geo measurements make it perfect middleground.

O+
Posted: May 8, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
pumpjumpnflow wrote:
Eviljarv wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

It's currently for sale.

Yeah that's an interesting take about the Geo considering #1, you can read a Geo chart before you buy so if it isn't 'modern' why even buy it and #2 It's actually pretty modern all things considered. It's got the same head angle as every other bike in the field test and very similar if not the same to lots of bikes in the same segment (Vitus escape, RM Instinct, Stumpjumper) + reach and wheelbase numbers.

In any case, here are my thoughts after having the bike for a bit. First, the bike absolutely has an active rear end. It does not have the same stoutness when pedaling that you'll find with a DW-link Ibis. This is noticeable on asphalt/road climbs and smooth fire roads. However, as soon as you get the bike on any surface that's not completely smooth/even it's hardly noticeable and not as much a concern as I thought when I first got the bike. I previously rode a hardtail and was very concerned that I didn't get the Orbea Occam instead (which is supposed to be one of the best pedaling bikes out there). But I just put together a 31 mile 4400 ft elevation ride last weekend with 95% single track climbing and had no issues leaving the shock fully open. It does have the compression switch so if you need to use it's there, I have used it in the situations described above. This also means that technical climbing is phenomenal because of the traction. I find it also allows me to stand up and pedal hard through rocky/rooty sections without losing any momentum and it feels like I just hover over everything.

As for descending, you're definitely not going to find the limits of the bike. It's a relatively long wheelbase, with a medium chainstay length. It's pretty stable. Rae Morrison raced the shorter travel Liv version of the bike at an EWS event last year so I'm confident that it can handle a lot. And I agree that the bike really comes alive best at speed. It can feel a bit dull at slower speeds but when hauling you really get a good return on your energy. Still dialing a few things but those are my thoughts so far.

As for the noise, I honestly have no thoughts because my old hardtail sounded like a shopping cart so anything that's quieter is gonna sound silent to me lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't need a bike to feel lively pedalling up or across. I want a bike that will pedal smoothly up, and give me great traction when the torque gets spicy when really powering down in roots and rocks. I want a bike that will feel strong and sturdy on the downs and that will increase my speed and confidence .

At $5500 canadian, I haven't found a comparable bike.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
It all comes down to how its used.
I would not call the trance X good at pedaling.
I'd call it fair for burly rock gardens and mild-aggressive singletrack slope.

But, what my trance adv pro 0 does against my reign 2 in all aspects, i say the spec of the equipment will make up for a lot more than a mild geometry change.

Rider skill is far more valuable than 30mm in travel.

If you have All mountain trails. Trance X is viable.
If your in souther ontario, that travel is a bragging right and a misnomer leading you to think that more is better!!

Just another opinion worth less than a penny.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
Snoozer98k wrote:
It all comes down to how its used.
I would not call the trance X good at pedaling.
I'd call it fair for burly rock gardens and mild-aggressive singletrack slope.

But, what my trance adv pro 0 does against my reign 2 in all aspects, i say the spec of the equipment will make up for a lot more than a mild geometry change.

Rider skill is far more valuable than 30mm in travel.

If you have All mountain trails. Trance X is viable.
If your in souther ontario, that travel is a bragging right and a misnomer leading you to think that more is better!!

Just another opinion worth less than a penny.

Thanks for that.

I have been looking at the reign too. But the trance x advance pro seems like such a good all arounder.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
The Trance 29 is a capable/aggressive xc worthy bike. The Reign 29 is a dh/enduro rocket and gnar sled, but it is a slug uphill.
The Trance X is not an enduro bike, but it floats over gnar better than the 27.5. Wheel and tire weight are the biggest factors in climbing. The X has more rotational mass in both areas. But it rolls up technical climbs with massive traction. I was simply more dynamic on the 27.5, but I had to be. The 29X demands much less skill to climb technical sections.

I finally have the suspension dialed. 175 lbs, I have 25% rear sag with 2 clicks slower than mid rebound. Fork is 85 lbs with -16 rebound. I am running a few lbs higher and 1 click of rebound faster than factory recommended. The rear end now tracks well. It is so well tuned that I now notice the low anti-rise #'s. I have never really noticed this with the Maestro link. The anti-squat may be lower too. I am a big fan of the Maestro, and this is the first time the low anti-rise performance was really noticeable. I really need to sit on the back wheel on BIG rock, square hit, descents. Otherwise, it is so much faster than the 27.5 on straight descents.

Overall, this bike is effortlessly faster on the fun stuff than the 27.5. Like always, the 27.5 rewards rider input/trials skills. The Trance 29 is an uphill goat and a confidence inspiring descender. The X rolls up technical climbs, gets you up long slogs, and bombs dh just shy of an enduro bike from a couple years ago.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 21:32 Quote
nmuskier wrote:
The Trance 29 is a capable/aggressive xc worthy bike. The Reign 29 is a dh/enduro rocket and gnar sled, but it is a slug uphill.
The Trance X is not an enduro bike, but it floats over gnar better than the 27.5. Wheel and tire weight are the biggest factors in climbing. The X has more rotational mass in both areas. But it rolls up technical climbs with massive traction. I was simply more dynamic on the 27.5, but I had to be. The 29X demands much less skill to climb technical sections.

I finally have the suspension dialed. 175 lbs, I have 25% rear sag with 2 clicks slower than mid rebound. Fork is 85 lbs with -16 rebound. I am running a few lbs higher and 1 click of rebound faster than factory recommended. The rear end now tracks well. It is so well tuned that I now notice the low anti-rise #'s. I have never really noticed this with the Maestro link. The anti-squat may be lower too. I am a big fan of the Maestro, and this is the first time the low anti-rise performance was really noticeable. I really need to sit on the back wheel on BIG rock, square hit, descents. Otherwise, it is so much faster than the 27.5 on straight descents.

Overall, this bike is effortlessly faster on the fun stuff than the 27.5. Like always, the 27.5 rewards rider input/trials skills. The Trance 29 is an uphill goat and a confidence inspiring descender. The X rolls up technical climbs, gets you up long slogs, and bombs dh just shy of an enduro bike from a couple years ago.

You lost me at “slug uphill” in my experience the Reign is faster uphill than the Trance SX it replaced. I’m just kidding you didn’t really lose me, I agree with most everything else you said, but the Reign29 climbs just fine.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 2:15 Quote
is it possible to install offsetbushing on Trance X1?

i asked offsetbushings.com but the answer is no.

"I’m afraid your bike doesn’t use any standard shock bushings so they aren’t compatible. Sorry for the bad news!"

why is not possible? i think the lower shock eye bushing is standard.

thanks for help...

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
MiLi wrote:
is it possible to install offsetbushing on Trance X1?

i asked offsetbushings.com but the answer is no.

"I’m afraid your bike doesn’t use any standard shock bushings so they aren’t compatible. Sorry for the bad news!"

why is not possible? i think the lower shock eye bushing is standard.

thanks for help...

There is no lower shock bushings on Trance, Trance X or Reign, top is trunnion and lower setup shares the bolt with the pivot hardware

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
astorms wrote:
I have sourced a 2021 Trance X Advance Pro 29 2 in my local area, and it should be here by june. I am not new to Giant, as I have owned a few in the past.

I realize this group may be bias, but what's your take on this bike? I live in the canadian rockies and the X seems to be well equipped to handle all my local trails. Up and down it should shred like mad. Bang for buck, it seems that it can't be beat.

Anyone here have real-world experience on the 2 or 1 for that matter? Components are different but both are brainless and should be comparable.

Thanks for the comments.

I live in Banff at the moment and my Large Trance X 29 2 is arriving in the country this week, all my gear has been arriving so its got me pretty excited. When I spoke with the LBS in Canmore they recommended 120/130mm for local trails before I mentioned the bike I was interested in getting so it is definitely more than capable.
This will be my first full squish bike and i am so keen to see more of the National Parks on this thing Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
photo

Well, it's here! 2nd real ride on it, and this bike is amazing. The geometry is taking a bit of getting used to, but this thing is smooth and fast. It's a wayyyy better bike than i am rider, but that means i can really grow into it.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 6:40 Quote
astorms wrote:
photo

Well, it's here! 2nd real ride on it, and this bike is amazing. The geometry is taking a bit of getting used to, but this thing is smooth and fast. It's a wayyyy better bike than i am rider, but that means i can really grow into it.

Man what a beautiful backdrop for your trails... makes me jealous! We don't get that kind of scenery in the southeast US Drool

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
The Trance X excels at this type of ascending.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015187
Mobile Version of Website