Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
I just picked up a trance x2 after being on specialized for a while. My shop finally picked up giant during the pandemic, so I sold my stumpy evo for the trance x (also building up a glory to handle the bulk of my bike park duties). I’ve already got my spank wheels on there, so the last thing I need to upgrade immediately is the rear shock. (Fork will happen eventually).

I’ma huge cane creek fan, and initially planned a double barrel coil kitsuma shock and a helm fork, but huge surprise they’re on back order for God knows how long, so I was looking for alternatives. Not a big fox fan so looking at anything else.

I’m an old school free rider gone dirt jump with a healthy side addiction to trail riding. I ride dumb, but smooth. I plan a park day or two, but as I said will have a glory too, so it will be rare. I rode mostly flow jumps and smaller tech drops. I love being underbiked so I think the trance and I will get along just fine.

My question is this: available now I can get a super deluxe air shock, but it’s a hair more than I want to spend. I can get a super deluxe ultimate coil for a great deal, and can get either a cane creek progressive spring or a springdex spring and still come out cheaper than the air version. Based on what y’all have said about the coil shocks you’ve had on the trance x, I don’t see why I shouldn’t try to deluxe coil, but I just wanted to see if anyone had feedback. What do y’all think?

I’ll try to get some pics up soon. I’m waiting on my ‘final’ pictures until I get the shock sorted, but I can post some late night in the shop because I finally swapped my wheels photos if there’s interest.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
Hava a trance x and replaced stock shock with super deluxe ultimate air. Works great, much better ride than stock dps. I find I need to put a little more air than you think you should need to get the sag around 30 % so it stays up in the travel. Less pressure and it sits a bit deep and feels too choppy and stiff. If you are around 200 lbs I think most stock coils may be less effective than an air shock. A tuned coil may a whole other story.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
I’m 160lbs on a good day, and im a dumbass who rides bikes past their limit, but I’m pretty calculated. I don’t let my trail bikes especially take any impacts that could be too harsh. I’ll do some decent jumps, but only if I know they’re smooth enough.

Custom tuned got me thinking though, I sent a shock in to Craig at Avalanche over 10 years ago, for my 2002 intense M1 that had a ‘Progressive 5th Element’ coil on it and it was awesome. Hearing about the avalanche marzocchi sent me back to their page, he does tune deluxe coil shocks. I thought it was said that Craig uses progressive bottom out bumpers, so that paired with a Springdex spring should be more than enough I would think? I’d have him do a freeride tune on it too.

I like my suspension to match, so if I go that route I’ll likely get a Yari in a few months and have the avalanche damper installed. I think that would make a pretty slick little rig.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
Also here she is as of now. I can’t get a micro spline driver for my hope hubs very easily so there’s old 11sp on there now. Will be changing that soon. Also gonna put the stock maxxis tires back on, but my blue wheels were on my husbands stumpjumper and I didn’t feel like messing with the tubeless the day I swapped them.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
I’m 160lbs on a good day, and im a dumbass who rides bikes past their limit, but I’m pretty calculated. I don’t let my trail bikes especially take any impacts that could be too harsh. I’ll do some decent jumps, but only if I know they’re smooth enough.

Custom tuned got me thinking though, I sent a shock in to Craig at Avalanche over 10 years ago, for my 2002 intense M1 that had a ‘Progressive 5th Element’ coil on it and it was awesome. Hearing about the avalanche marzocchi sent me back to their page, he does tune deluxe coil shocks. I thought it was said that Craig uses progressive bottom out bumpers, so that paired with a Springdex spring should be more than enough I would think? I’d have him do a freeride tune on it too.

I like my suspension to match, so if I go that route I’ll likely get a Yari in a few months and have the avalanche damper installed. I think that would make a pretty slick little rig.

Craig really likes the Bomber CR when it comes to tuning it and it's a pretty cheap shock so that's what I would do if you really want a coil, that's what I'm running on the Trance X and my Enduro S-Works, waiting for my Fox 38 to come back from him and that bike will be dialed

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
Also here she is as of now. I can’t get a micro spline driver for my hope hubs very easily so there’s old 11sp on there now. Will be changing that soon. Also gonna put the stock maxxis tires back on, but my blue wheels were on my husbands stumpjumper and I didn’t feel like messing with the tubeless the day I swapped them.

Driver for sale here
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3221243/

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 20:33 Quote
What setting of the flip chip do y’all usually ride in, and do you switch it up super often? Mine’s only a few weeks away and I can’t wait to ride it!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 21:51 Quote
What version did you get? the 27.5 or the 29? They are massively different in geo.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
What setting of the flip chip do y’all usually ride in, and do you switch it up super often? Mine’s only a few weeks away and I can’t wait to ride it!

Mine's been in the low setting since I bought it and I've never felt the need to change it.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
What version did you get? the 27.5 or the 29? They are massively different in geo.

I'm getting the 29er. I have ridden the X 27.5 in a parking lot in the low setting and it was quite slack, I'd say the 27.5 is nearly an enduro bike

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
noideamtber wrote:

I'm getting the 29er. I have ridden the X 27.5 in a parking lot in the low setting and it was quite slack, I'd say the 27.5 is nearly an enduro bike

Then i would be riding the 29er in low as its quite steep for a modern trail bike.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Would depend on terrain you ride, I run mine in high since I live in Phoenix and it's super rocky and techy so rather avoid pedal strikes as much as possible. If I rode more groomed or buffed high speed trails I would switch to low most likely.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
noideamtber wrote:

Then i would be riding the 29er in low as its quite steep for a modern trail bike.

I'm coming off a 2019 Trance 27.5 with a 67° HTA, even the high setting is still slacker than that, so I don't think I'd have too much issue in either setting. None of the trails I do often have any super rocky sections so I may just leave it in low and see how it does

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:21 Quote
Anyone tried the new Fox Float X on the trance x29?

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
dextercolvin323 wrote:
Anyone tried the new Fox Float X on the trance x29?
i have it on my new X 27.5 and its really good. Its good enough that i dont think ill upgrade it as was going to put an X2 on.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007563
Mobile Version of Website