Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
WY228 wrote:
How's the stock frame bearings holding up for everyone? Coming up on 2 years on my '21 X and still on the original bearings. Still quiet and seem to be working fine. Had the shock off a few months ago and one of the lower shock bearings felt a tiny bit gritty but not enough for concern. No idea how gritty the lower rear linkage ones might be since they're right in the line of fire of the rear wheel spray but I'm too lazy to take it apart to find out.

Thinking of ordering a set to have on hand in case any of the stock ones grenade on me though.

Mine are holding up fine after 2 years of moderate use, knock on wood. I think I’ll do a full refresh after this season though. I just upgraded the stock DPS on my 21 x2 to a new takeoff DPX2 with a similar light tune. It’s the performance elite so has the low speed compression tuning. Once I got that dialed in the bike has been noticeably more planted cornering and climbing. It’s not a massive upgrade over the DPS but suits my winch and plummet riding better and is of course more composed than the DPS on the bottom half of the 10-12 minute descents I frequently ride. I also put in .4 spacer where I think the DPX2s that came stock on the 2021 x 1 and the advanced came with a .2. I might even end up moving up a size. I’m not sure the ROI for a factory DPX2 over the stock DPS is there but if you can find a light tune takeoff at a decent price it’s worth the money.

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
Mmarkot wrote:
Mine are holding up fine after 2 years of moderate use, knock on wood. I think I’ll do a full refresh after this season though. I just upgraded the stock DPS on my 21 x2 to a new takeoff DPX2 with a similar light tune. It’s the performance elite so has the low speed compression tuning. Once I got that dialed in the bike has been noticeably more planted cornering and climbing. It’s not a massive upgrade over the DPS but suits my winch and plummet riding better and is of course more composed than the DPS on the bottom half of the 10-12 minute descents I frequently ride. I also put in .4 spacer where I think the DPX2s that came stock on the 2021 x 1 and the advanced came with a .2. I might even end up moving up a size. I’m not sure the ROI for a factory DPX2 over the stock DPS is there but if you can find a light tune takeoff at a decent price it’s worth the money.

I did the exact same thing a few months after buying my X 2. Found a DPX2 performance take off from a carbon Trance X a guy was selling here on PB. Agree its not a groundbreaking change over the stock DPS but I have a similar riding style and it does stay more composed on long descents. I feel like finding a take off is the way to go, don't know if I'd drop the coin on an aftermarket factory version.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 13:15 Quote
WY228 wrote:
I did the exact same thing a few months after buying my X 2. Found a DPX2 performance take off from a carbon Trance X a guy was selling here on PB. Agree its not a groundbreaking change over the stock DPS but I have a similar riding style and it does stay more composed on long descents. I feel like finding a take off is the way to go, don't know if I'd drop the coin on an aftermarket factory version.

Even before the DPX2 upgrade the bike was an underrated mini-enduro rig. I never saw a decent review of the x2 which probably contributed to that. With the SLX kit and fox 36 the 21 x2 was such a value. Now with the DPX2 it can go head to head with any other bike in its class and total cost outlay is still cheaper than comps. It’s not a park bike but it’s super practical, durable, and the value is there.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
The one exception is the stock dropper. That thing is trash.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 14:30 Quote
Mmarkot wrote:
The one exception is the stock dropper. That thing is trash.

Yup. Ditched it for a OneUp, no regrets.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
I've never had an issue with Giant droppers, worked fine with no fuss for me. I only swapped them out when I was wanting longer drop.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 22:38 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
I've never had an issue with Giant droppers, worked fine with no fuss for me. I only swapped them out when I was wanting longer drop.

Me too.

The oneup is better (but more maintenance). The contact is just fine and hella reliable.

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 6:02 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
Me too.

The oneup is better (but more maintenance). The contact is just fine and hella reliable.

Ironically it was the opposite for me. The Giant dropper would get sticky or quit working and need service every couple of months at best. My OneUp has been nearly zero maintenance for about a year now. Took it apart and cleaned/serviced once about 6 months in when it slowed down some. Was a really easy process. 6 more months later still smooth and fast. Do have to top it off with air from time to time but that's a 5 minute job. I also use fork boost lube occasionally to keep the seal clean, so maybe that's helping its case.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:
Me too.

Ironically it was the opposite for me. The Giant dropper would get sticky or quit working and need service every couple of months at best. My OneUp has been nearly zero maintenance for about a year now. Took it apart and cleaned/serviced once about 6 months in when it slowed down some. Was a really easy process. 6 more months later still smooth and fast. Do have to top it off with air from time to time but that's a 5 minute job. I also use fork boost lube occasionally to keep the seal clean, so maybe that's helping its case.

I never ever ever maintained the giant dropper from 2012 to 2018 (and that dropper is still going strong on a family members bike) and another from 2018to 2020 (don’t know where that is now). Also both my kids bikes are specced with hand me down contacts.

The one up gets a lot more use, is longer, and I clamp it at the collar, but it needs a little lube under the collar and a rebuild kit within the year of use.

But the one up is crisper when working well, and doesn’t have the slop that developed at the seat. My new bike came specked with a one up. And I’ll get the longer one when I get around to it, one up is great.

Tl:dr. I like the one up. But I don’t think the contact deserves any shit.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 18:44 Quote
I have a 21 Trance X advanced 2 and I was looking to upgrade my rear shock to a Rock Shox Super Delux. Been seaching the PB classifieds sincs I want to get it second hand and there are a few out there but I want to be sure im getting the correct one. Do I just look for the size of 185 x 55 and the trunnion or thrushaft mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saw this one and its not to far from me, would it work for my bike?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3403973/

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
cuaround wrote:
I have a 21 Trance X advanced 2 and I was looking to upgrade my rear shock to a Rock Shox Super Delux. Been seaching the PB classifieds sincs I want to get it second hand and there are a few out there but I want to be sure im getting the correct one. Do I just look for the size of 185 x 55 and the trunnion or thrushaft mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you'll want to look for a 185x55 trunnion mount. Important you get trunnion mount so that no extra hardware is needed for the upper shock mount, the pivot bolts just bolt directly into the shock (with a small spacer/washer in between, should be able to use the ones already on your bike).

The shock you linked would work but you'd have to remove the silver bushing in the lower eyelet so that the mounting hardware will fit through. AFAIK the eyelets on Fox and Rockshox shocks are the same diameter so you should be able to use your stock hardware and move it to the new shock.

Rockshox sells a tool to remove those bushings, should only be ~$20. You'll likely need this if you plan to buy a RS shock second hand because they almost always come with that bushing IME.

Something like this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-05X05-Rear-Shock-Bushing-Tool-5X5-Rear-Shock-Bushing-Tool?loc=usa&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw0dKXBhBPEiwA2bmObQsIjExv-5UbxoBwDY-Yp5Fo5hfOaxnNEgf9On6cDEYp7Opfvyx2hRoC5bIQAvD_BwE

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
cuaround wrote:

That one will work, you'll just have to remove the lower bushing. FYI, all 185mm length shocks are trunnion mount so as long as you get a 185x55 you'll be good

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 18:51 Quote
WY228 and Eviljarv, very much appreciate the help. Do you guys think the upgrade to the Super delux from a RockShox Deluxe Select+ is worth it? Im an intermediate rider in Colorado. No bike parks just single track.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 19:36 Quote
cuaround wrote:
WY228 and Eviljarv, very much appreciate the help. Do you guys think the upgrade to the Super delux from a RockShox Deluxe Select+ is worth it? Im an intermediate rider in Colorado. No bike parks just single track.
I couldn't tell you to be honest, all my suspension I run is custom tuned Avalanche stuff

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
cuaround wrote:

It'll be marginal especially if your trails aren't very rowdy. Piggyback shocks are better at long rough descents since the reservoir helps manage heat. They'll fade less and not pack up as quickly. If your trails are more an even mix of up and down or if your downhills are mellow you won't see as much benefit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006901
Mobile Version of Website