Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
I have had both & actually tried the Deluxe at the park on my 19 Stumpy yesterday. It was just fine, even a bit better than the SD Ultimate, but it did have 2.5mm more travel, so that was probably the improvement.
Did a few very rooty high speed runs & can say I didn't notice any fade.
Save your money for tires, instead!

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
NHmtnrider wrote:
Da-Moose wrote:
NHmtnrider wrote:
photo
Coil front/coil rear has been great so far! Haven't felt the need to re-shim the rear shock either, running a progressive spring has been ticket to bottom-out resistance. We'll see how it fairs during bike park season here in CO later this summer.

That is Hawt! Please let me know how it rides long term. A lot of my CO friends swear by MRP suspension, but I ended up going with cane creek on my last bike. My trance has RS stuff now because that’s all I could find in stock, but I’m considering going to a cane creek coil setup with their progressive spring when available, so please let me know how it fares. Bike is a stunner congrats man!

Thanks man! Second season on this setup and couldn’t be happier. I actually live here in Grand Jct and work at MRP so I'm partial to our stuff. Smile

How does the coil shock ride compared to the DPS air shock? I put a DPX2 on my Trance x 29 2 and it still feels harsh. I know there’s only so much you can do with 135mm rear travel but… I also put a super deluxe ultimate on my Orbea Occam and that helped a lot. I’m hoping either super deluxe or coil is the solution.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 15:06 Quote
I've been looking at replacing my Orbea Occam with a Giant Trance X 29. They seem pretty similar and I have been frustrated with the bearings going bad on my Occam and with a creaking I just can't seem to get rid of.

A friend says that he doesn't like the Giant suspension because you have to run super high pressures, especially if you are a heavier rider. I have seen lots of posts about how people have set their suspension, but not the actual settings. Can a few of you who are heavier tell me what pressure you are running in your rear shock. I'm 225lbs right now.

For comparison, my Occam comes with a special tool to set sag. To get the proper sag I need to put over 300psi into my shock. I'd prefer a suspension design where I don't have to run such high pressure.

Thanks.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
My friend has a TX with the rhythm and dps, it actually pedals and goes really well... Ive ridden it a few times and it rides excellent at my weight of 210lbs... If i was to buy one i would put a -1(or -1.5) headset in it and maybe a float X or X2 etc it would waken the bike up even more from a short travel ripper to a All mountain ripper.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
Reedmania wrote:
I've been looking at replacing my Orbea Occam with a Giant Trance X 29. They seem pretty similar and I have been frustrated with the bearings going bad on my Occam and with a creaking I just can't seem to get rid of.

A friend says that he doesn't like the Giant suspension because you have to run super high pressures, especially if you are a heavier rider. I have seen lots of posts about how people have set their suspension, but not the actual settings. Can a few of you who are heavier tell me what pressure you are running in your rear shock. I'm 225lbs right now.

For comparison, my Occam comes with a special tool to set sag. To get the proper sag I need to put over 300psi into my shock. I'd prefer a suspension design where I don't have to run such high pressure.

Thanks.
your friend is wrong, most of the new Giant bikes have an overall low leverage ratio so they are actually better for heavier guys but will also depend on shock selection, I would go with the new Float X that was designed to need about 10-20% less pressure than the DPS/DPX2.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
My friend has a TX with the rhythm and dps, it actually pedals and goes really well... Ive ridden it a few times and it rides excellent at my weight of 210lbs...

Any idea what kind of pressure you were running in the rear shock?

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 20:54 Quote
Reedmania wrote:
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
My friend has a TX with the rhythm and dps, it actually pedals and goes really well... Ive ridden it a few times and it rides excellent at my weight of 210lbs...

Any idea what kind of pressure you were running in the rear shock?

Cant remember, i setup that bike awhile ago for him, hes 5kg lighter than me though. it wasnt super high.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
Anyone replaced the bottom bracket on the aluminum Trance X 29? Want to know what specs the BB are. The spec list on Giant’s website just says “Shimano PF”.

Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Anyone replaced the bottom bracket on the aluminum Trance X 29? Want to know what specs the BB are. The spec list on Giant’s website just says “Shimano PF”.

Standard BB92

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
WY228 wrote:

Standard BB92

Perfect, thank you.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 14:12 Quote
Reedmania wrote:

Thanks.

I don't have a Trance X so not exactly the same, but had a Trance 29 (non-X) and now have a Reign 29 so can give some comparison there. I'm around 105kg which is 231lb (actually might be a bit more at the moment).

The Trance 29 had a little DPS, I ran it at 305psi with max volume spacers and still bottomed out more often than I wanted.

The Reign 29 has a X2, I have it at 285psi and hardly ever bottom right out but do use the travel. It has whatever volume spacers it came from the factory with, I've never opened it up to check. I have been thinking about adding a volume spacer for a more progressive feel though, the X2 feels quite linear to me.

The Trance X is probably in between those, reviews suggest its more poppy feeling than the Reign so it may have a more progressive tune.

Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Reedmania wrote:

Thanks.

I don't have a Trance X so not exactly the same, but had a Trance 29 (non-X) and now have a Reign 29 so can give some comparison there. I'm around 105kg which is 231lb (actually might be a bit more at the moment).

The Trance 29 had a little DPS, I ran it at 305psi with max volume spacers and still bottomed out more often than I wanted.

The Reign 29 has a X2, I have it at 285psi and hardly ever bottom right out but do use the travel. It has whatever volume spacers it came from the factory with, I've never opened it up to check. I have been thinking about adding a volume spacer for a more progressive feel though, the X2 feels quite linear to me.

The Trance X is probably in between those, reviews suggest its more poppy feeling than the Reign so it may have a more progressive tune.

You should try the new Float X, runs a lot lower pressures than DPS or X2

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 15:49 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
You should try the new Float X, runs a lot lower pressures than DPS or X2

I'm quite happy with the X2 in general, no desire to spend that much money on a new shock just for the sake of trying something different.

If I needed a new shock I would certainly consider the Float X though.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
I said farewell to my trance x 29 a week or two ago, and replaced it with this:

photo

photo

photo

photo

I still have a few changes to make, some new gold chromag pedals, charger damper for the fork, and a new freehub body to get the shimano cassette back on there but I’m stoked. Already rode it twice and it’s wicked fun.

Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 8:14 Quote
Hi,

Does anyone know the rear wheel bearing sizes for a 2021 trance X 3?

Giant have given 152C-ACCKIT-0003 for the repair kit but I just want to grab some bearings.

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018242
Mobile Version of Website