Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
Is it just me, or did Giant just up the price in America for the X 2 from 3000 to 3200?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-trance-x-29-2021

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
yeeyeemtb wrote:
Is it just me, or did Giant just up the price in America for the X 2 from 3000 to 3200?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-trance-x-29-2021

They did, some other aluminum models like the Reign 29 went up by $200 also. I think its likely a tariff adjustment.

Glad I got my X 2 before.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
I thought it was my seat squeaking but actually needed to crank my seat post itself more than normal. That fixed it

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
Anybody on an X 2 run into issues with the stock KMC chain on the Shimano SLX drivetrain?

LBS gave it the first free tune-up last week and the first ride after the low gears were extremely noisy and shifting sucked. Thought it must have been a mistake in the tuning so took it back to the shop. The mechanics ran through everything but couldn't get the noise and chatter to go away, we were all stumped. Even checked hanger alignment which was fine. In the stand it ran through the gears perfectly fine but once on the bike and pedaling the noise returned.

Finally tried slapping on a Shimano XT chain with hyperglide+ and it runs flawlessly and silent now both in the stand and when riding.

It was just strange that it got along fine with the KMC chain before the first tune-up and only ran into issues after.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
Finally received my Trance X 3, only had one ride in the rain but so far love it!

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Beer

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
Aemancini wrote:
Finally received my Trance X 3, only had one ride in the rain but so far love it!

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Beer

Definitely give us a ride update when you've had a chance to get familiar with it! I'm in the same boat as you, looking at the '3' level but have some reservations about SX and the RS 35. Curious to hear what your thoughts will be.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
pumpjumpnflow wrote:
Aemancini wrote:

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Beer

Definitely give us a ride update when you've had a chance to get familiar with it! I'm in the same boat as you, looking at the '3' level but have some reservations about SX and the RS 35. Curious to hear what your thoughts will be.

If you are concerned about the RS35, I would spend the extra money and get the 2 with the fox 36. I agree with the reservations on the sx but reality is that the sx drive train can be upgraded to an XT for $200-$300 which is where my decision came from. I honestly have not ridden the fox 36 so I cannot tell you the difference. I have confidence in the RS 35 for now for the type of riding I am doing. for $800 more you get a fox 36 and an upgrade drivetrain, the fox 36 bought on its own in $1000.

After the couple of rides I have had, I am really happy but I haven't been able to put in a ton of miles due to weather, will be getting 2-3 rides in later this week.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
Aemancini wrote:
pumpjumpnflow wrote:
Aemancini wrote:

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Beer

If you are concerned about the RS35, I would spend the extra money and get the 2 with the fox 36. I agree with the reservations on the sx but reality is that the sx drive train can be upgraded to an XT for $200-$300 which is where my decision came from. I honestly have not ridden the fox 36 so I cannot tell you the difference. I have confidence in the RS 35 for now for the type of riding I am doing. for $800 more you get a fox 36 and an upgrade drivetrain, the fox 36 bought on its own in $1000.

After the couple of rides I have had, I am really happy but I haven't been able to put in a ton of miles due to weather, will be getting 2-3 rides in later this week.

I'd love to but unfortunately my official budget is $2500 and not a single penny more so it's the '3' or bust, even though I agree the 36 and SLX are great upgrades for the price difference between the two. I was really hoping they'd spec the '3' like the Trance 29, with a Z2 and Deore.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
pumpjumpnflow wrote:
Aemancini wrote:
pumpjumpnflow wrote:

I'd love to but unfortunately my official budget is $2500 and not a single penny more so it's the '3' or bust, even though I agree the 36 and SLX are great upgrades for the price difference between the two. I was really hoping they'd spec the '3' like the Trance 29, with a Z2 and Deore.

Valid points, So far I like how this bike is spec'd/ The SX eagle was a little chunky at first but after some adjustments it seem smooth. Just thinking, they are not in stock, put away $100 a month for the next 5 months and you have the 2. Or buy the 3 ride it till it breaks and upgrade it later. I do not think you will be unhappy with it. The bike is great especially for the price.

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 6:22 Quote
pumpjumpnflow wrote:
Aemancini wrote:

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Beer

I wanted to provide an update, I have about 40 trail miles on the bike. I posted a similar review on the Giant website, but here are the highlights

This bike is dialed in! it climbs like an absolute beast! but descends very well for being a 29er, it took a few rides to get my confidence on it but that was not the bike, that was me.

It chews up rock gardens and rock rollers like nothing.

The 1X12 is perfect, you have a great range, I have yet to be in a situation where I want more gearing. I thought the 780MM bars were going to be too wide, they are not.

Pro's: Travel numbers are great!
Price!
Tire Selection - very good
Seat is comfy
bar width is good
Freewheel noise (I personally love it!)

Cons: SX Eagle Drivetrain - This is the main reason that the bike costs what it costs, so far so good but not sure about the longevity of it, I knew this when I bought it easily upgrade-able. Haven't had any major issues of note.

Seat Creak- This is known with these bikes, I have heard it will go away, we will see, if not, will do a dropper upgrade at some point. No reason to not buy the bike just something to be aware of.

I am still dialing in the suspension, I I typically run the front on Med setting and rebound. I need to find some time to session a feature to play a little more with the rebound. but so far so good.

Shock, This is taking me a little more time, I have been playing around with pressure a little more, thinking I will pump it up a little higher today.

That's a so far honest review, I love everything about this bike!

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 21:48 Quote
Just read MBR's review, being the only reviewers around that measure geo. They have the reach 14mm shorter than published for a size L, which is making me nervous about the M. Anyone on one that could do a quick measure front of the nose to to center of stem cap so I could get a ball park? Large Trance I have for reference is 26cm.

I realize reach isn't seated, but it's a difficult measurement and a lot to ask. It can be extrapolated from saddle to stem cap well enough for me.

Cheers

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
50percentsure wrote:
Just read MBR's review, being the only reviewers around that measure geo. They have the reach 14mm shorter than published for a size L, which is making me nervous about the M. Anyone on one that could do a quick measure front of the nose to to center of stem cap so I could get a ball park? Large Trance I have for reference is 26cm.

I realize reach isn't seated, but it's a difficult measurement and a lot to ask. It can be extrapolated from saddle to stem cap well enough for me.

Cheers

Measured from center of seat post (extended for my leg extension) to center of handlebars (stem raised one small spacer above the cut off steerer tube) size large Trance X, is 26”.

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 22:56 Quote
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
50percentsure wrote:

Cheers

Measured from center of seat post (extended for my leg extension) to center of handlebars (stem raised one small spacer above the cut off steerer tube) size large Trance X, is 26”.

Beer Thanks Snake. Can I ask how tall you are?

Anyone on a medium?

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
50percentsure wrote:
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
50percentsure wrote:

Cheers

Beer Thanks Snake. Can I ask how tall you are?

Anyone on a medium?

5’11”

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
I'm 180cm tall with a 90cm inseam, and feel super comfortable on my L Trance X. I feel that I am perfectly suited for this size, and am neither on the tall or short end of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018213
Mobile Version of Website