Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
Do you know how much the stock wheels weigh?

I’ve been riding the X2 for about 3 months now. I switched tires to the schwalbe racing Ralph’s, 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, and it made a huge difference.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 17:52 Quote
Geomane wrote:

I’ve been riding the X2 for about 3 months now. I switched tires to the schwalbe racing Ralph’s, 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, and it made a huge difference.

Read on the review for the bike by Flow MTB that they weigh 2.46kg. I'm too lazy to strip them down to the bare rim to weigh and verify though.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 20:52 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Geomane wrote:

Read on the review for the bike by Flow MTB that they weigh 2.46kg. I'm too lazy to strip them down to the bare rim to weigh and verify though.

That is 5.42 pounds for us Yankees. Add the SX cassette that’s on the X-3 and you got the reason why the bike is a slug.

In my riding area the Racing Ralphs are just not enough rubber to survive or that would be another option to drop some of that ridiculous rolling weight.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
WY228 wrote:
Geomane wrote:

That is 5.42 pounds for us Yankees. Add the SX cassette that’s on the X-3 and you got the reason why the bike is a slug.

In my riding area the Racing Ralphs are just not enough rubber to survive or that would be another option to drop some of that ridiculous rolling weight.

So we all agree that a lighter wheelset should definitely be on the cards?

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
Stickyflange87 wrote:
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
WY228 wrote:

IMO the wheels are the only thing that "needs" upgrading, at least on the X2. Suspension and drivetrain are all fine and could be slowly upgraded later as parts wear out.

The wheels work fine so I guess you don't technically need to upgrade, but they are really heavy for a trail bike.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Stickyflange87 wrote:
Snake-Plisskin wrote:

IMO the wheels are the only thing that "needs" upgrading, at least on the X2. Suspension and drivetrain are all fine and could be slowly upgraded later as parts wear out.

The wheels work fine so I guess you don't technically need to upgrade, but they are really heavy for a trail bike.

I'm with you here, I purchased the Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheelset recently. The engagement is much better and they're slightly lighter (no crazy difference though)

Very curious how they will ride, shame I cannot get out until April-ish due to wet ground Frown

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
Anybody here 5'10"? What size are you on? Considering a medium... Moon

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
mobiller wrote:

That's me and I have no issues with sizing

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
Stickyflange87 wrote:
mobiller wrote:

Cheers, 5'10" on a medium then? How's the seated reach feel if you don't mind my asking? Using the stock 40mm stem? How's the stack of spacers under the stem with that dinky 100mm head tube?

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
mobiller wrote:
Stickyflange87 wrote:
mobiller wrote:

Cheers, 5'10" on a medium then? How's the seated reach feel if you don't mind my asking? Using the stock 40mm stem? How's the stack of spacers under the stem with that dinky 100mm head tube?

Its good to go mate, I feel pretty confident on it and my wrists/hands are in a comfortable position for a long day on the bike.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
WTF? Is it just me or has the Trance X 2 had 2 price bumps in Canada in the last 6 months. I have been contemplating a new bike for the spring and keeping tabs on various models. A week ago the Trance X 2 was $3700 an not its showing as $3999. Never before have I seen price bumps in the same release year.....they can call it COVID issues all they want.....the bottom line is that the demand has never been greater and all the bike companies are taking advantage of this fact and inflating prices. Rocky Mountain is bumping up their Instinct by 600-700 hundred from last year. Shame on you guys......I get the business aspect of this but c'mon.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 22:16 Quote
canuck8 wrote:
WTF? Is it just me or has the Trance X 2 had 2 price bumps in Canada in the last 6 months. I have been contemplating a new bike for the spring and keeping tabs on various models. A week ago the Trance X 2 was $3700 an not its showing as $3999. Never before have I seen price bumps in the same release year.....they can call it COVID issues all they want.....the bottom line is that the demand has never been greater and all the bike companies are taking advantage of this fact and inflating prices. Rocky Mountain is bumping up their Instinct by 600-700 hundred from last year. Shame on you guys......I get the business aspect of this but c'mon.

I get your frustration as I'm waiting on 3 frames I ordered last August still and luckily I ordered them before price increases but I don't think it's the manufactures taking advantage of people, mostly comes down to raw materials have gone way up lately thanks to covid and ocean freight right now is pretty much down to a crawl so what I've heard it's that a lot of bike companies are using air freight instead to meet supply but then that cost has to be passed down to the consumer. Crazy how each little things from manufacturing to supply chain can add up so fast

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
I get your frustration as I'm waiting on 3 frames I ordered last August still and luckily I ordered them before price increases but I don't think it's the manufactures taking advantage of people, mostly comes down to raw materials have gone way up lately thanks to covid and ocean freight right now is pretty much down to a crawl so what I've heard it's that a lot of bike companies are using air freight instead to meet supply but then that cost has to be passed down to the consumer. Crazy how each little things from manufacturing to supply chain can add up so fast[/Quote]

Not sure that I agree. I think that the price hikes are attributed to company greed and the upturn in demand. The economic arguments tied to COVID are merely justifications. We all know the markup on bike prices is outrageous.....thats why in pre-covid times an unsold high end bike dropped $1000 at the end of the season to clear out the inventory. That margin could be absorbed at some level......not sure a $300-600 price change per unit that the consumer absorbs is justified......but as they know.....you are either willing to pay or you ride your old steed. In comparison.....I have been considering a 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 adv bike........3 times the rubber, steel, aluminum, and a motor.....yet the Cad price of $12,300 has remained unchanged from its pre-covid release last spring to as recently as today.
Just my 2 cents......

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
canuck8 wrote:
Not sure that I agree. I think that the price hikes are attributed to company greed and the upturn in demand. The economic arguments tied to COVID are merely justifications. We all know the markup on bike prices is outrageous.....thats why in pre-covid times an unsold high end bike dropped $1000 at the end of the season to clear out the inventory. That margin could be absorbed at some level......not sure a $300-600 price change per unit that the consumer absorbs is justified......but as they know.....you are either willing to pay or you ride your old steed. In comparison.....I have been considering a 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 adv bike........3 times the rubber, steel, aluminum, and a motor.....yet the Cad price of $12,300 has remained unchanged from its pre-covid release last spring to as recently as today.
Just my 2 cents......

Demand > Supply = increased price. Its just simple economics. It sucks for us consumers but this applies in every industry ever, not just with bikes. Manufacturers are having to go to extremes to not only produce bikes but to get them to consumers, they are absolutely paying more for production and transport and 10 times out of 10 that cost will be passed along to consumers. Doesn't help that something like 98% of bicycles are produced in the general area the pandemic started and had some of the strongest impact.

That Yamaha Tenere hasn't seen a price hike because demand growth for a $12k+ motorcycle in the last year is nowhere near that of sub-$3k bicycles. The motorcycle industry has been declining for nearly a decade now as well, cycling has been the opposite. But regardless that comparison is apples to oranges.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
mobiller wrote:
Stickyflange87 wrote:
mobiller wrote:

5'9" on medium. But i moved to 50mm stem. 40mm felt cramped when seated. I think large with 40mm stem would also work.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030651
Mobile Version of Website