Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Posted: Feb 13, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
I am 5'8" with a 32 1/2" inseam (in my chamois) and just ordered an X2 in Large. While the reach on the Medium is great when standing, the seated position is too cramped with the steep seat tube making the top tube short. I look for a reach over 18" and still look at top tube lengths and they need to be over 24", or the seated position will be too cramped for me. I always slam the stem and like it to be 35-40mm. I also run 760mm bars which bring my hands closer in and let me sit up more.

I am upsizing to Large, but it would be nice if there was still something in between the M and L. I was test riding the Reign 29 alot and felt more comfortable on the L too. I got a picture of me on a M 2020 Giant Reign and look huge on the bike.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 16:14 Quote
jtmtb82 wrote:
I am 5'8" with a 32 1/2" inseam (in my chamois) and just ordered an X2 in Large. While the reach on the Medium is great when standing, the seated position is too cramped with the steep seat tube making the top tube short. I look for a reach over 18" and still look at top tube lengths and they need to be over 24", or the seated position will be too cramped for me. I always slam the stem and like it to be 35-40mm. I also run 760mm bars which bring my hands closer in and let me sit up more.

I am upsizing to Large, but it would be nice if there was still something in between the M and L. I was test riding the Reign 29 alot and felt more comfortable on the L too. I got a picture of me on a M 2020 Giant Reign and look huge on the bike.

Is your wingspan slightly longer than your height? This can affect how reach feels I've found. Your inseam seems pretty long for your height.

I've properly measured myself recently shopping for a road bike (used to just ball park my measurements for MTB, was using pants inseam size as actual inseam Rolleyes ). I'm just a hair over 5'10" with a 33" inseam and I'm on a size large. I found my wingspan is right at 6', so I think that lead me to like the large over the medium because reach felt cramped on the smaller size. Even though my legs are on the short side for a large and I have the seat post nearly slammed.

I just like the feel of a bigger bike though, feels more stable to me. With the low BB on the X I feel like I'm riding in the bike rather than on top of it.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
WY228 wrote:
jtmtb82 wrote:

Is your wingspan slightly longer than your height? This can affect how reach feels I've found. Your inseam seems pretty long for your height.

I've properly measured myself recently shopping for a road bike (used to just ball park my measurements for MTB, was using pants inseam size as actual inseam Rolleyes ). I'm just a hair over 5'10" with a 33" inseam and I'm on a size large. I found my wingspan is right at 6', so I think that lead me to like the large over the medium because reach felt cramped on the smaller size. Even though my legs are on the short side for a large and I have the seat post nearly slammed.

I just like the feel of a bigger bike though, feels more stable to me. With the low BB on the X I feel like I'm riding in the bike rather than on top of it.

I measured inseam like I’ve seen in cyclist videos with a level between the legs and pushed up firm like the saddle would be. I wear 30” jeans. My wingspan is roughly 5’10” (70.5”)if I measured right by myself. I agree with you 100% that I like the feeling of being in the bike and not on it. I can’t figure out how to post the picture of me on the M Reign but it looks like I’m on top of the bike. I just sold my 2020 Intense Primer which is close to the Trance with a slacker seat tube angle, longer top tube, but shorter reach. Hopefully it fits right when I pick it up Wednesday. I’m just worried that the M is right for me, but I’m used to older geo where seat tube is slack which makes the top tube longer, but the reach was shorter on the older bikes and it makes you ride hunched over more than the modern upright position, even though it’s cramped.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
jtmtb82 wrote:
WY228 wrote:
jtmtb82 wrote:

I measured inseam like I’ve seen in cyclist videos with a level between the legs and pushed up firm like the saddle would be. I wear 30” jeans. My wingspan is roughly 5’10” (70.5”)if I measured right by myself. I agree with you 100% that I like the feeling of being in the bike and not on it. I can’t figure out how to post the picture of me on the M Reign but it looks like I’m on top of the bike. I just sold my 2020 Intense Primer which is close to the Trance with a slacker seat tube angle, longer top tube, but shorter reach. Hopefully it fits right when I pick it up Wednesday. I’m just worried that the M is right for me, but I’m used to older geo where seat tube is slack which makes the top tube longer, but the reach was shorter on the older bikes and it makes you ride hunched over more than the modern upright position, even though it’s cramped.

I’m about you exactly. Average human.

Went with the large and put a 40mm stem on it. Dropper post about an 1 1/4 up from slammed.

I think I made a good choice for fit, sight unseen, with help from the PB crew.

I have bought the smaller bike all times before this because I liked to whip the bike around and fling it BMX style. This is more of a seated climber and plower in the large. I’m fine with that.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
jtmtb82 wrote:
WY228 wrote:

I’m about you exactly. Average human.

Went with the large and put a 40mm stem on it. Dropper post about an 1 1/4 up from slammed.

I think I made a good choice for fit, sight unseen, with help from the PB crew.

I have bought the smaller bike all times before this because I liked to whip the bike around and fling it BMX style. This is more of a seated climber and plower in the large. I’m fine with that.

Just picked mine up on Wednesday. Seat is slammed to the collar and is perfect. Just need to get a 35-40mm stem and some 760mm bars and done. Going for the maiden voyage tonight. Covered the frame with AMS Full protection.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Damnit, just recieved my Tx last week. Great bike as suspected but wth, whats wrong with giants droppers this is my second giant dropper and the last one was in 2017, that one i could keep tidy by servicing several times during 2 years of abuse.
But this one on my 2021 bike is already struggling, and i just noticed they’ve changed the mechanic parts to plastic, like wtf theyre supposed to push on a small metalknob so many times it will most deff be broken in nearest of time..

The problem is right now that my dropper is moving in less than half speed, havnt had a proper look yet but it seems like the plastic bits arent pushing the knob as much as needed.
Anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 16:50 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
Damnit, just recieved my Tx last week. Great bike as suspected but wth, whats wrong with giants droppers this is my second giant dropper and the last one was in 2017, that one i could keep tidy by servicing several times during 2 years of abuse.
But this one on my 2021 bike is already struggling, and i just noticed they’ve changed the mechanic parts to plastic, like wtf theyre supposed to push on a small metalknob so many times it will most deff be broken in nearest of time..

The problem is right now that my dropper is moving in less than half speed, havnt had a proper look yet but it seems like the plastic bits arent pushing the knob as much as needed.

I got a Trance X 2 back in September and the dropper sucked from Day One. Stuck down multiple times and never worked for a complete ride. When it did work it worked poorly. I bought the bike at a shop that was over an hour away that isn’t my normal LBS (they’re a Trek dealer and said that the Fuel EX I was looking at was out until May). Put in a warranty claim through the Giant dealer near my office in October. Kept calling that shop and they claimed that Giant was not giving them any info about a replacement air cartridge. I gave up in January and got a PNW Loam. Love the bike otherwise but the dropper was disappointing and really detracted from the fun on some rides.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 0:20 Quote
MiLi wrote:
mobiller wrote:
Stickyflange87 wrote:

That's me and I have no issues with sizing

Cheers, 5'10" on a medium then? How's the seated reach feel if you don't mind my asking? Using the stock 40mm stem? How's the stack of spacers under the stem with that dinky 100mm head tube?

5'9" on medium. But i moved to 50mm stem. 40mm felt cramped when seated. I think large with 40mm stem would also work.

I'm 5'9" and ended up on a medium with a 50mm stem, 38mm riser bars and no spacers (removing spacers adds a little reach) I might add a single spacer below the stem.
With this setup I'm pretty much exactly at my ideal RAD (Rider Area Distance) measurement (from BB to 1cm below a line between midpoint of grips).
Feels comfortable.
No chance to test ride a large, had to order the bike in.
Next mod is a fork travel increase to 160mm

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
Safetymike679 wrote:
Skitrulle wrote:

I got a Trance X 2 back in September and the dropper sucked from Day One. Stuck down multiple times and never worked for a complete ride. When it did work it worked poorly. I bought the bike at a shop that was over an hour away that isn’t my normal LBS (they’re a Trek dealer and said that the Fuel EX I was looking at was out until May). Put in a warranty claim through the Giant dealer near my office in October. Kept calling that shop and they claimed that Giant was not giving them any info about a replacement air cartridge. I gave up in January and got a PNW Loam. Love the bike otherwise but the dropper was disappointing and really detracted from the fun on some rides.

Can also confirm the stock Giant dropper sucks. Quit working altogether a couple months ago, had the shop service and got it working again. Last few rides it got really slow and started sticking so I knew it was about to quit working again. Pathetic because I had barely been able to ride the last couple months so it didn't take much for it to act up again.

Shop is fixing again but likely going to order a OneUp soon and just replace the damn thing.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
Maybe I've been lucky. Had a Giant dropper running on one bike for 3 years and another for 2 years. The older one needed a cartridge change after 2 years, dealer I bought it from ordered me a cartridge and they changed it out in a day for free. Both posts ran smooth and trouble free otherwise. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I keep them as clean as the fork stanchions, and regularly regrease the collars.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
I noticed theres a difference between the droppers from giant, some are great, while others are not. Mine was not, and ive identified the problem and quickfixed it.
The problem was in the plastic mechanism, the upper lever thats supposed to push the metalknob didnt get moved enough to fully push the knob in, so i had to put a bit of a ziptie glued inbetween to minimize the distance to the knob.. this solved it temporary, but i will machine a new lever instead when time is given for it.

I had troubles with the old dropper aswell, or to be exact, my friend did and me having the same year model didnt have as much trouble with the same mechanism. Back then the problem was that other than needing to change cartridge after awhile, he had the metal mechanism levers rusted, which led to resistance that made the knob stay in open mode after he let go of the lever on the handlebar.. imagine jumping with saddle randomly go high position midair????

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Just picked up my Trance X. Wanted the 2 but with the price increase and my very limited budget I settled for the '3'. For reference I'm 5'6" riding a medium. I've got a 30.5" inseam and the 150mm dropper is pretty much slammed - but fits perfect. If my inseam was any shorter I think it'd be too tall but I'm happy because that was one of my concerns with the slightly taller 430mm seat tube. I went with the medium because I've got a +5 ape index so it should feel pretty good. Haven't had a chance to ride it around but figured I'll give an update after a few weeks for those perusing or curious about how it seems to ride. Can't comment on the dropper post yet, it worked when I rolled it out of the shop!

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
Yes, not that anyone needs confirming, but the stock dropper is absolutely abysmal. For anyone dropping it to a shop to service, lads it's a 15 minute job at home. Just unscrew the bottom, take it apart, clean it and lube it up with fresh sram butter. Doesn't magically make it fast, but at least it works and you don't have to drop it somewhere. Increasing the cable tension with the barrel at the lever sped up the return on mine, but it's still far from fast. Borderline acceptable enough for me to keep using until it fails properly before I replace with something better.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
ianeire wrote:
Yes, not that anyone needs confirming, but the stock dropper is absolutely abysmal. For anyone dropping it to a shop to service, lads it's a 15 minute job at home. Just unscrew the bottom, take it apart, clean it and lube it up with fresh sram butter. Doesn't magically make it fast, but at least it works and you don't have to drop it somewhere. Increasing the cable tension with the barrel at the lever sped up the return on mine, but it's still far from fast. Borderline acceptable enough for me to keep using until it fails properly before I replace with something better.

All my problems are at the lever so far. A Wolfs tooth should fix that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009388
Mobile Version of Website