Giant Trance X

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance X
Author Message
Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
ianeire wrote:
Yes, not that anyone needs confirming, but the stock dropper is absolutely abysmal. For anyone dropping it to a shop to service, lads it's a 15 minute job at home. Just unscrew the bottom, take it apart, clean it and lube it up with fresh sram butter. Doesn't magically make it fast, but at least it works and you don't have to drop it somewhere. Increasing the cable tension with the barrel at the lever sped up the return on mine, but it's still far from fast. Borderline acceptable enough for me to keep using until it fails properly before I replace with something better.

Agreed on it being a simple home fix, but my shop offered free lifetime tune-ups with the purchase so I'm lazy and just had them correct it while I had it in for other reasons Big Grin

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
So...

Anyone tried mulleting this bike yet? Im about to pull the trigger on a 27.5" rear wheel but would be nice to hear some feedback, if there is any? Big Grin

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
So...

Anyone tried mulleting this bike yet? Im about to pull the trigger on a 27.5" rear wheel but would be nice to hear some feedback, if there is any? Big Grin

Curious too. I will make it a mullet at some point. It honestly seems like the geo is perfect because of the high position flip chip. Changing nothing except the rear wheel only drops the BB height ~3mm from what it is in the low position so not bad. And since the seat and head angles are *relatively* steep to begin with, they won't get slacked out too much from the change. I plan on throwing a 2.6 recon in the back which should help with any BB height issues.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
i rode two years Spec Enduro 29" 2017 in mullet setup. i combined 2017 yoke with flip chip and 2018 link to get correct BB height (around 340mm). bike was blast to ride.

i tried mullet now with Trance X but it was too low. it was around 325mm with 2.4 Minion. Flip Chip alone is not enough. you can try with offset bushing, but you can use only one. i think it will bring additional 3mm.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
Has anyone been able to find or receive an exploded view diagram of the Trance X's rear suspension? One that shows all bearings, bolts, parts, etc. and their assembly order? Or just anything that shows specific bearing sizes for the rear pivots would be helpful as well.

Most manufacturers have these diagrams somewhere on their website or will send to you if you contact them but I can't seem to find anything or get an answer from Giant. May be replacing the pivot bearings in the semi-near future and would love to know the needed bearing specs before tearing down the bike.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
just ask the shop you bought it from?

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 0:39 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Has anyone been able to find or receive an exploded view diagram of the Trance X's rear suspension? One that shows all bearings, bolts, parts, etc. and their assembly order? Or just anything that shows specific bearing sizes for the rear pivots would be helpful as well.

Most manufacturers have these diagrams somewhere on their website or will send to you if you contact them but I can't seem to find anything or get an answer from Giant. May be replacing the pivot bearings in the semi-near future and would love to know the needed bearing specs before tearing down the bike.

You will get apropriate replacment set at you Giant dealer, it already includes all the bearings needed.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
MiLi wrote:
i rode two years Spec Enduro 29" 2017 in mullet setup. i combined 2017 yoke with flip chip and 2018 link to get correct BB height (around 340mm). bike was blast to ride.

i tried mullet now with Trance X but it was too low. it was around 325mm with 2.4 Minion. Flip Chip alone is not enough. you can try with offset bushing, but you can use only one. i think it will bring additional 3mm.

Hmm, difference in radial measurement between a 27.5" and 29" is only 15mm, and the bike is 335mm in low setting and 345mm in high, that should mean that you only lose less than 5mm bb height when converting to 27.5" rear if u run it in High mode, which should not be very noticeable. If you still ride it in low mode though, would give you around 320-325mm.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
MiLi wrote:
i rode two years Spec Enduro 29" 2017 in mullet setup. i combined 2017 yoke with flip chip and 2018 link to get correct BB height (around 340mm). bike was blast to ride.

i tried mullet now with Trance X but it was too low. it was around 325mm with 2.4 Minion. Flip Chip alone is not enough. you can try with offset bushing, but you can use only one. i think it will bring additional 3mm.

Hmm, difference in radial measurement between a 27.5" and 29" is only 15mm, and the bike is 335mm in low setting and 345mm in high, that should mean that you only lose less than 5mm bb height when converting to 27.5" rear if u run it in High mode, which should not be very noticeable. If you still ride it in low mode though, would give you around 320-325mm.

Put a 160mm fork on it and you get the 5mm back. All good!

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 10:18 Quote
I wish I still had the numbers I wrote down but I ran things in a geo simulator and it looked like the straight mullet conversion worked out pretty well. And there’s definitely the option of the 160 fork or slight larger/taller tire to make up for the BB height. I actually think mullet + 160 fork would be such a fun bike.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 4:20 Quote
Why not just get the Reign then? Sounds like you are taking a really good bike and changing it into something it wasn’t supposed to be.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Kickaxe wrote:
Why not just get the Reign then? Sounds like you are taking a really good bike and changing it into something it wasn’t supposed to be.

Reign would still have different geo, as in slacker seatpost angle which make it a less capable climber. Where the trance X have a very steep seatpost angle for modern geometry. Simple clarification = theres a gap inbetween the Reign and TX where the mullet TX would have its place, geowise.

The purpose of our posts is to mullet a bike to get the best of two worlds, more agile and playful out back but still retain faster rolling over bumps up front.

If we were to buy Reign instead we would not be able to mullet it without making it more slack than it already is. On our trance X the geo should allow it to be converted into a capable mullet bike.

So why not?

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
MiLi wrote:
i rode two years Spec Enduro 29" 2017 in mullet setup. i combined 2017 yoke with flip chip and 2018 link to get correct BB height (around 340mm). bike was blast to ride.

i tried mullet now with Trance X but it was too low. it was around 325mm with 2.4 Minion. Flip Chip alone is not enough. you can try with offset bushing, but you can use only one. i think it will bring additional 3mm.

Hmm, difference in radial measurement between a 27.5" and 29" is only 15mm, and the bike is 335mm in low setting and 345mm in high, that should mean that you only lose less than 5mm bb height when converting to 27.5" rear if u run it in High mode, which should not be very noticeable. If you still ride it in low mode though, would give you around 320-325mm.

the difference is 19mm. (622-584)/2

this week i will get 160mm air shaft. wenn i look at geo chart i think this bike is made for 160mm fork Cool

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
just ask the shop you bought it from?

My LBS is still slammed busy. Isn't an urgent matter for me so figured I'd ask here first before bugging them.

onyxss wrote:
You will get apropriate replacment set at you Giant dealer, it already includes all the bearings needed.

Would this just be the same generic bearings that came with the bike? Was hoping to just get the correct sizes and possibly upgrade to Enduro bearings.

Posted: 16 hours ago Quote
WY228 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
just ask the shop you bought it from?

My LBS is still slammed busy. Isn't an urgent matter for me so figured I'd ask here first before bugging them.

onyxss wrote:
You will get apropriate replacment set at you Giant dealer, it already includes all the bearings needed.

Would this just be the same generic bearings that came with the bike? Was hoping to just get the correct sizes and possibly upgrade to Enduro bearings.

Could you take the bolts out and see what bearings they are?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009733
Mobile Version of Website