Best All-Mountain bike for a 260lb guy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best All-Mountain bike for a 260lb guy?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on my bike search. I grew up riding the whistler bike park and always built and rode pure downhill machines, so while I broke my fair share of gear, it wasn't a huge concern. I've since moved to the San Francisco area and want to keep riding, but the trails here are far from the north shore or whistler in terms of features, and i'll obviously have to start pedalling myself up now Whip .

So here's the question: does anyone have recommendations for complete bikes or specific builds that won't be a total b*tch to ascend, that also won't be a huge risk to do lift laps with in Northstar? My riding will probably be 80% tame/lame single track, 20% park laps.

Couple extra things; I'm 6'6" so I don't have that much weight to lose before anyone suggests it. But I recognize that the majority of the burden of getting up is coming from me and not my bike, so I'm not about to obsess over grams, but I do want something that'll be fairly comfortable for 2K feet of climbing without feeling like a death trap on the descent. Also, I've built up many bikes before so am totally open to doing that again.

I don't know shit about all - mountain builds. Always thought I'd ride DH forever Frown

Posted: Aug 11, 2020 at 3:31 Quote
jdegelde wrote:
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on my bike search. I grew up riding the whistler bike park and always built and rode pure downhill machines, so while I broke my fair share of gear, it wasn't a huge concern. I've since moved to the San Francisco area and want to keep riding, but the trails here are far from the north shore or whistler in terms of features, and i'll obviously have to start pedalling myself up now Whip .

So here's the question: does anyone have recommendations for complete bikes or specific builds that won't be a total b*tch to ascend, that also won't be a huge risk to do lift laps with in Northstar? My riding will probably be 80% tame/lame single track, 20% park laps.

Couple extra things; I'm 6'6" so I don't have that much weight to lose before anyone suggests it. But I recognize that the majority of the burden of getting up is coming from me and not my bike, so I'm not about to obsess over grams, but I do want something that'll be fairly comfortable for 2K feet of climbing without feeling like a death trap on the descent. Also, I've built up many bikes before so am totally open to doing that again.

I don't know shit about all - mountain builds. Always thought I'd ride DH forever Frown

Regarding your size/weight would suggest any modern enduro bike will do exactly what you describe - Giant Reign, Nukeproof Mega, Canyon Strive, Commencal Meta are just some of the suggestion, you cannot miss with any of them. Would stay away from Trail bikes, not so good for park laps, enduro bikes will be more suited to your size/weight.

Posted: Aug 11, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
onyxss wrote:

Regarding your size/weight would suggest any modern enduro bike will do exactly what you describe - Giant Reign, Nukeproof Mega, Canyon Strive, Commencal Meta are just some of the suggestion, you cannot miss with any of them. Would stay away from Trail bikes, not so good for park laps, enduro bikes will be more suited to your size/weight.

Awesome, thanks so much for the recommendations. I definitely feel your point about staying away from the trail bikes. I'll take a look around for the ones you've suggested, maybe see if I can test ride a few. Thanks again for the help!

Posted: Aug 11, 2020 at 12:01 Quote
jdegelde wrote:
onyxss wrote:

Awesome, thanks so much for the recommendations. I definitely feel your point about staying away from the trail bikes. I'll take a look around for the ones you've suggested, maybe see if I can test ride a few. Thanks again for the help!

I think i might have to disagree. If 80% of your riding is trails, why stay away from trail bikes? Some of the heavier duty trail/all mountain/enduro-ish bikes with 140-160 mm of travel seems like something that would be perfect for you.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
I think depending on how hard of a rider you are or how gnarly the terrain is, you would be extremely happy with an Evil. They are not the lightest bikes on the market, but they are built to last, if you look at the headtube of an evil compared to the headtube of any other bike on the market, you will see that the evil's are way more heavy duty. (the headtube being just one example) Specifically the offering or wreckoning would be great options because of the 29 inch wheels and the fact that they wont be too sluggish, especially compar4eed to big enduro bikes. And I'm also from the bay area and my offering is 99% of the time the perfect tool for the job.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
Evils break just like anything else on the market will...just because something looks big and boxy doesn't mean it's strong. Just because a frame is heavy, doesn't mean it's strong. Yeti's aren't the lightest around and they're one of the most crack-happy brands on the mainstream market right now. Scott's carbon frames are quite light, and aren't getting warrantied left and right like the yetis are.

Being a tall, heavy guy...you may want to look into bikes that have size-specific chainstays, steeper seattube angles, and fairly adjustable suspension to take care of that extra weight (short and lighter riders need to worry about this as well! Not every rider is the 5'9 170 lb medium bike rider which most companies design around). Many smaller bike brands don't do much for suspension tuning from size to size, and while modern suspension is fairly adjustable, you're really reaching the outer limits of what the suspension would be designed for in terms of weight. Tire inserts are a relatively recent development which would help you run slightly lower pressures without banging up a set of rims every season, which would help pick up some grip while you're struggling up those tech climbs for the first time Wink

Also of note, many brands have a weight limit for warranty...not that I've seen warranties refused based on rider weight before. For instance, Giant's bikes had a "limit" of 275 lbs.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
Evils break just like anything else on the market will...just because something looks big and boxy doesn't mean it's strong. Just because a frame is heavy, doesn't mean it's strong. Yeti's aren't the lightest around and they're one of the most crack-happy brands on the mainstream market right now. Scott's carbon frames are quite light, and aren't getting warrantied left and right like the yetis are.

Being a tall, heavy guy...you may want to look into bikes that have size-specific chainstays, steeper seattube angles, and fairly adjustable suspension to take care of that extra weight (short and lighter riders need to worry about this as well! Not every rider is the 5'9 170 lb medium bike rider which most companies design around). Many smaller bike brands don't do much for suspension tuning from size to size, and while modern suspension is fairly adjustable, you're really reaching the outer limits of what the suspension would be designed for in terms of weight. Tire inserts are a relatively recent development which would help you run slightly lower pressures without banging up a set of rims every season, which would help pick up some grip while you're struggling up those tech climbs for the first time Wink

Also of note, many brands have a weight limit for warranty...not that I've seen warranties refused based on rider weight before. For instance, Giant's bikes had a "limit" of 275 lbs.

I'm In the same position as the original poster (6'6 and looking for a new trail/enduro bike). Can I ask what you mean by size-specific chainstays? Longer the better I assume?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
juicytits17 wrote:
I'm In the same position as the original poster (6'6 and looking for a new trail/enduro bike). Can I ask what you mean by size-specific chainstays? Longer the better I assume?

Generally speaking within a certain brand, yes - you want the CS length to grow with the size as well to keep you centered on the bike. There will be some brands that naturally have longer-length chainstays as a result of their suspension packaging as well, that may fit you pretty well right off the bat. Personal riding style and terrain will also have something to do with it.

At 6'6, seat tube angle, while quite trendy at the moment, will be important to make sure you're not hung off the back of the bike. Id say that you should demo or test ride everything that's possibly available to you at the moment, since this isn't a great time to be buying a bike anyways.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 2:25 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
juicytits17 wrote:

Generally speaking within a certain brand, yes - you want the CS length to grow with the size as well to keep you centered on the bike. There will be some brands that naturally have longer-length chainstays as a result of their suspension packaging as well, that may fit you pretty well right off the bat. Personal riding style and terrain will also have something to do with it.

At 6'6, seat tube angle, while quite trendy at the moment, will be important to make sure you're not hung off the back of the bike. Id say that you should demo or test ride everything that's possibly available to you at the moment, since this isn't a great time to be buying a bike anyways.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply dude. The Propain Hugene has caught my eye but is sold out at the moment Frown

Might have to hold off buying until next year and stick with my hardtail for now!

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
I’m 245 and ride a RAAW Madonna V2. I was strongly considering a Privateer 161 while shopping for my bike. Maybe that new Privateer trail bike? Commencal has also always been on my radar, they seem to hold up well. My Banshee Prime held up very well too, maybe take a look at those.

Aluminum was baked in for me and I wanted something built to last with longer travel.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
jdegelde wrote:
Hey guys,

I’m 265, 6’ - evil wreckoning large
I run 290psi in the rear shock and have a little over 1000 miles this year. Loads of fun up and down.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
I run that 32mm turbine stem and atlas riser bars. Seems to be working fine & pedal efficiency is great. I have to be in the wrong gear to get pedal bob

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
jdegelde wrote:
Hey guys,

I’d take a look at the 2021 Meta TR 29 or the Meta AM29 if you that extra descending capability.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
jdegelde wrote:
onyxss wrote:

I'm 6' 6", 225 lbs. and I am really liking the XXL YT Jeffsy. I did a lot of comparing due to my size and I think I made the right choice for me. It's my first CF bike, so we'll see how that works out over the long haul, but YT also offers it in aluminum, which may be the right choice for you since you have me by a few lbs. Good news is that the base Jeffsy is only $2,200.00!!! The build isn't all that great at that price point, but riding a capable bike for just over 2K and can upgrade the bits as you destroy them! lol

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007814
Mobile Version of Website