Noisy Sram Code brakes

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
Recently got a bike with a set of sram code r brakes with 200mm centerline rotors. For the life of me I can't get them to stop making noise. I've tried metalic and organic pads, sanded and brake cleaned the rotors and pads, bled the brakes, and they still make noise. Seems of after a long descent if they heat up, it gets better. Any thoughts as what this could be? Help is appreciated!

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
Do any of you have experience on this setup and
know how to remedy the issue?

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
Have you done this (from about 1:15 onwards)?

https://youtu.be/iUV2Eo9ERSk

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
shadow-flier wrote:
Have you done this (from about 1:15 onwards)?

https://youtu.be/iUV2Eo9ERSk

Yes, they're bedded in properly

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
Why are quiet brakes so important to everyone? If they're working who cares?

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
What do you use to clean your bike? I use Simple Green and my Codes have been almost silent, my brother uses dish soap and his Guides sound like a flock of turkeys. Seems like if it gets better after a long decent, something might be burning off that's causing it?

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
mknott9 wrote:
Why are quiet brakes so important to everyone? If they're working who cares?

Cuz' it's a horrible sound.

I love my Code RSC's but I hate when they are squeaky/noisy.

I've always wondered why MTB brakes are so squeaky. Never ever had that experience with dirt or street bike motorcycle disc brakes.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
Just water when washing for the most part, soemtimes car soap. Could it be the cheap rotors?

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 22:10 Quote
Car soaps often have wax in them. Avoid car soaps

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 22:12 Quote
Ive used it on past brakes with no issues, so I think it's safe to rule out the soap

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 22:15 Quote
I have the same setup as you, using sintered metallics and have never had an issue with noise. Its something your doing, an issue in your calipers (sticking pistons perhaps) or you have contaminated the rotors/pads.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
I have found bedding brakes is critical to avoid noise. You need to imagine every time you apply your brakes you are laying more pad compound to the disc. With new barakes i start by never locking them up. Go to the top of a huge hill, and ride down, smoothly applying brake and get them good and hot. Never come to a full stop. That stop leaves a miniscule blob of pad material in one spot on the disc. Build up creates vibration. That lumpy build up can cause howling, squeeling etc. Once noise becomes an issue i sand my discs on fine paper on a piece of glass, clean with 90% alcohol. If my pads get contaminated i hit them with a plumbers torch in vice grips till they smoke, and then smoke less. Big rotors and codes give a weird sqiggling noise untill warmed up. Once hot, they quiet down and by gawd they will throw you off the bike if your tires hook up and you dont modulate. That annoying but mild noise when cold is tolerable for the raw power they give when it matters. Howling or squeeking... Time to clean them up. Bleed never hurts. Effn hassle though.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
Just water when washing for the most part, soemtimes car soap. Could it be the cheap rotors?

Recently changed brakes on my Fuel EX to the SRAM Code RSCs but continued to use the cheap original Shimano rotors. They sounded like a goat and would only stop squealing once they got hot. It drove me crazy so I changed to centerline rotors and the noise is gone.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005287
Mobile Version of Website