Sram Code brakes are no good!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Sram Code brakes are no good!
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Recently got a Giant Reign Advanced Pro, and it came with a set of code brakes with 200mm Centerline rotors. I've heard incredible things about these brakes, and so I was excited to give them a shot... Unfortunately I have to say that they have given me nothing but trouble, and it may be time to go back to tried and true Shimanos XT. Upon getting the bike I made sure to properly bed in the brakes as detailed by Sram, yet on even the first ride I was getting both the "turkey warble" noise, as well as intermittent howling. After cleaning and resurfacing both rotors and pads as well as rebedding, I'm still having this issue. After this, I tried changed pad compound (from metallic to organic) while also swapping out to brand new rotors. At the same time I also made sure to perform a fresh bleed on the brakes. I bedded in the fresh setup, and to my frustration, they are still making noise. as such I think it's time to order a set of Shimano XT M8120's...

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
So do you want to sell them?

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 15:33 Quote
Puntas wrote:
So do you want to sell them?

Yes, I'd be willing to. Hydraulic system is perfectly functional, I just don't have the time to deal with the headache of trying to fix the issues with the pad/rotor interface

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
Have you aligned them (Loosen caliper, squeeze lever, tighten caliper)?

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
Have you aligned them (Loosen caliper, squeeze lever, tighten caliper)?

Yep, multiple times

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
From my experience; SRAM brakes squeak, shimano do not. Even the bottom tier mt200s are deadly silent lol.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
JonDud wrote:
From my experience; SRAM brakes squeak, shimano do not. Even the bottom tier mt200s are deadly silent lol.
Hmm, my tourney tx brakes squeal...
/s everyone they're entry brakes

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
Believe it or not sometimes this is because the pads and disc are too clean. I had the same issue and kept playing around with a set of brakes once, tried everything you did, including brake disc cleaner, pads in the oven, pads sanded, rotors in the oven ect... Had a similar issue on a few brakes, then realised it's because they are too clean. Brakes need the grit off the worn pad suffice to stick around, it's what helps give the abrasion and reduces the squeal, ever heard the expression 'squeaky clean'. That black brake dust near your caliper is your friend. Try wetting them and doing some hard braking, try and get a bit of a residue on there so when it dries they have more bite. Also if you keep the Sram brakes, might aswell get some Trickstuff pads as they are a lot better.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
I love my code r’s on my transition sentinel. Never had a problem...they just work.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Believe it or not sometimes this is because the pads and disc are too clean. I had the same issue and kept playing around with a set of brakes once, tried everything you did, including brake disc cleaner, pads in the oven, pads sanded, rotors in the oven ect... Had a similar issue on a few brakes, then realised it's because they are too clean. Brakes need the grit off the worn pad suffice to stick around, it's what helps give the abrasion and reduces the squeal, ever heard the expression 'squeaky clean'. That black brake dust near your caliper is your friend. Try wetting them and doing some hard braking, try and get a bit of a residue on there so when it dries they have more bite. Also if you keep the Sram brakes, might aswell get some Trickstuff pads as they are a lot better.

^This. The dustier it is the better my brakes work. Old XT's, Saints, and now Codes. The OP got some decent advice in the other thread he started on the same subject:

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=223151

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
Recently got a Giant Reign Advanced Pro, and it came with a set of code brakes with 200mm Centerline rotors. I've heard incredible things about these brakes, and so I was excited to give them a shot... Unfortunately I have to say that they have given me nothing but trouble, and it may be time to go back to tried and true Shimanos XT. Upon getting the bike I made sure to properly bed in the brakes as detailed by Sram, yet on even the first ride I was getting both the "turkey warble" noise, as well as intermittent howling. After cleaning and resurfacing both rotors and pads as well as rebedding, I'm still having this issue. After this, I tried changed pad compound (from metallic to organic) while also swapping out to brand new rotors. At the same time I also made sure to perform a fresh bleed on the brakes. I bedded in the fresh setup, and to my frustration, they are still making noise. as such I think it's time to order a set of Shimano XT M8120's...

I would check what pads you have in there, the organic ones that come on some builds are Garbage

Get a set of sintered and you will be blown away

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
Totally worth making another new thread for

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 20:57 Quote
I'm honestly at the point where I'm probably just going to get a set of Xt's through my work. I've always preferred Shimanos and figured I'd give these a try, but since I can't get them to work right I'm thinking it's time for a set of Shimanos.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 0:45 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
I'm honestly at the point where I'm probably just going to get a set of Xt's through my work. I've always preferred Shimanos and figured I'd give these a try, but since I can't get them to work right I'm thinking it's time for a set of Shimanos.

100% should have just started there. Whatever you heard about sram brakes was wrong.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005739
Mobile Version of Website