Norco Sight 2021 in the house

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 2021 in the house
O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
What is everyone’s experience with fork settings recommended by the Norco setup guide? It kind of seems to me like they’ve toned down the firmness for 2021 compared to 2020 recommendations.

I found the 2020 settings were quite aggressive, where my preferred Lyrik settings lined up Advanced, and Expert, Semi-Pro and Pro were definitely of the firmness that a rider more aggressive rider than me would want. My buddy had similar observations for the 2020 settings for his 36.

I’m now setting up a 2021 Fox 36. I went with the Expert settings from the 2021 Sight C2, and the setup is definitely on the more forgiving side, and I’ve had some pretty hard bottom-outs. Going up to Semi-Pro or Pro, the setup guide recommends an extra token and just one more psi than that recommended for expert. For the 2020 settings, the recommendations for Pro were believable for what a pro rider might actually run, but not so for the 2021 settings.

Could it be that people using the app were over-stating their ability and ending up with settings too firm, so Norco toned it down this year?

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 19:55 Quote
DMal wrote:
What is everyone’s experience with fork settings recommended by the Norco setup guide? It kind of seems to me like they’ve toned down the firmness for 2021 compared to 2020 recommendations.

I found the 2020 settings were quite aggressive, where my preferred Lyrik settings lined up Advanced, and Expert, Semi-Pro and Pro were definitely of the firmness that a rider more aggressive rider than me would want. My buddy had similar observations for the 2020 settings for his 36.

I’m now setting up a 2021 Fox 36. I went with the Expert settings from the 2021 Sight C2, and the setup is definitely on the more forgiving side, and I’ve had some pretty hard bottom-outs. Going up to Semi-Pro or Pro, the setup guide recommends an extra token and just one more psi than that recommended for expert. For the 2020 settings, the recommendations for Pro were believable for what a pro rider might actually run, but not so for the 2021 settings.

Could it be that people using the app were over-stating their ability and ending up with settings too firm, so Norco toned it down this year?

Everybody over-states their ability. especially pinkbike users. The comments on new released bikes is a field day for the self awarded armchair engineers who hardly even ride their bikes lol.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Stralov wrote:
Was it normal riding or after heavy bottom outs?
And did you get the updated version of the bolt the first time or was it the same bolt everytime and did you claim warranty?

photo
Original bolt broken
photo
New bolt, without the new fittings/bushing

Is your friend torquing to spec?

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
Yes he is. I don't know whats wrong there.
Mine is trouble free so far but I ride less agressive than he is.
He is riding hard thats for sure, but no big drops or huge stunts. More like enduro racing.
Currently in Italy where the second bolt broke.
He probably would be better off with a bike like the new range.
But on the other hand I thought a bike like the Sight should be able to handle such riding.

I am impressed and 110% happy with mine and it's perfect for me. But he is unhappy thats for sure.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
photo
photo

How are heavier riders (200lbs/95-97kg) liking the x2? My fork feels really good but the rear im kinda lost, it feels like the rebound is too fast at 10 out from closed (norco advice). it seems to go through everything pretty well but when i get to any jumps it feels lazy and feels like the rear is coming back up too fast

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
Sounds like you need more pressure to stiffen up the back, will give you more of a platform for jumping.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
I don’t know how many clicks of rebound is on the x2 but I’d say don’t be too stuck to the settings and close it a little more. The huck-a-bucks off lips are sketchy.

I’ve honestly felt that the ride aligned settings are good but not perfect. I set up my 2020 a2 up blind and I thought it seemed ok, but then switched to the aligned recommendations and it felt a ton better. I’ve been noticing that the fork is a little stiff though. 36 with the grip 1 and x2 air. I’m gonna drop a psi or 2 and see what happens, I routinely have ~10-15 mm of unused for travel even after a decent flat landing. On the shock side I have considered stiffening it up a psi or 2. It feels really good and never really bottom but seems a little sat down into it’s travel when seated peddling. Rabbit hole stuff.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
@noideamtber sweet collie. We have matching bikes and dogs.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
JimLad wrote:
Sounds like you need more pressure to stiffen up the back, will give you more of a platform for jumping.
that makes it worse, i asked because it feels like the rebound is too fast but wasnt sure how 100% the norco ride system was for heavier riders and the x2.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
nskerb wrote:
@noideamtber sweet collie. We have matching bikes and dogs.

haha, i never noticed untill i put the photo on here she managed to photobomb it.

I Will try slow it down a couple of clicks and see how it feels.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
DMal wrote:

I also noticed that the Ride Aligned Settings have changed slightly on the '21 year model stuff
Im on a 2020 with 36's - 'Performance Elite' spec ie, I put a VVC Grip2 in the Rhythm and on the rear end ive got the '20 X2 which ive also put the 4 way adjusters in..
So as a result I have to use a 2021C SE for my front end Ride Aligned and a '20 AXS Carbon for the rear.

I avoided using the '20 Ride aligned Settings as I found them way too aggressive.. It plowed through anything but bucked off jumps and had no pop at all.
I ended up using the Fox setup instead which was less composed but more balanced.
Last month I thought I'd revisit my settings and found all of my previously stored Ride Aligned config stuff had changed.
They also renamed Offset 1 / 2 to "Rearward" and 'Forward".. no points for guessing what that means.

End result.
Im using almost a perfect average between the Fox recommended settings and 'updated' Ride Aligned configs and its pretty damn close to perfect.

(80kg / 181cm / Advanced 1 / Rearward)

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
DMal wrote:

I also noticed that the Ride Aligned Settings have changed slightly on the '21 year model stuff
Im on a 2020 with 36's - 'Performance Elite' spec ie, I put a VVC Grip2 in the Rhythm and on the rear end ive got the '20 X2 which ive also put the 4 way adjusters in..
So as a result I have to use a 2021C SE for my front end Ride Aligned and a '20 AXS Carbon for the rear.

I avoided using the '20 Ride aligned Settings as I found them way too aggressive.. It plowed through anything but bucked off jumps and had no pop at all.
I ended up using the Fox setup instead which was less composed but more balanced.
Last month I thought I'd revisit my settings and found all of my previously stored Ride Aligned config stuff had changed.
They also renamed Offset 1 / 2 to "Rearward" and 'Forward".. no points for guessing what that means.

End result.
Im using almost a perfect average between the Fox recommended settings and 'updated' Ride Aligned configs and its pretty damn close to perfect.

(80kg / 181cm / Advanced 1 / Rearward)

Just to make sure I understand - your fork is a 2020 36 Rhythm, and you put in a 2021 VVC Grip 2 damper, correct? If that’s the case, you still have the 2020 air spring, so the 2021 Fox 36 Performance Elite or Factory pressures won’t apply. They’ve increased the negative spring volume, so the 2021 36 will run at higher pressures. The 2021 Rhythm is unchanged, so you could check settings for the 2021 A2 to see what they’re now suggesting.

I’m now running 5 psi above the 2021 Professional/Forward settings for the 36 Performance Elite and it feels much better - more supportive but still soft off the top. I still had a very jarring bottom-out when I slammed the front wheel into something, so I’ve now added a second token, which I’ll try next ride. Coincidentally, the Norco pressure is 5 psi lower than what’s recommended by Fox.

It’s just strange that Norco seems to have taken such a different approach with to recommended settings one year to the next. I was pretty stoked with the 2020 settings pretty accurately covering what would be run by riders of varying abilities. That no longer seems to be the case for 2021.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
Im on a custom A2 with lyrik ult and x2. 95kg rider geared up - just came home from a ride.
i played with my shock psi and rebound today and now its feeling good too, using RA as a start point.
probably on the softer side overal with good mid support but it just touched bottom once or twice on the big features but was a soft touch of bottom so it's using all its travel very well now. 277psi, 8 LSR, 11 LSC 4 HSC, 4 HSR.

Lyrik ult is 91 psi, 1 token and 1 click of HSC to give more support on the big hits, fork is solid for where i live.(fork rebound is just so no fork bounce.

happy with my setup now

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
DMal wrote:
Just to make sure I understand - your fork is a 2020 36 Rhythm, and you put in a 2021 VVC Grip 2 damper, correct? If that’s the case, you still have the 2020 air spring, so the 2021 Fox 36 Performance Elite or Factory pressures won’t apply. They’ve increased the negative spring volume, so the 2021 36 will run at higher pressures. The 2021 Rhythm is unchanged, so you could check settings for the 2021 A2 to see what they’re now suggesting

Correct, ‘20 Rhythm with a ‘21 VVC Grip2.
The little Googling I’ve done suggested this combo you should run about 5-8% less than you would in a ‘21 fork, which coincidentally is also 5-8% more than an untouched ‘20 Rhythm or vice versa (I can’t recall offhand…
I’m sitting on about 78psi currently, which is only about 20% sag (by eye) but it will dive pretty deeply if I hit something just the way your described. Mostly okay as I’m a rearward bias rider anyway

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
Im on a custom A2 with lyrik ult and x2. 95kg rider geared up - just came home from a ride.
i played with my shock psi and rebound today and now its feeling good too, using RA as a start point.
probably on the softer side overal with good mid support but it just touched bottom once or twice on the big features but was a soft touch of bottom so it's using all its travel very well now. 277psi, 8 LSR, 11 LSC 4 HSC, 4 HSR.

Lyrik ult is 91 psi, 1 token and 1 click of HSC to give more support on the big hits, fork is solid for where i live.(fork rebound is just so no fork bounce.

happy with my setup now

photo

Nice looking bike you got there (also have a -21 A2 with red Lyrik Ultimate)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015514
Mobile Version of Website