Norco Sight 2021 in the house

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 2021 in the house
Posted: May 24, 2022 at 23:54 Quote
I can't recall the year model, but we had a large pink Sight Ax at the shop with an E2 that was also killed. Interesting to read that so many aluminium Sights are destroying the Fox shocks.
Fox warrantied it no questions asked so I assume it's a known problem. Womp womp.
(Not ragging on Sights as I'm a fan, just relaying another shock death)

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 12:22 Quote
paolocolletti wrote:
I can't recall the year model, but we had a large pink Sight Ax at the shop with an E2 that was also killed. Interesting to read that so many aluminium Sights are destroying the Fox shocks.
Fox warrantied it no questions asked so I assume it's a known problem. Womp womp.
(Not ragging on Sights as I'm a fan, just relaying another shock death)

My 2020 C2 ate the X2 and later on the Ohlin's coil I put on it. I'm not sure if it has to do with such a high leverage rate on such a short stroke, but the Sight, for as awesome as it is in a lot of ways, is a shock destroyer. It also blows through travel way too easily and my ankles paid the price as long as I rode that bike.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
Running my Sight (A1 with a DVO Jade shock at 55 stroke and a Sprindex spring. Personally do think it would benefit from a progressive spring, at least for my riding and the Jade which is a relatively lightly damped shock.

Felt good in the winter with the Sprindex set at 520 spring rate and a decent amount of compression dialed in. It's sits up high in the travel and rides real supple. Only issue is that it does bottom a bit more often than I'd like once the speeds go up and/or the hits get bigger at that spring rate.

I've had it dialed up as high as 550 lb for some higher speed runs on rough terrain and bigger hits. That took care of the bottom out issues but found it lost a lot of the suppleness off the top I gained from the coil over the air setup and it didn't have quite enough sag to track well.

Still experimenting a bit between the two to see if I can hit that sweet spot.

Finally, you might have to mess with your fork settings too if you switch to a coil just to keep things balanced. For me that meant dialing off a little LSC and HSC on the front end. YMMV.

For context, I'm 165lbs geared up, ride reasonably quickly (think mid pack expert level enduro racer in California Enduro Series events) and am lucky to have chunky steep terrain and medium-large jumps nearby.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 17:55 Quote
isilverman wrote:
Running my Sight (A1 with a DVO Jade shock at 55 stroke and a Sprindex spring. Personally do think it would benefit from a progressive spring, at least for my riding and the Jade which is a relatively lightly damped shock.

Felt good in the winter with the Sprindex set at 520 spring rate and a decent amount of compression dialed in. It's sits up high in the travel and rides real supple. Only issue is that it does bottom a bit more often than I'd like once the speeds go up and/or the hits get bigger at that spring rate.

I've had it dialed up as high as 550 lb for some higher speed runs on rough terrain and bigger hits. That took care of the bottom out issues but found it lost a lot of the suppleness off the top I gained from the coil over the air setup and it didn't have quite enough sag to track well.

Finally, you might have to mess with your fork settings too if you switch to a coil just to keep things balanced. For me that meant dialing off a little LSC and HSC on the front end. YMMV.

For context, I'm 165lbs geared up, ride reasonably quickly (think mid pack expert level enduro racer in California Enduro Series events) and am lucky to have chunky steep terrain and medium-large jumps nearby.

The Sprindex spring is progressive in the last 20% of spring travel, according to the Sprindex website. I'm going to try a standard spring and see if I can tell the difference, as I currently run a Sprindex spring as well.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
I ran a cane creek progressive spring before I got the CC link. The progressive spring was noticeably better than the normal spring with the stock link.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 21:53 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
I ran a cane creek progressive spring before I got the CC link. The progressive spring was noticeably better than the normal spring with the stock link.

Did the progressive spring feel good with the stock link or still lacking?
I’d like to give the coil a shot but that link is heavy as f*ck and the aluminum frame I have isn’t a featherweight to begin with. I’m at 36.7lbs with a DD In the rear and a 2020 a2 build.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 4:30 Quote
It felt pretty good with the progressive spring. Still managed to bottom out, but that was the case even with the CC link and a 605 lb spring (I weight 160 pounds).

I think the Sight is better suited for an air shock than coil due to the linear leverage ratio. You just need to find a shock that won’t blow up all the time. The X2 seems to have a poor track record—I’ve had good luck with the Super Deluxe on other bikes, but I never ran it on the Sight.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 17:32 Quote
riggadon wrote:
isilverman wrote:

The Sprindex spring is progressive in the last 20% of spring travel, according to the Sprindex website. I'm going to try a standard spring and see if I can tell the difference, as I currently run a Sprindex spring as well.

Interesting, didn't know they made that claim!

Bike radar took a sprindex to mojo for analysis and found that, like most springs, it didn't measure out the same as it said on the tin, but more interestingly it was actually regressive (they theorized this was due to spring flexing over the plastic limiter dial): https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/rear-shocks/sprindex-adjustable-coil-spring-review/

None of the other, overwhelmingly positive, reviews did any independent testings so hard to say honestly.

In any event, gonna see how I get on with a cane creek 500-610 progressive spring.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
Anyone have a norco range extender?

I’m looking for one if you’d like to pass it along.

Thanks
Jason

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:51 Quote
liske wrote:
Anyone have a norco range extender?

I’m looking for one if you’d like to pass it along.

Thanks
Jason

Can you clarify what a Norco range extender is?

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
isilverman wrote:
riggadon wrote:
isilverman wrote:

Bike radar took a sprindex to mojo for analysis and found that, like most springs, it didn't measure out the same as it said on the tin, but more interestingly it was actually regressive (they theorized this was due to spring flexing over the plastic limiter dial): https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/rear-shocks/sprindex-adjustable-coil-spring-review/

None of the other, overwhelmingly positive, reviews did any independent testings so hard to say honestly.

In any event, gonna see how I get on with a cane creek 500-610 progressive spring.

Interesting, maybe that explains why the sprindex spring doesn't feel very progressive. I'm curious how a true progressive spring compares.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:09 Quote
riggadon wrote:
isilverman wrote:
riggadon wrote:

Interesting, maybe that explains why the sprindex spring doesn't feel very progressive. I'm curious how a true progressive spring compares.

What do you weigh? That 500-610 spring should arrive later this week from lando. I'm 160 in my underwear and have my sprindex set at 535 currently. More than a little concerned it'll end up too light for me and the lighter damping tune on my coil (DVO Jade).

Would be happy to sell it to you for what I paid ($60) if it doesn't work out and you want to give it a go.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:30 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
It felt pretty good with the progressive spring. Still managed to bottom out, but that was the case even with the CC link and a 605 lb spring (I weight 160 pounds).

I think the Sight is better suited for an air shock than coil due to the linear leverage ratio. You just need to find a shock that won’t blow up all the time. The X2 seems to have a poor track record—I’ve had good luck with the Super Deluxe on other bikes, but I never ran it on the Sight.

I've been using the Super Deluxe from when I bought my bike (Dec 19'), haven't had any problems with it. I did get a special tune from Fluid Function (Squamish), great mid stroke and I haven't bottomed it out since.
My buddy bought an A2 last year and blew up his X2 within a month, no problems since it was warrantied though.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 21:45 Quote
isilverman wrote:
riggadon wrote:
isilverman wrote:

What do you weigh? That 500-610 spring should arrive later this week from lando. I'm 160 in my underwear and have my sprindex set at 535 currently. More than a little concerned it'll end up too light for me and the lighter damping tune on my coil (DVO Jade).

Would be happy to sell it to you for what I paid ($60) if it doesn't work out and you want to give it a go.

I'm 210 with gear running a 610-690 sprindex. Currently set at 650. I found 625 to be very usable, but I prefer the sight running higher in it's travel. I don't think a 35lb drop is spring weight will be unusable for you since you can compensate with a bit more preload and compression. I run a super deluxe ultimate coil with the medium compression tune and compression fully out.

I would love to try your progressive but our weights are just too far apart!

Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 12:56 Quote
If anyone is interested in a coil shock for their sight, I'm selling my super deluxe ultimate coil. Sprindex spring also available.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3360906/

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006331
Mobile Version of Website