Norco Sight 2021 in the house

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 2021 in the house
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 0:58 Quote
Does anyone have an issue with water getting into the frame via the hole in underside of the downtube for the cable grommet? My bottom bracket seized up with all the water in there; NZ can be quite a wet place to ride at times.

Any suggestions on how to get a better seal with it? Glue it into place?

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 2:35 Quote
EckNZ wrote:
Does anyone have an issue with water getting into the frame via the hole in underside of the downtube for the cable grommet? My bottom bracket seized up with all the water in there; NZ can be quite a wet place to ride at times.

do you have the carbon model? im going to guess you soak the bike with a regular hose to clean it?

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 6:31 Quote
I've had my Sight since Jan. 2020 and I haven't had any problems with my bottom bracket. I live and ride on the North Shore and rinse my bike off fairly often. I can't imagine you get more rain then that, unless you're from the South Island.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
There is a hole on the underside of the bb shell to help water drain that gets in the bb shell from elsewhere. I was having issues with SRAM DUB bbs seizing after very wet rides, but I a) switched to a better-sealed Wheels Mfg bb and b) started making sure after each ride that the bb shell hole isn’t clogged with dirt. I haven’t had issues since, but it’s hard to know what’s the bb quality vs. keeping the hole clear.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
EckNZ wrote:

do you have the carbon model? im going to guess you soak the bike with a regular hose to clean it?

Yes, the carbon model, and yes, I do use a regular hose for cleaning, not a jet wash. Yes, in the south island too, it can be very wet here at times, not scottish wet, but still wet.

It was fine with the original BB that it came with but changed to Shimano cranks and BB and they seized within a couple of months. I've just purchased a new screw in BB, with "storm drains" (https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/screw-fit-41-mm-bottom-bracket-sf41-monocrome.html) and hoping that will resolve the issue but wanted to see what others experience was.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 0:45 Quote
DMal wrote:
There is a hole on the underside of the bb shell to help water drain that gets in the bb shell from elsewhere. I was having issues with SRAM DUB bbs seizing after very wet rides, but I a) switched to a better-sealed Wheels Mfg bb and b) started making sure after each ride that the bb shell hole isn’t clogged with dirt. I haven’t had issues since, but it’s hard to know what’s the bb quality vs. keeping the hole clear.

I bought the frame second hand, and it appears that the original owner has put the frame protection tape over the hole, and I never thought to check. I've opened it up, so that should hopefully eliminate most of the issues.

Thanks for the help team!

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 1:30 Quote
EckNZ wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
EckNZ wrote:

Yes, the carbon model, and yes, I do use a regular hose for cleaning, not a jet wash. Yes, in the south island too, it can be very wet here at times, not scottish wet, but still wet.

It was fine with the original BB that it came with but changed to Shimano cranks and BB and they seized within a couple of months. I've just purchased a new screw in BB, with "storm drains" (https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/screw-fit-41-mm-bottom-bracket-sf41-monocrome.html) and hoping that will resolve the issue but wanted to see what others experience was.

Ah i believe the Carbon model uses Pressfit over the alloys threaded?
Pressfit are more prone issues as they generally sit lower as compared to threaded they sit outboard and are very well shielded.
for Future reference, A Garden hose will output more than 5 x as much water as a Low pressure washer and despite what the online clowns say, a low pressure washer will not "blast out all the grease" bikes dont have exposed bearings anymore so its a myth and ive always found i have alot of excess water in every part of the bike when ive had to use a garden hose(you are literly Bathing and soaking the bike with a garden hose)

But anyway, good to see you found the problem with the drain hole in the BB shell.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:21 Quote
JimLad wrote:
525 at the moment. It also came with a 550 which is pretty cool. I’m 175 also. The hydraulic bottom out works very well on the shock , never feel the end of the travel

Are you still running the stock 36 160mm fork. Looking at changing out my X2 as i've had numerous issues with it

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
Hey all,

Having issues with the X2 possibly the tech says because its not running fully linear and is allowing air into the damper (i'm not a shock guy so ...) I am interested in the simplicity of the coil but looking for some advice. I've seen info on here regards to size, some have gone with the 185x52.5 and others by 55. I'm also unsure on springs and weight. I'm 205lbs 6ft, is there a place i can easily access spring recommendations. I've also seen progressive v linear springs and then talks of different connections.

Just looking for any input that can help

thanks

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Wont comment to much on this, but go for the longer stroke and a progressive spring.
also consider the cascade link.

Some of the enduro team still chose to use a sight...

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
Yeah, go with 185x55.

I’m getting along well with a coil shock with the stock linkage and a linear spring (550, and I weigh about 170 lbs). I tried a 500-610 Cane Creek progressive spring but prefer how the 550 linear sits higher in its travel yet feels less harsh on consecutive medium-sized bumps.

Here are some good data points for selecting a spring rate: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-comparing-norco-factory-racings-sight-enduro-setups.html

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
Fit a marz bomber CR 55mm shock with a 550-710 cane creek progressive spring. Replaced a X2 that came stock on carbon frame. FTR I weigh 195 with full gear. XL frame.

Much happier overall. Smoother over everything and still plenty supportive.

I have bottomed out once on a janky drop into a bomb hole with a solid clunk. Otherwise haven't hit bottom.

I ended up putting a tiny bit more preload onto the shock to help it ride a bit higher and hit the progressive portion of the spring earlier and haven't had issues since.

If they made a 600-700 spring I'd probably be a bit happier but overall this is a huge improvement in every way.

another coil spring calculator https://s4suspension.com/pages/spring-calculator

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 20:49 Quote
[Quote="andrewlunt"]
JimLad wrote:

Are you still running the stock 36 160mm fork. Looking at changing out my X2 as i've had numerous issues with it

Yep still 160mm fork. Was hoping to be on a range by now but no sign of it

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Most 6 Ft Riders riding a Sz Large Sight? Seems like its right on the border based on the chart, but geo wise should be about right. 205 Lbs (not that it matters for size).

I'm looking to make the switch from my Pivot Switchblade to a geo that is better for some steeper terrain.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
175 cm on a large. Medium felt too small, large works great for me. At 6 ft I'd try an XL before buying a L.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013059
Mobile Version of Website