Shimano SLX 7120 brake lever blade replacement - lever axle stuck

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano SLX 7120 brake lever blade replacement - lever axle stuck
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
Unfortunately snapped the lever off my SLX brakes this morning. Looked at some online guides and videos to remove the brake lever for replacement

1) Remove rubber cover for grub screw
2) Remove grub screw (2mm hex)
3) Lever axle should slide out when pushed

I'm stuck between 2 and 3. Removed the grub screen but axle is not sliding out. The lever also doesn't look the same as some of the guides I've seen online for Shimano's other brakes (XT, XTR). The videos I've seen, people push the axle up to remove it, but from the bottom of the lever (3rd photo), doesn't look like the axle can be pushed through the bottom? Tried to push the axle from both the bottom and the top, and neither way is working so far.

Pictures below, would very much appreciate any tips!

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
I bent my lever crashing the other day too and could also use some direction on replacing the lever blade. I'll let you know what I learn when I try replacing mine. Good luck!

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
Both of my slx lever blades bent as well, seems to be a common feature of the new slx levers.

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
Once the grub screw was out I tapped the lever axle (only the center, that outer bit is not part of the lever axle) out from the bottom. Should be smooth sailing from this point.

Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
Hi CaMKii,

I have the same problem. How did you managed to get the lever out?
Thank you for the response! Smile

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:14 Quote
Just confirming what corinneaurora said, it doesn't come out easily but a light tap with a hammer did the trick. Goes back in much easier, just a bit fiddly with the spring and alignment.

Posted: 1 hours ago Quote
I have recently done the same thing but i am unable to find a spare lever or lever blade.
My thought is that the blade is the same.
so could i buy a right hand lever and just take the blade off ?
would that work ?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004676
Mobile Version of Website