Upgrade disc brakes for heavy rider

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Upgrade disc brakes for heavy rider
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
I am a 270lb rider. I have a GT Pantera sport that came with tektro 2 pot mechanical disc brakes. I find the brakes super weak for me. I've adjusted them to their limit and I still find them very weak. I've been looking at some Shimano 2 pot hydraulic disc brakes, would this be a significant upgrade or should I also look into bigger discs.

While I'm here I might as well mention that I'm also looking for a dropper post that would be acceptable for a 270lb rider. My weight is going down not up

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 22:53 Quote
Any hydraulic 2 pot brakes will be better than cable operated brakes but won't be a significant upgrade from the Tektro brakes.

To get the best braking power you would be better off looking at both brakes and rotor upgrades.

SLX M7000 have slightly bigger pads and servo wave levers compared to entry level brakes which will give you more power along with 200mm/203mm rotor up front and 180mm on the rear may be enough for your needs.

If you want ultimate braking power have a look at 4 pot brakes.

As for a dropper post take a look at the RockShox Reverb MMX with max recommended rider weight of 125kg/275lbs.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 14:02 Quote
I am also 270+ I have been running m515 shimano brakes with metal pads for a long time they work well with my weight and the hills we have in colorado. One thing I will watch out for is maximum rotor size for your frame and fork don't exceed max size other than that you will be fine.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
Thanks for the responses. @reaperactual I have definitely considered 4 pot disc brakes. I'm just trying to keep the budget somewhat low. I may just decide to spend more money rather than have to do it again later if I'm not happy.

@Cspringsrider I will also look into those brakes. Thank you

Posted: Aug 26, 2020 at 16:17 Quote
No worries I have had them 3years now no issues just new pads and a bleed 1 time. For heavy riders I find the cheap shimano brakes that have no modulation work better because they have power to stop you and consistent and reliable lever feel and power.

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
I've been running SLX brakes 203mm rotors up front, 180mm on rear also with metal pads for around a year now. Got them for a great bargain price on sale.

Power is slightly better but not that much compared to my old M395's. The SLX have worked well but the lever feel and lever travel is not as good or as reliable as my old entry level brakes.

I agree with Cspringsrider and I'm considering going back to some more basic brakes after I recently had a go of my Buddy's MT500's which felt more solid, had excellent and consistent bite with minimum lever travel. 2 cents

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 0:53 Quote
BigHerk wrote:
Thanks for the responses. @reaperactual I have definitely considered 4 pot disc brakes. I'm just trying to keep the budget somewhat low. I may just decide to spend more money rather than have to do it again later if I'm not happy.

@Cspringsrider I will also look into those brakes. Thank you
Shimano MT420 or M6120 are the cheapest 4-pot brakes from shimano. They work well, you put maximum allowed size rotors, metalic pads and they will stop you for sure

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
I’m fat as hell around 260 running XT M8000s with 200 front 180 rear discs. Got em on the cheap, take a look at these I recommend. Even though they are 2 pistons they work great.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
Thank you for all the info. My bike apparently accepts up to 180mm rotors. The options I am looking at right now are all Shimano

BR-MT420 $189.95
Deore BR-M6120 $259.95
SLX BR-M7120 $319.95 - bit more than I wanna spend

I do like that the SLX has the adjustable reach knob on the lever.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
Generally across the entire range of Shimano brakes as you look at the higher end models there are those extra touches like the reach knob. I agree they look cool although for me they are purely aesthetic in the end because I set reach up once and have rarely touched them since.

Pad retaining bolts rather than split pins are also a nice touch but aesthetic again.

One good and practical point is higher level brakes are pre fitted with caliper bleed nipples, otherwise these or bleed adaptors would would likely be needed to be bought at some point for future full bleeds.

You can get higher level brakes very cheap on sale etc. if you are patient and shop around. My SLX M7000's were a bargain on C.R.C. (bought separately) simply because they were set up to a non U.K. standard and all I needed to do was swap the hoses around. After necessary bleed kit/hose fittings my set worked out around just over half the listed price so worth weighing up these kind of cost saving options if you find something similar.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Generally across the entire range of Shimano brakes as you look at the higher end models there are those extra touches like the reach knob. I agree they look cool although for me they are purely aesthetic in the end because I set reach up once and have rarely touched them since.

Pad retaining bolts rather than split pins are also a nice touch but aesthetic again.

One good and practical point is higher level brakes are pre fitted with caliper bleed nipples, otherwise these or bleed adaptors would would likely be needed to be bought at some point for future full bleeds.

You can get higher level brakes very cheap on sale etc. if you are patient and shop around. My SLX M7000's were a bargain on C.R.C. (bought separately) simply because they were set up to a non U.K. standard and all I needed to do was swap the hoses around. After necessary bleed kit/hose fittings my set worked out around just over half the listed price so worth weighing up these kind of cost saving options if you find something similar.

You brought up some really good points that I never considered. I'm still very new. This is my first bike in 20 years. Having the pad retaining bolts and bleed nipples would be a very good option to have. The lever reach knob isn't such a big deal but nice to have. Personally after reading your comment I think I'll be searching for higher end brakes such as the 7120's. Living in Canada I find my options are limited and are usually far more expensive than say the US or UK but I will keep my eyes open for sales. Thank you

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
Your welcome BigHerk. Worth holding out for the ones you really want. Good luck in getting what you're looking for Pal. Wink

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
So narrowed down my search to the Shimano SLX M7120 or the tektro orion HD-M745. Both are hydro 4 pot F/R. Shimano is $400 and tektro is $250. I also came across tektro HD-M735 4 pot front and 2 pot rear for $225.what are your thoughts on those

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
Hi again BigHerk. Fwiw I've recently upgraded my calipers to M7100 (2 pot) f+r and happy with them. Did want a 4 pot M7120 for the front only as I believe it would be a great set up and fulfil power requirements.

Sorry Big Herk but can't comment on the Tektro M745 or M735's except I owned an entry level M290 set which were equal to their couterpart entry level Shimano brakes in every aspect.

Based only on what I read briefly the Tektro's are cheaper than Shimano's for a reason and not very good overall? Hopefully someone else can give you a much better viewpoint and comparison between your Tektro/Shimano options.

Re reading this thread I can say a 203mm front (ideally) and 180mm rear rotor along with a Shimano 4 pot front and 2 pot rear would get my vote, all things considered with limited knowledge of your Tektro options.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
Thank you again Reaperactual

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008821
Mobile Version of Website