2020 Enduro cracked frame - my warranty diary

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Enduro cracked frame - my warranty diary
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
Starting a thread to document the warranty process for my cracked frame. Crack has developed at the roof of the shock tunnel similar to others. I filed a claim online with Specialized on 8/18 but so far its crickets. My LBS asked that I take the lead on warranty since the actual purchase was made online (shipped to them to assemble via Specialized's click and collect program). I figure the trifecta of pandemic, hot bike industry, and wildfires isn't speeding things up any. I totally get it, but still wanted to document the steps as I go through them in case its useful for others down the line.

Edit: I love this bike... forgot to mention that in my neck deep in self pity post Smile

Note: this is not an impact crack. A rock getting wedged in here would have scratched up the shock reservoir.

Here are some links to other folks who've got the same crack on their 2020 Enduro's:

https://youtu.be/g0up73E-KQw

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2020-enduro-thread-try-2-a-1109031-2.html

Admittedly I'm a Clydesdale (6'4" 225lbs) trying to do Antelope things. YMMV

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
When are they going to recall these frames. You ride this bike the way its meant to be and its going to crack.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
Dankerider wrote:
When are they going to recall these frames. You ride this bike the way its meant to be and its going to crack.

There are 6 of us at my local spot on Enduros and 3 have cracked. 2 were chainstays mine’s the only main triangle so far.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 0:42 Quote
Those 3 not cracked are ridden softer or..?
Im looking for the reason, as Vancan enduro cracked also quickly, but the replaced one holds really long without any issues. Maybe faulty production series?

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
lkuzba wrote:
Those 3 not cracked are ridden softer or..?
Im looking for the reason, as Vancan enduro cracked also quickly, but the replaced one holds really long without any issues. Maybe faulty production series?

Ha! No, all those guys shred. Plenty of these bikes out there holding up fine.

I think it’s mostly that the demographic who wants this bike is beating them harder than any non-DH bike has been beaten before. The bike literally makes you faster so folks are probably pushing their own limits right out of the gate. Combine that with some tolerance issues and things will break.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 0:53 Quote
Well, 3 weeks in and still zero response. I’ve filled out the online form (twice actually), emailed ridercare@specialized.com, and waited on hold multiple times only to get cut off and directed to the website.

To put this in contrast, I had an issue with my i9 hydra rear hub last week and their service guy responded to my emails in real time and sent out $300 in replacement parts on the spot, for free, with expedited shipping.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Your retailer is wrong here. Specialized requires that bike warranties take place through a retailer and not direct with the customer. It has to run through a shop. Once Specialized does get back to you, they will tell you to go through a dealer...

Even though you bought it online, your retailer still made margin on the sale. They should be supporting you on warranty.

Blownoutrides wrote:
Starting a thread to document the warranty process for my cracked frame. Crack has developed at the roof of the shock tunnel similar to others. I filed a claim online with Specialized on 8/18 but so far its crickets. My LBS asked that I take the lead on warranty since the actual purchase was made online (shipped to them to assemble via Specialized's click and collect program). I figure the trifecta of pandemic, hot bike industry, and wildfires isn't speeding things up any. I totally get it, but still wanted to document the steps as I go through them in case its useful for others down the line.

Note: this is not an impact crack. A rock getting wedged in here would have scratched up the shock reservoir.

Here are some links to other folks who've got the same crack on their 2020 Enduro's:

https://youtu.be/g0up73E-KQw

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2020-enduro-thread-try-2-a-1109031-2.html

Admittedly I'm a Clydesdale (6'4" 225lbs) trying to do Antelope things. YMMV

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 21:57 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
Your retailer is wrong here. Specialized requires that bike warranties take place through a retailer and not direct with the customer. It has to run through a shop. Once Specialized does get back to you, they will tell you to go through a dealer...

Even though you bought it online, your retailer still made margin on the sale. They should be supporting you on warranty.

I agree with you.

Small shop, super nice guy(s), but they were super slammed when I hit them up with the warranty question. They suggested I might try myself since purchase was made online, but clearly not a lot of traction there. Shop is tackling the warranty as of yesterday, so hopefully some movement from Spec - or at least acknowledgment - coming soon.

To be fair, Spec website does indeed direct customers to file warranty themselves via ridercare for all “purchases” made online. Technically I made the purchase online, so if we’re being pedantic I would technically be responsible for navigating the warranty process on my lonesome. (which clearly isn’t working).

I guess that’s a big reason why I started this thread - the “click & collect” approach doesn’t make it clear how the customer goes about issues like this. The warranty and shop relationship is a major advantage vs. direct to consumer, so if those things don’t hold then it raises some big questions about the model.

Anyway, I’m still cutting lots of slack for all involved - these are rough times.

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
Fair point. That is confusing language!

I'd expect it goes much quicker now. Hope you hear soon.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
Two months after finding the crack and starting the process, the shop finally heard back from Specialized. They are going to replace the frame, but they first came back with "looks like impact damage, we'll give you 50% off a new frame". I sent the links to the other folks online who've got the same crack, and Specialized quickly reversed and offered the full warranty replacement.

Sounds like it'll be the S-Works raspberry color and should arrive sometime next month. They said black is a year out, so I'll take what I can get.

More updates when it actually arrives.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009640
Mobile Version of Website