Scout or Sentinel?

PB Forum :: Transition
Scout or Sentinel?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
It's bike buying decision time and I'm leaning towards the Scout.

In your opinion, what would the difference in ride be between the Scout with 150mm rear and 160mm front vs. the Sentinel?

Also, if I'm not planning on riding bike park with this bike, should I get the Scout over the Sentinel? I love the playfulness and agility of the Scout, but will I still be able to ride burly lines?

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 17:14 Quote
Depends on what you ride. If you are pounding through rock fields, slashing through root nests and plowing over bolder piles ....get the Sentinel. If you trails are loamy ,well groomed and you see little girls riding pink bikes on the trail..... get the scout...Wink

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
The Scout isn't that small of a bike is it? It'll still be able to handle some burly lines.
I want to be able to ride almost anything, but I don't love the uphill, so I want something that climbs well.
I currently have a transition covert, and I love how easily I can flick it around on the trail, and it can handle everything I throw at it. So I'm looking for a similar bike.
The sentinel would be fun, but I'm worried it'll be too dead feeling or sluggish in tight stuff.
Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
IMO , 29er’s are faster. If you want fast with fewer dabs in tech.... go sentinel. The scout is more playful, of that there is no question. I have a buddy that says the trails you ride should be the deciding factor on bike choice. I have always looked at what the people in my group rides ride.... what are the guys in front ride, what are the guys in the rear ride? With my groups, the guys on the 29 inch wheel bikes lead and that’s where I like to ride. My last bike was a 27.5, I picked up the Sentinel and then PR-ed every Strava ride after the bike change. Hope that helps....

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
I've had a 2016 Patrol, similar to the new Scout, a 2019 Smuggler, and now the new Sentinel, for reference.

If you like your Covert, I'd say go with the Scout. The Sentinel is a big bike, but at 6'1 I find it plenty playful for the way I ride, but I'm kind of a pick a straight line through a horrible rock section and commit type.

I really think body dimensions and trail conditions should determine wheel size. Honestly, I don't notice the wheelsize difference between 27.5 and 29 as much as I notice the geometry difference. Being fairly tall, I just feel more comfortable and in control on a 29er.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007944
Mobile Version of Website