Silent Hubs

| Next Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
Total internal failure or just really loud creaking? I purchased a set of stock XT8120 wheels. They came with absolutely zero grease internally. The new service bulletin calls for greasing the hell out of the "finger/spacer" part. Apparently it cures the problem.

I've also heard of people just exploding the spacer with fingers on it.

I really like these hubs and how silent they are but failures like I've been reading about are frightening.

mudcycles wrote:
Fabris wrote:
PSA: The Shimano XT M8110 is very reasonable priced and quiet. You can hear it on a bench- but on the trail even at low speed it will be virtually silent.

Also noteworthy- its much louder before installing the cassette. The cassette seems to preload the freehub body in such a way that it becomes MUCH quieter.

Sadly at my shop we are no longer recommending the XT hubs as the failure rate is way too high.
About 40% of them have failed within 4 months from new, both ones coming on new bikes as stock and ones we've build up in wheels for customers wanting to go 12spd.
There's a stupid underbuilt plastic spacer in the freehub that can't handle the workload when someone pedals hard.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
thesergeant wrote:
Total internal failure or just really loud creaking? I purchased a set of stock XT8120 wheels. They came with absolutely zero grease internally. The new service bulletin calls for greasing the hell out of the "finger/spacer" part. Apparently it cures the problem.

I've also heard of people just exploding the spacer with fingers on it.

I really like these hubs and how silent they are but failures like I've been reading about are frightening.

Bit of both.

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
mudcycles wrote:
Sadly at my shop we are no longer recommending the XT hubs as the failure rate is way too high.
About 40% of them have failed within 4 months from new, both ones coming on new bikes as stock and ones we've build up in wheels for customers wanting to go 12spd.
There's a stupid underbuilt plastic spacer in the freehub that can't handle the workload when someone pedals hard.

Hi! Do you happen to know whether the same problem can be attributed to XTR hubs as well or they are more or less fine?

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 4:13 Quote
We've been using XT hubs for awhile now and no issues if you service them.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
endoplasmicreticulum wrote:
Hey Pinkbikers, I am looking for a silent 12*148 hub, that doesnt break the bank.
Any ideas?
So far I have only found the Onyx hub and some other US manufacturers website that looks like it was made by their apprentice 20 years ago, but I am not going to spend 500 bucks on a stupid hub.

Man, why are you so salty?

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 18:25 Quote
The 12 speed Deore XT is silent, I had to re-lube this white plastic ring inside the hub because it started making a horrible sound when pedaling...a little grease solved the problem and they are completely silent once you're rolling. A lot of people have this problem but once you lube that plastic piece it's been maintenance free

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
Fabris wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Honestly my Chris King hubs are pretty much silent. I opened the rear hub up and through some extra oil in there and it’s virtually silent in slow speed and when you really get going you start hearing just a small hint of buzz. Super happy with the silence coming from E13 hubs

Are your hubs E13 or Chris King? You started the post calling them Chris King, but ended it saying you were happy with the E13 hubs...

Careful man. They way a King hub works if it is quiet it is probably not retracting fully and you risk destroying the driveshell.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006762
Mobile Version of Website