Ride Wrap...worth it?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Ride Wrap...worth it?
| Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
Can anyone (or RideWrap preferably) comment on installing Invisiframe over RideWrap? I have a RideWrap kit with a one-of-a-kind custom design on it that I would like to protect. I already have the Invisiframe kit (not yet installed) but will be coming into possession of the custom RideWrap kit shortly.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
gling wrote:
Can anyone (or RideWrap preferably) comment on installing Invisiframe over RideWrap? I have a RideWrap kit with a one-of-a-kind custom design on it that I would like to protect. I already have the Invisiframe kit (not yet installed) but will be coming into possession of the custom RideWrap kit shortly.

So you are going to install Ridewrap kit, then put a invisiframe kit over the top of it to protect the other protection kit?

This will look terrible, these kits not not cut even remotely similar, lines will not match up and there will be severe bubbling where seams overlap.
Hopefully I just misunderstood the question.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
gling wrote:

So you are going to install Ridewrap kit, then put a invisiframe kit over the top of it to protect the other protection kit?

This will look terrible, these kits not not cut even remotely similar, lines will not match up and there will be severe bubbling where seams overlap.

Nope, you did not misunderstand me. I do however appreciate your input working with both wraps and from what you've shared, it does seem like a terrible idea. The only saving grace is that the design of the RW wrap is "noisy" so it would hide any bubbles unless you are peering up close.

Speaking of which, I had not considered the bubbles (open voids rather) at the edges of where these two wraps would meet that will very likely result in water and dirt ingress prematurely ruining the topical IF wrap.

Thanks for your insight and it looks like I will list the IF wrap for sale and just go with the RW wrap. I will spill a beer the day I mess up the custom wrap but oh well, the adventures with the bike will quickly make up for it Smile

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 17:04 Quote
gling wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
gling wrote:

Nope, you did not misunderstand me. I do however appreciate your input working with both wraps and from what you've shared, it does seem like a terrible idea. The only saving grace is that the design of the RW wrap is "noisy" so it would hide any bubbles unless you are peering up close.

Speaking of which, I had not considered the bubbles (open voids rather) at the edges of where these two wraps would meet that will very likely result in water and dirt ingress prematurely ruining the topical IF wrap.

Thanks for your insight and it looks like I will list the IF wrap for sale and just go with the RW wrap. I will spill a beer the day I mess up the custom wrap but oh well, the adventures with the bike will quickly make up for it Smile

I mean, if you really wanted to, you could get some 3m tape and put it over the ride wrap. I personally have no idea why you’d want to, but you could. (If you do, maybe try with a small piece of 3m tape to see how it goes)

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 17:15 Quote
The material is very durable on both kits, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Throw a picture of your kit up once it’s done.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
Installed Invisaframe today on my new 2020 Ibis RipmoAF (Grey).

Outstanding product with excellent instructions! Not for the hyperactive or rushy types. Slow it down, put in a your ear buds with your favourite podcast (JRE, Bitcoin Standard, Andrew Huberman, Lex Friedman, All-In, PB, etc) and 6hrs later you will be impressed with your efforts.

Wear Nitrile gloves. Place bike in maintenance stand. I elected to keep both wheels integrated. No interference issues or install challenges. EasyDay.

Use a plastic spray bottle of 50/50 IPA/H2O to clean-as-you-go each section of the frame right BEFORE you apply the protective film piece. Use another plastic spray bottle with Water and Dish Soap to spray the frame section….after IPA/H20…..and the mastic side of each film piece AFTER removing from the master sheet.

Also installed a Kona protective sleeve on the lower down tube section. Magic.

My first protective film install on my first enduro rig. She came out mint.

#ripmoAF
#arclightironworks
#architecturalmetalfurniture
#tigassassinunit

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 1:10 Quote
The only way it's going to look nice is if the top layer is slightly smaller than the bottom layer, and you apply it very precisely so the edge of the top layer does not cross the edge of the bottom layer.

Or you could apply the top layer onto the bottom layer beforehand, cut out the shape together, and then put both on the bike at once. But two layers are less pliable than one so it will be harder to use it on frame parts with complex shapes. You could use a hair dryer or hot water to warm up the film and make it more pliable.

I always cut out the shapes from rolls of clear polyurethane (pu) bra myself. But this stuff is hard to find because it's generally sold as pre-cut shapes to car detailing shops, and on amazon/ebay there are lots of fakes. They sell 3m vinyl films for signs (with red 3m logo's on the backside) as 3M Scotchguard Pro, which has no logo's.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
Ordered and installed Ridewrap for an Intense Carbine 29. To install, first meditate, send away all distractions. It is not for the weary or agitated.
From this experience, note:
Use rubbing alcohol to clean all surfaces you plan to attach wrap. Get a clear idea of how each section is going to go on, think it through and MAKE SURE you dont apply the wrap section backwards (especially the symmetrical ones). You can peel them off and reapply, but they really dont want to come off once initially on.
I didn't have to remove the brake, lines, or rear triangle, but without a doubt you'll need to remove both wheels before application.
The included application solution can be sprayed using a big spray bottle, but I think a small spritzer spray bottle makes way less mess, and is probably cheaper to get, but of course you'll probably need to keep refilling.
From experience, there's not really too much spray for applying; completely wet the section, BOTH sides, AS WELL as the frame. Use reference points of frame to center the section, using latex gloves that are also wet with applicator solution start working the bubbles/moisture out from centerline of piece.
The wrap sections soften up with solution, but won't tear or anything. Because of the elasticity and design tolerances, dont stretch the section at all, or you'll be 'for shaming' yourself and having to reset the section.
Every time you reset the section, definitely RE-spray all the surfaces (frame, and both sides of section). When peeling back a section already applied, you may probably need to spray solution into/under adhered section edge to get it to free up. If a section accidentally folds onto itself, again use spray and suitable tools ((eg-an acute tipped non-serated steak knife). In either case, don't over force separation, or it will stretch out of design tolerances. Slowly use the knife to gently pry them apart.
If useful, have someone reliable help center the section and keep everything wet with solution while you squeegie any bubbles. To have not enough spray is a facepalm; again, there's no such thing as too much.
I found the one dinky cleanup towel included in kit is inadequate; having your own (clean) microfiber towels is useful. When you squeegie the bubbles, tightly wrap the squeegee card in a microfiber towel, wet the contact edge of the towel/card, and run it that way. This helps the squegie run worlds smoother and therefore you can use more force to get rid of the bubbles/moisture, and you don't risk deforming the section surface.
Have a somewhat dry microfiber towel ready to sheer away moisture that exudes from section edges. When your stoked and ready to seal the deal, use a hair dryer (NOT a heat gun) to run from center towards edges, and then the edges again to get it to dry/stay). Dont overdo it.
Despite the exquisite fit of the templates, there are sections of your bike that you'll surely want to use the extra template sections/material to cover /reinforce. If you successfully covered your bike, you'll have no problem with this follow up phase.
All kinds of people are quoting 3 or so hours. That's horseshit: count on days for first timers.
It is such an ordeal that if successful, you'll be super stoked like you aced an SAT. Before riding, wait a day for curing, or pedal gently on way to pick up a nice cold one.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
In the shower you can create a dust free environment by letting the hot shower runfor a minute. Dust particles will stick to the steam droplets. It may be hard to explain to others why you're in the shower with your new frame though.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006535
Mobile Version of Website