YT = Swindler ?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
YT = Swindler ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
Hello,

I would like to share with you my bad experience and avoid some people doing this mistake (buy a YT).

I bought a YT CF Pro Race in february 2019.
I noticed a play in the linkage whereas all bolts where correctly tighten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF4rv7zpgCQ

I had to send the frame to YT. It has been very very long. I missed 1 week of riding due to this one and they made a mistake in the address to send the frame.
When I received it, I noticed there was now a big gap in the low axle ! There is 1 cm of the axle wich exceed !
There is too much flex and bearing is directly in contact with mud

photo

In January, I check the frame and noticed a crack on the bottom of the front triangle.
YT change the front triangle but when they send me back the frame, I noticed paint chip near the headset (they mounted on the new triangle). There was also paints drips near the upper axle of the rear shock.

Due to containment I start to ride with the new front triangle in july. I noticed that paint was started to chip on the right and left side.
I sent an email to YT which said me that there is no warranty on the paint !!! The front triangle has 9 months and ride 10 days.

photo
photo
photo

Please don't do the same mistake that me : don't buy a Madoff industrie ... sorry a YT industrie !

Cheers
Simon

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
YT quality control sucks. The fact that if your bike goes down you can’t get a warranty part for months does not help. I have missed the season waiting on a cracked chain stay for my Capra AL. Last YT for me

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I’ve had nothing but excellent experiences with mine. I’ve got 3 Jeffsy’s now and all 3 have been rock solid. Not a single issue since 2017

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
Good to hear. My Capra has a known problem with the chain stays (YT user forum) that should be recalled CPSC. Canyon and other reputable brands recalled the same problem. YT just hides. So tired of the “YT family” BS when they don’t care about rider safety. Profit over family I guess? I just want my bike fixed so I can sell it

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
I would ship that bike back in a box and have it insured. Tell them to keep it and send a new one or another frame swap out. Don’t stand for that,

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
[Quote="Killingtonracer". So tired of the “YT family” BS when they don’t care about rider safety. Profit over family I guess? I just want my bike fixed so I can sell it[/Quote]

I have exactly the same feeling !
They should invest on reliability of their product more than communication. The gap between "intensive communication" and poor quality product is ridiculous.
Mayebe it is the Madoff family !

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
Killingtonracer wrote:
My Capra has a known problem with the chain stays (YT user forum) that should be recalled CPSC.
Is this issue just known to happen on Capras or does happen on the Jeffsys as well? I cracked my Jeffsy around the left rear chainstay weld, and was wondering if this is just a freak accident or if there is an issue with the MK2 AL Jeffsys.
2020 Jeffsy Base took it off a 10 or so foot drop and I guess it just cracked. The dang bike has lasted me only five months

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
this is common in aluminium welding.
you can get cracks in the heat affected zone.
i got a crack in a canyon in HAZ.
it can happen on any bike. there is no NDT procedure to detect (predict) it.
its down to welder 'on the day'... and you can be unlucky. if it happens it happens 6mth to 3 years after manuf.

i was quality manager for a 1.5bn project and was able to ask 'a few professionals'
(weld inspectors).

comparing carbon and alu cracks is talking nonsense. the material properties and joining methods are not equivalent. do not mix the two.

yeah i thought alu was more reliable than carbon when i bought it.... live and learn...
speaking of which i am sure a metallurgist who reads this will augment this....i will not argue.

Quote="FloridaHasMTBToo"]
Killingtonracer wrote:
My Capra has a known problem with the chain stays (YT user forum) that should be recalled CPSC.
Is this issue just known to happen on Capras or does happen on the Jeffsys as well? I cracked my Jeffsy around the left rear chainstay weld, and was wondering if this is just a freak accident or if there is an issue with the MK2 AL Jeffsys.
2020 Jeffsy Base took it off a 10 or so foot drop and I guess it just cracked. The dang bike has lasted me only five months
[/Quote]

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 17:15 Quote
simon03 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to share with you my bad experience and avoid some people doing this mistake (buy a YT).

I bought a YT CF Pro Race in february 2019.
I noticed a play in the linkage whereas all bolts where correctly tighten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF4rv7zpgCQ

I had to send the frame to YT. It has been very very long. I missed 1 week of riding due to this one and they made a mistake in the address to send the frame.
When I received it, I noticed there was now a big gap in the low axle ! There is 1 cm of the axle wich exceed !
There is too much flex and bearing is directly in contact with mud

photo

In January, I check the frame and noticed a crack on the bottom of the front triangle.
YT change the front triangle but when they send me back the frame, I noticed paint chip near the headset (they mounted on the new triangle). There was also paints drips near the upper axle of the rear shock.

Due to containment I start to ride with the new front triangle in july. I noticed that paint was started to chip on the right and left side.
I sent an email to YT which said me that there is no warranty on the paint !!! The front triangle has 9 months and ride 10 days.

photo
photo
photo

Please don't do the same mistake that me : don't buy a Madoff industrie ... sorry a YT industrie !

Cheers
Simon
Wow. Personnellement, je n'ai rien que de bonne chose à dire de YT. Ici aux US, leurs services clientèle sont pas mal. Mais bon, ça c'est ma expérience avec eux.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
I used to ride a 2017 Jeffsy. I never had any issues with it, but as the years have gone on, I've started to notice value and QC take a quick drop. My jeffsy came with an x01/gx groupset, guide rs brakes, and pike rc. Overall for the 3k I spent it was a great spec. Now the fact that 3k is an nx groupo and rhythm fork. Hefty no thank you. Sorry about those issues you've had man

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
notnew wrote:
this is common in aluminium welding.
you can get cracks in the heat affected zone.
i got a crack in a canyon in HAZ.
it can happen on any bike. there is no NDT procedure to detect (predict) it.
its down to welder 'on the day'... and you can be unlucky. if it happens it happens 6mth to 3 years after manuf.

i was quality manager for a 1.5bn project and was able to ask 'a few professionals'
(weld inspectors).

comparing carbon and alu cracks is talking nonsense. the material properties and joining methods are not equivalent. do not mix the two.

yeah i thought alu was more reliable than carbon when i bought it.... live and learn...
speaking of which i am sure a metallurgist who reads this will augment this....i will not argue.

Quote="FloridaHasMTBToo"]
Killingtonracer wrote:
[/Quote]

It doesn't happen on all bikes, and you expose the weakness of your opinion in your own post by saying it "comes down to the welder of the day".

It comes down to good manufacturing process and quality control. Aluminum bikes can be strong and reliable, but if the company rushes manufacturing, lacks QC,overheats it, the frame is going to be more likely to crack.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
you misread.
i didnt say it happens on all bikes. i said it can happen on any bike.
i said i asked experts.
no i wasnt going to go into WPS adherence given 'the audience'. yes you are correct about that. but if welder 'on the day' does not follow the procedure, the weld can crack later.

it would be constructive to the discussion if you (or a metallurgist, as invited) knew of an Ndt that could detect the issue (i.e given no porosity), since the experts i consulted did not know of one.

have a nice day

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 15:19 Quote
mattandhisbike wrote:
I used to ride a 2017 Jeffsy. I never had any issues with it, but as the years have gone on, I've started to notice value and QC take a quick drop. My jeffsy came with an x01/gx groupset, guide rs brakes, and pike rc. Overall for the 3k I spent it was a great spec. Now the fact that 3k is an nx groupo and rhythm fork. Hefty no thank you. Sorry about those issues you've had man

YT value vs big brands is still a gap. But you are right, it is quickly closing. Even their special editions used to be smoking deals ($3500 for Fox Factory parts and XTR), now it's down to GX and still really good suspension, for $4k.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
mattandhisbike wrote:

YT value vs big brands is still a gap. But you are right, it is quickly closing. Even their special editions used to be smoking deals ($3500 for Fox Factory parts and XTR), now it's down to GX and still really good suspension, for $4k.

True, but the Pro-race builds, there’s no big brand bike you can get for anywhere near that spec for price.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
photo

Second time I cracked this frame, except this time I cracked it around the bash guard. I don't know how it cracked here, as there are no welds. What this picture doesn't show is the identical crack on the driveside which extends close to the middle of the frame. I'm honestly pretty pissed with the frame quality at this point, but I am just glad to have made it out of my last ride with a complete frame.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015754
Mobile Version of Website