Shorter dude wants to move up from a hardtail. Looking for input.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Shorter dude wants to move up from a hardtail. Looking for input.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
Older, 5'5 dude here. Just got back into riding in the woods again 3 years ago. I picked up a new 2017 S-Fuse Pro 6Fattie. I've been riding this bike for 3 years now and absolutely love the Plus tires on this bike.

I live in the North East. Our trails are boney... and if not boney... rooty...usually both... Anyways, I think I am at the point where I want to start hitting these trails on a full suspension bike.

I'm looking for a good all a rounder. Something that climbs reasonably and I can progress with well on the descends, hopefully gaining some speed, I'd like it to still be fun on the pump track too.

I'd like to stay in a 27.5" + if possible. I have a 29er wheel set for my Fuse, but it just doesn't feel right. Not a fair comparison to a proper 29er, but, I'm a midget....

Not sure if I should be looking for trail or enduro style. I don't need carbon, I'm fine with alloy or aluminum.

My LBS is Specialized, so I know I'll be looking at StumpJumpers, but outside of that I'm a little lost. Folks talk up Ibis for shorter folks, So i'd certainly look at the Ripmo AF @$3300 even though its a 29er.

Anyways, what do ya'll think?

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
If you're looking at a stumpjumper you could get the 27.5 model and the manual say there is clearance for a 3 inch tire

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
I’d look into a YT Izzo for a trail build. Canyon Spectral if you are looking at something more aggressive.

Both direct sales brands, you’ll get loads more bike per dollar that way.

The Izzo gives you a carbon frame for less than most manufacturers can do a similarly specc’d Alu bike for.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
I’d look into a YT Izzo for a trail build. Canyon Spectral if you are looking at something more aggressive.

Can you get either of those at this point in 2020? I was considering both of them in a size small (I’m also 5’5”) and the Spectral has been out of stock since May (maybe early June?). The Izzo builds didn’t last much longer.

You’re absolutely correct that they offer the best prices per dollar.

Also, speaking of the Spectral, small frames are equipped with a 140mm Deluxe instead of the 150mm Super Deluxe. Not sure how I feel about that. I understand why they did it, but it feels like the smaller are getting the short end of the stick (pun 100% intended). 150/130mm makes sense but 160/140mm rubs me the wrong way...

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 0:56 Quote
Check out the new model Transition Scout. My girlfriend is 4'10" and can stand over the seat on the size XSmall. She can even stand over the seat on my size Small new model Transition Sentinel. The Scout is a very versatile bike.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
Osirian wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Can you get either of those at this point in 2020? I was considering both of them in a size small (I’m also 5’5”) and the Spectral has been out of stock since May (maybe early June?). The Izzo builds didn’t last much longer.

You’re absolutely correct that they offer the best prices per dollar.

Also, speaking of the Spectral, small frames are equipped with a 140mm Deluxe instead of the 150mm Super Deluxe. Not sure how I feel about that. I understand why they did it, but it feels like the smaller are getting the short end of the stick (pun 100% intended). 150/130mm makes sense but 160/140mm rubs me the wrong way...

Hadn’t thought about availability issues. Bikes are hard to find these days. My LBS is temporarily shut down due to inability to secure products to sell.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
My LBS is temporarily shut down due to inability to secure products to sell.
That's insane! My closest local shop apparently has a 3 week lead time to even bring your bike in to be assessed for service. Same to even just walk around inside, but they're taking the phased opening very seriously. I can't imagine a shop shuttering because they can't secure enough stock to turn enough revenue to stay open...

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
Osirian wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
My LBS is temporarily shut down due to inability to secure products to sell.
That's insane! My closest local shop apparently has a 3 week lead time to even bring your bike in to be assessed for service. Same to even just walk around inside, but they're taking the phased opening very seriously. I can't imagine a shop shuttering because they can't secure enough stock to turn enough revenue to stay open...

Yeah, this shop sells GT and Cannondale mainly. Saw a big old “closed” sign on the door a week or so ago so I pulled over and checked it out. Basically the sign said that the owner can’t seem to get anything to sell, so he’s closing down and will re-assess periodically and open back up if he can. We’ve never even been under any COVID restrictions here, it’s 100% a supply chain problem.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 23:05 Quote
Lavacon wrote:
Older, 5'5 dude here. Just got back into riding in the woods again 3 years ago. I picked up a new 2017 S-Fuse Pro 6Fattie. I've been riding this bike for 3 years now and absolutely love the Plus tires on this bike.

I live in the North East. Our trails are boney... and if not boney... rooty...usually both... Anyways, I think I am at the point where I want to start hitting these trails on a full suspension bike.

I'm looking for a good all a rounder. Something that climbs reasonably and I can progress with well on the descends, hopefully gaining some speed, I'd like it to still be fun on the pump track too.

I'd like to stay in a 27.5" + if possible. I have a 29er wheel set for my Fuse, but it just doesn't feel right. Not a fair comparison to a proper 29er, but, I'm a midget....

Not sure if I should be looking for trail or enduro style. I don't need carbon, I'm fine with alloy or aluminum.

My LBS is Specialized, so I know I'll be looking at StumpJumpers, but outside of that I'm a little lost. Folks talk up Ibis for shorter folks, So i'd certainly look at the Ripmo AF @$3300 even though its a 29er.

I'm 5'4" and presently ride a 2019 Kona Process 153 27.5 size Small purchased new two weeks ago. What is it that you're particularly concerned with as a shorter rider? Good pedaling, able to eat up roots/NE gnar and still fun at the pump track... I'm sure for the right $$$ all that can be had. I like my Kona Process. It climbs well enough, handles the steeps and gnar really well, As a shorter rider, I'd recommend you stick with 27.5 for a lively feel of the bike beneath you. Are you just looking for feedback?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Osirian wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

I'm 5'1" and got an Izzo in small. It feels like a good size for me except 100mm dropper is maybe 10mm too long. Really like it, but the geometry coming from an aggressive hardtail takes some getting used to!

Sometimes I wish I went with a 100/100mm XC bike because I'm more familiar, but our trails are more fun with 130/130mm.

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
Texicans wrote:
Lavacon wrote:

I'm 5'4" and presently ride a 2019 Kona Process 153 27.5 size Small purchased new two weeks ago. What is it that you're particularly concerned with as a shorter rider? Good pedaling, able to eat up roots/NE gnar and still fun at the pump track... I'm sure for the right $$$ all that can be had. I like my Kona Process. It climbs well enough, handles the steeps and gnar really well, As a shorter rider, I'd recommend you stick with 27.5 for a lively feel of the bike beneath you. Are you just looking for feedback?

Yeah, been looking for feedback and opinions. I can almost never find a small sized bike to demo, makes it a bit difficult.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
I’ve never been able to demo a bike before buying either, they never seem to have any small frames to demo out here.

I’ve been pretty lucky in picking bikes that have worked well for me. I find that I need at least a 125mm dropper to get the seat out of my way so seat tube length and max seat tube insertion is key.

I just picked up a yeti sb140 and am blown away by how maneuverable the bike is, it has a nice short seat tube and low standover and just corners beautifully.

Always wanted to try a 29er, but haven’t been able to demo any so I’m not willing to risk it, especially as I prefer maximum maneuverability.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
Best enduro that is built towards hitting dirt jumps? I'll be doing more jumping than trail riding and want something that is built to be in the air.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009929
Mobile Version of Website