Zeb settings

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 5:49 Quote
Anyone have the new chargwr 3 damper with buttercups?
What settings are you running? Mine are below

Weight 90kg
Air pressure 81psi
1 volume space
Rebound
4 from closed/slowest
LSC: middle
HSC: -1 or one from fully open

Only got out twice on it so far. Gonna try another token or keep it at one.

Coming from ohlins rxf 36 m.2

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
I run 3 volume spacers in my ultimate 160mm for a nice ramp up at the end. For mid-stroke support, I run 6 to 8 clicks of low speed compression from fully open, and three clicks of high speed compression to help prevent bottoming. Honestly I couldn't say what pressure I run, just what feels right. I get close to the bottom out bumper, but rarely bottom hard enough to notice.

I find the zeb mid stroke a bit harsh but I've accepted that this is just the character of the fork. Fox suspension seems to be more plush but I like the simplicity and price of the zeb.

It's possible that running one less volume spacer and a little more compression would help with mid stroke, but I can't be bothered to mess around with it since it feels pretty damn good as is.

205lbs with gear

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 17:09 Quote
This is wild! I’m 220lbs and I’m getting 25% sag at 53psi. Sounds like I need to rebuild the fork. I know Rockshox tends to overgrease from the factory, maybe a little less will help the fork equalize properly?

Rockshox recommended something like 78psi, which might have well been a rigid fork

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 23:19 Quote
blissindex wrote:
This is wild! I’m 220lbs and I’m getting 25% sag at 53psi. Sounds like I need to rebuild the fork. I know Rockshox tends to overgrease from the factory, maybe a little less will help the fork equalize properly?

Rockshox recommended something like 78psi, which might have well been a rigid fork

Maybe but if the fork is working well then I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to strip them down. I doubt you'll need to fulling strip them either. Flip the bike upside down, crack the footnuts off.. knock the shafts down a little and let the fork breath. I bet you've got air build up in the lowers. These forks are pretty sensitive to that.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 22:18 Quote
benno92 wrote:
blissindex wrote:

Maybe but if the fork is working well then I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to strip them down. I doubt you'll need to fulling strip them either. Flip the bike upside down, crack the footnuts off.. knock the shafts down a little and let the fork breath. I bet you've got air build up in the lowers. These forks are pretty sensitive to that.

I felt like the fork was pretty quickly moving past small bump into mid stroke, and it felt kinda divey through really chunky stuff. I was even running a pretty fast rebound and it still felt boggy.

I just stripped everything down and re-built it. (I needed a “me day” in the garage anyway. Sure enough, some grime/gunk built up from the factory inside the air spring, not letting the fork equalize properly (I’ve only had it for a few months).

After rebuilding, I’m at 65psi, getting the same sag I was getting at 53psi previously - but the fork feels more supported and doesn’t blow through the first 3rd of the travel as fast. Loving it.

Goes to show, just rebuild the whole bike when you order it. Rolleyes

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
260lbs riding a 53lbs eMTB

22 ZEB Ultimate

80psi
HSC -4
LSC -18
Reb -6
1 token

I sometime play between HSC -4 and -3 to get the fork a little bit smoother on some trails. I was running 2 tokens before but I wasn't able to use all travel and the ramp up was harsh.

Posted: Jul 13, 2022 at 2:53 Quote
benno92 wrote:
Glad I've found this thread.. im at at 90psi in my zeb ult 180, 2 tokens and loads of compression. On a SC nomad. Surely this can't be right but I don't see how others can run such low pressure. I didnt really realise until my mate with some 170mm zebs told me he was running 67psi and his fork felt harder than mine!? What the hell is wrong with the air chamber? I've done the whole lowers off and equalise trick.. a little better, down at 86psi now.. but this is still nuts.

I've had the forks in bits numerous times and I can't see anything untoward so I'm stumped.

FYI Brandon semenuk was running 57psi at rampage so I don't get how these fork pressures differ so much!?
I'm willing to bet its the air shaft. The head on the ZEB airshaft has a hole in it, and that hole should be aligned with the hole on the shaft itself. This increases the negative volume of the fork.

Mine wasn't aligned, and I was running low 60's PSI at 86kg/190lbs. The fork was always harsh, and I could just never get it dialed.

After realigning them, I am running 10-15 PSI higher, and had to change all my LSC/HSC/R settings. Feels so much closer to my Lyrik now, and dialed.

Check your air spring for that alignment, I have a feeling this is what is causing wild PSI and setting differences across this thread.

Posted: Jul 13, 2022 at 2:59 Quote
I discovered that myself...at the time no one knew what I was talking about, not even suspension tuners...I lined the hole up and removed the top out bumper and replaced with a couple o rings...the fork performed better but 2 weeks later I fitted a Smashpot and things got better still.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 14:35 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I discovered that myself...at the time no one knew what I was talking about, not even suspension tuners...I lined the hole up and removed the top out bumper and replaced with a couple o rings...the fork performed better but 2 weeks later I fitted a Smashpot and things got better still.

Yeah I spotted that on a strip down, the hole is aligned but that's interesting that you removed the top out bumper.. what was your reason for that? To move the piston up or down?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
Hi guys,

my ZEB A1 Ultimate with 180mm of travel feels very insensitive on small bumps like breaking bumps etc. Because of that I just tried to play a little bit with the Airpressure and Trailhead suggests me 60 PSI with my 80 Kg. To achieve almost 25% SAG my current pressure sits at 45 PSI...is that a "good" thing? Seems very very low to me.
While googling I came across this video here, which basically shows how to equalize the pressure in the lower legs. Did someone try that?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Boogeyman1301 wrote:
Hi guys,

my ZEB A1 Ultimate with 180mm of travel feels very insensitive on small bumps like breaking bumps etc. Because of that I just tried to play a little bit with the Airpressure and Trailhead suggests me 60 PSI with my 80 Kg. To achieve almost 25% SAG my current pressure sits at 45 PSI...is that a "good" thing? Seems very very low to me.
While googling I came across this video here, which basically shows how to equalize the pressure in the lower legs. Did someone try that?

If it works for you then it's OK. But if you want a good mid stoke support, forget about sag.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:03 Quote
Boogeyman1301 wrote:
Hi guys,

Braking bumps always are going to feel harsh...I'm running a coil Smashpot and a custom tuned FAST SC4 damper and my fork is night and day way way more supple and supportive than a regular ZEB on everything...but even in this case certain things like braking bumps still feel harsh. Braking bumps are better ironed out by tyre pressure or running a tyre insert and lowering your pressure. Suspension simply can't respond fast enough to such high frequency large oscillations...you would need practically no damping to respond fast enough and then you would end up with a fork that felt harsh and useless everywhere else.

The most you could improve the suspension for this particular situation is reduce the low speed compression and increase rebound speed...but what you will probably find by doing this is although the fork may work better on braking bumps it's going to feel crap everywhere else.

Unfortunately braking bumps and other high frequency features of a reasonable size are just something you have to live with...they feel somewhat harsh on any bike...if you start optimisation around Braking bumps alone by reducing damping to minimum, speed up rebound to the fastest and lowering tyre pressure too low you will just end up with a bike that blows through travel on square edge hits, feels harsh, difficult to control and will get tyre squirm or worse folding the tyres.

If you really want to make a dramatic improvement to the ZEB I would highly recommend looking at the FAST SC4 damper a d the Smashpot coil conversion... I can tell you these 2 things make the fork feel in another realm in terms of plushness, small bump,
control and support but it costs money....

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
Really having a tough time currently trying to decide between the zeb ultimate and the lyrik ultimate for my 2021 sight, i weigh about 200# and do everything from just casual easy trail rides to smashing pro lines at whistler (I prefer more tech trails then the jumps but i always make it about an even 50/50 split). I ride alot of local trails that require climbing and im thinking with the weight its probably going to be better to have a lyrik but i might want the burlyness of the zeb due to my weight and aggressive riding. Any info would be appreciated

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
TheGame1 wrote:
Really having a tough time currently trying to decide between the zeb ultimate and the lyrik ultimate for my 2021 sight, i weigh about 200# and do everything from just casual easy trail rides to smashing pro lines at whistler (I prefer more tech trails then the jumps but i always make it about an even 50/50 split). I ride alot of local trails that require climbing and im thinking with the weight its probably going to be better to have a lyrik but i might want the burlyness of the zeb due to my weight and aggressive riding. Any info would be appreciated

At your weight and intended use, I think you'll be happy with the Zeb. The extra stiffness is noticeable in terms of ability to hold a line through rough sections.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
DMal wrote:
TheGame1 wrote:

At your weight and intended use, I think you'll be happy with the Zeb. The extra stiffness is noticeable in terms of ability to hold a line through rough sections.

Thanks for the feedback! Ya I think i shouldnt worry to much about the weight of the fork and think more about going down the hill

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009098
Mobile Version of Website