Trying to whittle down my choices for my first FS bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trying to whittle down my choices for my first FS bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
Hey everyone,

So I'm trying to really narrow down my choices for my first FS bike and so far I think I'm down to:

Diamondback Release 29 3

and

Fezzari Delano Peak SLX

My budget is about $3500 so they both fit there. I don't want SRAM components so these both also check that block.

Differences in the two:

Diamondback - 1x11 Shimano XT setup (to include brakes), heavier, probably about $3200ish - aluminum - 140mm travel fork
Fezzari - 1x12 Shimano SLX setup, Deore brakes (4-piston), lighter, $3500 - carbon frame - 150mm travel fork

The Fezzari has an edge with suspension, but the DB seems pretty good too. The Fezzari's custom sizing is something I don't see DB offering.

Hesitations from me for the Fezzari are I would want to upgrade the SLX shifter to XT (about $60), and the brakes. I run SLX on my current bike and I like them, but I'm not sure if the Deore brakes on the Fezzari would be as good. If they aren't, I see myself either swapping the SLX brakes to the Fezzari or upgrading the ones on the Fezzari.

Thoughts? OR, are there any other bikes that fill the bill? (have to be Shimano drivetrain).

I'd say my riding environment is 50% smooth, 25% rooty, 25% rocky.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
Why no SRAM products? Just preference? For me I’m partial to fox when it comes to my suspension so any bike that uses them is higher in my book. You could also look at the commencal meta I believe it’s in the price range and riding type you’re looking for.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
I rented a Stumpjumper FS that had a NX drivetrain on it and it shifted fine, BUT, the up-shift only went one direction and it only let me shift once. My XT shifter on my current bike lets me push the button both ways to shift and I can up-shift twice, which I REALLY like! I actually wouldn't mind upgrading to the XTR shifter so I can upshift 3 times, but it's like 3 times the cost.

Appreciate the Commencal recommendation, that looks like a slick bike! Only thing I'm not sure I'd like is the 170mm travel, BUT, I'll have to do some research and see what people think about it. I think it might be a bit much for the trails I ride.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
cbr6rrrider wrote:
I rented a Stumpjumper FS that had a NX drivetrain on it and it shifted fine, BUT, the up-shift only went one direction and it only let me shift once. My XT shifter on my current bike lets me push the button both ways to shift and I can up-shift twice, which I REALLY like! I actually wouldn't mind upgrading to the XTR shifter so I can upshift 3 times, but it's like 3 times the cost.

Appreciate the Commencal recommendation, that looks like a slick bike! Only thing I'm not sure I'd like is the 170mm travel, BUT, I'll have to do some research and see what people think about it. I think it might be a bit much for the trails I ride.

Word. That’s fair. Sorry I should have clarified. I meant the commencal meta TR 29. It’s a 150 front and 140 rear with Slx on it’s essential build. I believe it comes in at $3300 also.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Thanks for that, the TR 29 definitely looks like an option! It looks like it's a pound heavier than the Diamondback, BUT, I'll really have to spec compare to see if that's maybe offset.

Thanks buddy!

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Diamondback was sold a year ago and to my knowledge they have not done anything since then. I have a 2016 catch, ok bike but it’s a 2016 bike... the 2020 catch and 29er release have the same old frame... no change

IMO, you need to look a frame geometry first.
Buy the best frame you can afford and upgrade components as they die at the price point you are at. My current bike is a Transition Sentinel v1..... long ,low and slack -long travel 29er. Completely changed the way I ride and where I ride. My advice is look for bikes with really steep seat angles and slack head angles... the longer the reach, the better. This riding position moves you weight over the front of the bike and makes the bike corner really well. You will end up wearing out the side knobs off your tires from the corner attacks.....hope that helps.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
Appreciate it! In that case, the Fezzari would be the one then since it's got a carbon frame and lifetime warranty! I'm really leaning towards that one anyway as I think it's got the best suspension/frame/lowest weight.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
You may need to take the COVID bike shortage into account.... many many companies have no or little stock on hand.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Most definitely, I'm not expecting anything soon! I'm hopeful that maybe Fezzari will have a black Friday sale and I can get a good deal on it. On the other hand, I just registered with ExpertVoice so maybe I can get a good chunk saved off the Diamondback...

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
If i were you i would buy a used bike... If you look hard enough you will find a way better bike than either of those listed.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Unfortunately bikes around here are hard to find, and when you do find them they are jacked up in price. Frown

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
cbr6rrrider wrote:
Unfortunately bikes around here are hard to find, and when you do find them they are jacked up in price. Frown

The Buy/sell on Pinkbike is heavily saturated with bikes for 2500-3500 that retailed for well over 5k.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 12:41 Quote
I guess it depends on how far I want to drive to get one. I see about 3 in my price range in a 126 radius near me, but they all have SRAM setups which I don't want.

Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 21:51 Quote
Get ready to wait a while on the Fezzari. Almost pulled the trigger on a Cascade peak until they told me 4 months for delivery (size M).

Plus i couldn't test one out.

Beautiful frames from them and seems like. cool company.

Just wish bikes hadn't turned into the new toilet paper fiasco of 2020.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:55 Quote
SuicidalFlow wrote:
Get ready to wait a while on the Fezzari. Almost pulled the trigger on a Cascade peak until they told me 4 months for delivery (size M).

Plus i couldn't test one out.

Beautiful frames from them and seems like. cool company.

Just wish bikes hadn't turned into the new toilet paper fiasco of 2020.

Same reason I'm not riding a Fezzari right now. Luckily I ended up finding what had to be the last StumpJumper in New England!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005478
Mobile Version of Website