Glasses and goggles

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Glasses and goggles
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 18:01 Quote
I have been riding without my glasses the last few times, but it's not working for me. My eyesight isn't really bad, but in a shady forested area (which is everywhere where I ride), I can't see things like jumps or drops well enough until I am damn near on top of them. I don't want to risk damaging my glasses while riding trails. Do any of you guys wear goggles on top of your glasses? It'll feel weird to wear some motocross goggles while riding around on green and blue trails (I'm still a beginner), but I guess what other option is there, right?

FL
Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Try an orange or oakley 'persimion' lense. I don't out right need glasses for riding but definatly for driving, so sometimes I kinda feel the need.. I find the oakley orange lenses bring back a crispness to my vision in the conditions your'e describing especialy at speed. Theyr'e also good for sunny days when your'e in an out of woods an the light quickly changes from dark to bright.
I swear by em!

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
I wear 100% over my glasses. as said above some type of orange/amber or yellow which brings out almost everything in low light.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 23:43 Quote
Get prescription trail glasses. I've got some Oakley with their prism trail lenses and they're awesome. Bring out all the details and work great in bright or low light.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
Yeah, I got some 100% goggles that I could use. They are designed for use with glasses, but not the most comfortable thing. I guess for now, that's the best option without spending any money! Better than rolling down a trail and being caught out by a big drop or something and eating dirt.

Years ago, before my eyesight went to crap, I used to have a yellow visor on my motorcycle helmet. I was always surprised at how much better it was riding at night with that visor compared to clear. However, I think I might be beyond the point where a coloured lens will help me see any better. I guess ideally I would get some prescription eyewear and a yellow or orange tint! Thanks for the input though.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
Contacts with protective eyewear or prescription sunglasses. Definitely need some sort of eye protection when on the bike from sticks, rocks, bugs, tree branches, etc.

OTG (over the glasses) goggles would be good but might risk things getting foggy.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 0:31 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Contacts.

I got astigmatism and it is not really bad but on poor light conditions I have to squeze my eyes to see the terrain better and I thought about buying contacts.. Can the lenses somehow fall from my eye while riding? Never used contacts before

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
simov49 wrote:
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Contacts.

I got astigmatism and it is not really bad but on poor light conditions I have to squeze my eyes to see the terrain better and I thought about buying contacts.. Can the lenses somehow fall from my eye while riding? Never used contacts before

I also have astigmatism in one eye. You can get lenses that help to enhance light and I also find that good polarising lenses help loads with contrast. I have had a lense pop out once or twice so I always carry spares. It is rare though.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 1:01 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
simov49 wrote:
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Contacts.

I also have astigmatism in one eye. You can get lenses that help to enhance light and I also find that good polarising lenses help loads with contrast. I have had a lense pop out once or twice so I always carry spares. It is rare though.

I have to check if 100% and ONeal have such lenses but I got really used to riding with transparent lenses so it will be weird at start. Thanks

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 3:53 Quote
simov49 wrote:
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Contacts.

I have astigmatism in one eye. The lens needs to be in the right place or vision will still be blurry. Different contacts have a few different ways of stabilizing for astigmatism. When I was fitted I was given a one week trial of about 4 different contacts in my prescription. One of them was comfortable but when mountain biking downhill the wind would blow the contact out of place and everything went blurry. The next two sets weren't comfortable, one felt like sand was being rubbed in my eyes! The fourth trial set was just about perfect. Very comfortable and the contact for my astigmatism keeps it right where it needs to be unless there's a very strong cross wind when I can feel it start to move.

Not sure what kind of eye care you have access to but fit and brand are critical for astigmatism contacts! Otherwise prescription sunglasses are a great option.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
I have astigmatism in both eyes so contacts are kind of a hassle to get the right fit and I'm not big on putting stuff on my eyeballs.

SportRX sells goggle inserts for different goggles and the insert allows you to run prescription lenses with a goggle.

I have a Smith Squad and 100% Armega with the inserts and they are excellent plus better sweat mitigation and eye protection than just sunglasses.

If you don't want to go goggles prescription sunglasses are also quite good.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
simov49 wrote:
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Contacts.

I have astigmatism in one eye. The lens needs to be in the right place or vision will still be blurry. Different contacts have a few different ways of stabilizing for astigmatism. When I was fitted I was given a one week trial of about 4 different contacts in my prescription. One of them was comfortable but when mountain biking downhill the wind would blow the contact out of place and everything went blurry. The next two sets weren't comfortable, one felt like sand was being rubbed in my eyes! The fourth trial set was just about perfect. Very comfortable and the contact for my astigmatism keeps it right where it needs to be unless there's a very strong cross wind when I can feel it start to move.

Not sure what kind of eye care you have access to but fit and brand are critical for astigmatism contacts! Otherwise prescription sunglasses are a great option.

I ride with fullface helmet and goggles so I think wind and dust wont be an issue(except on the way up)

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
simov49 wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:
simov49 wrote:

I ride with fullface helmet and goggles so I think wind and dust wont be an issue(except on the way up)

You should be good with contacts and goggles! I haven't had any problems with dust either way. If your eyes dry out the contacts can start to move around and make vision blurry. So just carry eye drops and an extra set of contacts just in case.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009243
Mobile Version of Website