Carbon Xc bars - Will I die?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Carbon Xc bars - Will I die?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 4:32 Quote
Wanted to see how some low rise bars felt on my ss commuter, so I threw on an old set of Carbon Easton Monkey Lite SL that I had laying around. The question is, will these hold up to daily street use? Or is this a recipe for disaster?
photo

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
You will die.

Those bars are unlikely to be the cause though.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
You got me.
tomhoward379 wrote:
You will die.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
Unless your profile photo was taken during your daily commute, commuting duties should be a lot less strenuous than light XC.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 17:59 Quote
Yep those bars should be fine +5 street cred points. Your panic breaking ability looks to be pretty sketch though. 1 front brake and anything out back?

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 18:31 Quote
Coming from brakeless mtb, this is luxury. All jokes aside, it's what I had in the parts bin and does the job for now.
eshew wrote:
Yep those bars should be fine +5 street cred points. Your panic breaking ability looks to be pretty sketch though. 1 front brake and anything out back?

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
It looks like a ripper for sure. Bet it's a blast to ride

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
You will die.

Hahahaha, I giggled at this one!

Ride 'er till she blows! I really, really, really, really, really, really.....(really?) doubt that you'll have issues with the new bits. They don't make 'em 'cause they're weak and heavy..........

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 0:50 Quote
Nice bars. You'll be fine. Cool retro bars worth hanging onto.
Those bars used a novel process to weave nylon with the carbon fiber yarn. When heated in a mold (with a bladder inside) the nylon melts.
The cooled bars are super tough - you can beat them over a stone for a day and they will keep bouncing back just fine.
In comparison a carbon/resin bar will likely fail after a few hits.
The process is great and interesting but it was tough to get that "special" cycling feel.
I had some since new and my wife is still using them.
Ralphy

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019819
Mobile Version of Website