Poc tectal - Fox speedframe comparison?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Poc tectal - Fox speedframe comparison?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Has anyone used both of these helmets?

Which would you prefer and why?

How does the fit differ?

I’m in a location that I can’t physically try on either and I’m looking for recommendations.

I have a POC Octal which I like so I’m leaning towards the Tectal but I really like the look of the speedframe.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 17:20 Quote
mrboucher wrote:
Has anyone used both of these helmets?

Which would you prefer and why?

How does the fit differ?

I’m in a location that I can’t physically try on either and I’m looking for recommendations.

I have a POC Octal which I like so I’m leaning towards the Tectal but I really like the look of the speedframe.

Good to see I'm not the only one looking at these two helmets as well. I'm leaning towards the Speedframe 'cause I was surprised that the Tectal has no padding at the rear of the helmet. I'm sure they know what they're doing esp from folks a lot smarter than myself with their design but got me questioning that. The Speedframe is cheaper which doesn't hurt the wallet.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
I'm in the same boat. Living in a smaller town even in the best of times finding helmets to try on is hit or miss with a lot of misses. In COVID-19 times, forget about it, especially with my big head.

So I ordered a Fox Speedframe Pro, POC Tectal Spin, Troy Lee A2 & Bell Super Air Spherical so I can try them all on and pick the one that fits best.

The Speedframe Pro arrived last week. I ordered black/gray - L, they send me a blue - M. Couldn't come close getting it on so back it went and I ordered one from Fox that hopefully will be here this week. One nice thing about the Fox is they included an extra set of pads that the other much more expensive helmets don't. The Fidlock buckle is a pretty smart design. Three position visor with detents instead of a thumbscrew.

The Bell was no go which was disappointing because my Bell Z20 road helmet is super comfortable but the Super Air was tight front to back while plenty wide width wise. I was surprised it fit so differently than my other Bell.

The Troy Lee is a nice helmet. Fits well and is comfortable on my head. Seems well made but the visor adjustability is very limited. Good coverage on my head. A helmet I could easily live with.

The POC is an interesting helmet. This is the first POC I have tried and find it sits quite low on my head. In fact too low since it comes down to the top of my eyebrows. Coverage seems great and I feel it would provide a lot of protection. Pretty comfortable, especially with a Headsweats which I always wear. One interesting thing is there are 3 adjustment heights at the back of the of the adjuster strap but I find anything but the lowest setting moves the adjuster up to the point it is really difficult tighten the helmet. But at the lowest setting the suspension digs into the top of my ears it sits so low. Once you tighten it down though it isn't coming off easily without loosening it back. I liked the look of the white/black of the helmet.

So the Bell and POC are going back and it will be between the Troy Lee and Fox. I hope the Fox fits well since it is significantly less expensive than any of the others. I'll update which one I choose.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
Thanks for the update, AllFallDown. Looking forward to how the Speedframe Pro fits...

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Well, the Speedframe arrived yesterday. Very nice helmet for the money with lots of features. Fidlock, fully adjustable visor, extra set of pads and a nice price. I really wanted to love it but unfortunately it was just too tight on my head. I have big melon and it is always a crap shoot if a helmet will fit. And while I could get it on it was tight and not something I would want to wear for an extended time. I wish my head was smaller or the Fox was a little bigger.

So the Troy Lee A2 is the only one that fit me well and I find comfortable. I think I'll keep it but reading on another forum the pads seem to fall apart after a few rides and they are very pricey, $28 + shipping (Fox was $10) plus they are out of stock everywhere. Maybe I just not worry about it and wear my road helmet which is comfortable and has held up well after hundreds of rides.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
Ahh, bummer. Thanks for the update. I'm a 54mm head diameter and fall in either end of the maximum or minimum sizing so sometimes I'm an XS, sometimes I'm a S and the odd time I'm a M depending on brand. Arghhhh. I fell your pain in buying a helmet.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005212
Mobile Version of Website