Trek Roscoe 6 2021, can I upgrade to 140mm fork?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Roscoe 6 2021, can I upgrade to 140mm fork?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
Hello,
I am looking into and maybe getting the new 2021 Trek Roscoe 6, which comes with a 120mm Suntour fork. Is it possible to in the future upgrade to a 130mm or preferably a 140mm fork?

Here is the page for the bike, https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-6/p/33192/?colorCode=grey_reddark.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
VikingBiker338 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking into and maybe getting the new 2021 Trek Roscoe 6, which comes with a 120mm Suntour fork. Is it possible to in the future upgrade to a 130mm or preferably a 140mm fork?

Here is the page for the bike, https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-6/p/33192/?colorCode=grey_reddark.

Any help would be appreciated.

140mm isn't suggested on the Roscoe. Sure it would fit, but you are adding more stress to the headtube than what our engineers planned on.

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
I’m looking to replace the forks on my boys Roscoe 6.
What length, taper type do I look for

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
dectyeroxash wrote:

For a replacement fork, you'll want one that is compatible with 27.5" wheels and offers 120mm travel length. Some additional specs include a 51mm offset, Boost 110 hub spacing, and a tapered steerer tube (1-1/8" to 1-1/2"). Your LBS can help choose the right one if you visit them!

-Mitch

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Hi.
My son has a 2020 Roscoe 6. The suntour forks aren’t up to the work he gives it so he upgraded to Rockshox forks. We researched the specification and ordered a tapered set. However although the specification says it’s a tapered head the old forks are on a straight steering tube! With all bike parts hard to get in the current climate, I can’t swap back with the supplier of the new forks because they don’t know when they will get any stock and I still can’t find another shock for similar cost. I understand it is possible to replace the headset but need to know what to order. Can you share a suitable specification?

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
Richardmac71 wrote:
Hi.
My son has a 2020 Roscoe 6. The suntour forks aren’t up to the work he gives it so he upgraded to Rockshox forks. We researched the specification and ordered a tapered set. However although the specification says it’s a tapered head the old forks are on a straight steering tube! With all bike parts hard to get in the current climate, I can’t swap back with the supplier of the new forks because they don’t know when they will get any stock and I still can’t find another shock for similar cost. I understand it is possible to replace the headset but need to know what to order. Can you share a suitable specification?

Ideally, you'd want a tapered steer tube instead of using a fork with a straight steer tube. To use the straight steerer fork, you can use your existing top headset assembly, but you will want to replace the crown race (or install a new one since it is a new fork) that is a conversion crown race.

Your OE lower bearing would be a VP Zero Stack assembly. To make things match up, I would suggest installing a new Cane Creek or FSA lower headset bearing and pairing it to a Cane Creek or FSA 1-1/2" to 1-1/8" conversion crown race.

Talk to your local dealer to order these.

Mitch

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
trek wrote:
dectyeroxash wrote:

For a replacement fork, you'll want one that is compatible with 27.5" wheels and offers 120mm travel length. Some additional specs include a 51mm offset, Boost 110 hub spacing, and a tapered steerer tube (1-1/8" to 1-1/2"). Your LBS can help choose the right one if you visit them!

-Mitch

Hey Mitch,

My LBS is recommending (really the only option available) the Manitou Magnum Pro. Is this a a logical upgrade over the stock Roscoe 6 fork? Not looking for the best, but something that can handle jumps and small drops. Worth the $900 price tag?

Thanks

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
I'm 99% sure there is zero difference in the Roscoe frames across their model line. I have a 2020 Roscoe 8 and it came with RS RL35 Gold 120mm 44mm offset. These are ok to decent forks, not excellent but not total garbage either. They are $500ish new and common to find used take offs around $300. Should bolt right on without issue.

I ran mine at 130mm for a while no problem but I reverted back to 120mm when I switched it to a 27.5+/29 mullet as I was worried the angles were getting a bit outside of sane parameters. Point being the travel spacer kit is $20.00 and pretty simple to change with the only special items needed being a snap ring pliers and the two different oils for top and bottom.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
BoiseRoscoe wrote:
trek wrote:
dectyeroxash wrote:

-Mitch

Hey Mitch,

My LBS is recommending (really the only option available) the Manitou Magnum Pro. Is this a a logical upgrade over the stock Roscoe 6 fork? Not looking for the best, but something that can handle jumps and small drops. Worth the $900 price tag?

Thanks

That is a pretty slick fork! I think it would be a solid upgrade over your SR Suntour XCM 32 fork that comes stock on the Roscoe 6. It's all user preference, but I ran a Manitou on a Stache and it was great!

-Mitch

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005735
Mobile Version of Website