How to ride DH safely and WIN!

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride DH safely and WIN!
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 at 8:23 Quote
99) make sure your bars can actually fit through the gap in the trees that youre aiming for, otherwise you'll bin it and get a horrible gash in your leg because you dont have any leg armour. you dont have any leg armour because your friends dog chewed your leg armour.

100) dont let your friends dog chew your leg armour.

Posted: Aug 8, 2012 at 15:20 Quote
lol
querhoch wrote:
99) make sure your bars can actually fit through the gap in the trees that youre aiming for, otherwise you'll bin it and get a horrible gash in your leg because you dont have any leg armour. you dont have any leg armour because your friends dog chewed your leg armour.

100) dont let your friends dog chew your leg armour.
lol lol: my dog eat new poc knees! Mo'fo

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 at 7:10 Quote
i just started riding dh and i freaking love it Razz !!!!!!

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 5:21 Quote
Lifes a down hill journey! Lol go big and pedal home! thats whats up!!!

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 7:33 Quote
TuffMudda wrote:
Lifes a down hill journey! Lol go big and pedal home! thats whats up!!!
yup this until you go big and go home broken,then lifes a little uphill,rough with the smooth and if you aint falling off you aint pushing yourself,man up pad up and a little luck will see you right,most the time. lol

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 10:06 Quote
regarding braking, do you guys place one or two fingers on the levers? I've always done two, but I feel like one is normal

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 11:07 Quote
I'm going to get all biomechanical up in hurr because I think how you brake is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of DH. Operating each brake with two fingers massively decreases how relaxed your whole arm can be and your ability to absorb bumps.

Basically you have no muscles in your fingers, all the muscles that operate your fingers are up by your elbow. If you want a demonstration, put your hand on the outside of your forearm and clench and release your hand - your whole forearm tenses up. It goes further still, because those muscles are connected to your upper arm. As well as this, all your fingers aren't independent of each other's movement. You have three muscles operating four fingers. Your index finger and little finger are independent, but your fourth finger is wired to move (contract) when your middle finger does. Try bending your middle finger and keeping your fourth straight - it's impossible.

So, if you're braking with your middle finger as well, your fourth finger is also gripping the bars harder, giving you less control. If you're grabbing handfuls of brake, you're also tensing up your entire arm, and if there's one thing you don't want it's to stiffen up your upper body in a DH race. Setting up your brakes so you can brake as much as you ever need with one finger is really, really important.

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 11:09 Quote
Thanks! That makes sense. It's just how I've always ridden, so it's a habit to break. I have a new bike coming in tomorrow though, i'll just start when I get it!

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 at 4:26 Quote
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harriieee wrote:
I'm going to get all biomechanical up in hurr because I think how you brake is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of DH. Operating each brake with two fingers massively decreases how relaxed your whole arm can be and your ability to absorb bumps.

Basically you have no muscles in your fingers, all the muscles that operate your fingers are up by your elbow. If you want a demonstration, put your hand on the outside of your forearm and clench and release your hand - your whole forearm tenses up. It goes further still, because those muscles are connected to your upper arm. As well as this, all your fingers aren't independent of each other's movement. You have three muscles operating four fingers. Your index finger and little finger are independent, but your fourth finger is wired to move (contract) when your middle finger does. Try bending your middle finger and keeping your fourth straight - it's impossible.

So, if you're braking with your middle finger as well, your fourth finger is also gripping the bars harder, giving you less control. If you're grabbing handfuls of brake, you're also tensing up your entire arm, and if there's one thing you don't want it's to stiffen up your upper body in a DH race. Setting up your brakes so you can brake as much as you ever need with one finger is really, really important.

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 at 21:21 Quote
newtoDH wrote:
regarding braking, do you guys place one or two fingers on the levers? I've always done two, but I feel like one is normal
i just keep one finger floating in the groove at the very end of the lever for most leverage. I dont hold my finger really hard against the brake lever or anything. i keep my fingers relaxed until its time to engage.

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 at 19:53 Quote
When riding extremely steep terrain or going off a drop, fist your left grip so you don't accidentally grab your front brake resulting in a OTB moment.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019014
Mobile Version of Website