How to ride DH safely and WIN!

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride DH safely and WIN!
Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:
this sounds stupid but it actually worked for me. I imagine a big bear chasing me down the trail and will eat me if i slow down. what it does is it stops me from over thinking stuff and just haul

This works for me because I tend to over analyze and think about what to do (brake here, enter here, exit here..etc), instead of just feel...

maybe it will work for someone else!

toodles Beer

I'm going to try this.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

and if you wreck do you act like the bear is eating you? And your friends then look at you like you are crazy?

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 9:43 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

I'm going to try this.

and if you wreck do you act like the bear is eating you? And your friends then look at you like you are crazy?

more incentive to not bail

lol

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 12:11 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:

lol
on that note, its good to bail sometimes. get out of it before it gets too gnarly. I've found that a lot of times, while trying to save a crash I stiffen up and then hitting the ground while stiff/tense is much worse than hitting the ground loosely

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 13:31 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:

lol
on that note, its good to bail sometimes. get out of it before it gets too gnarly. I've found that a lot of times, while trying to save a crash I stiffen up and then hitting the ground while stiff/tense is much worse than hitting the ground loosely

being stiff means easier to break bones, but I'm usually going to fast to think about to stay loose, so I end up hurting myself Facepalm

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 0:17 Quote
I find that if you have a favourite line down a track, just go 'f*ckit' and let the brakes off as much as possible, and just stay composed. The further ahead you look the faster you'll go

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
Try every possible line

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
Try every possible line
this. and choose your own lines, dont choose a line because the fastest guy out there took it. sure, you should try that line but if you arent confident on it or think youd be faster somewhere else, definitely choose something else. At US nationals this past year, I was checking out lines up near the top and gwin came in and looked at the same section we were scoping, pushed his bike up, and then smashed his line. a lot of people were like, welp theres the line. and i tried it a couple times, but i didn't feel as fast on his line as i did on mine. now im not saying ive got better line choice than gwin, but he's on a whole new level and can pull things off that we can't. similarly to maybe just watching a local pro, you might have different strengths meaning your line might be better than theirs for you.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
Try every possible line
this. and choose your own lines, dont choose a line because the fastest guy out there took it. sure, you should try that line but if you arent confident on it or think youd be faster somewhere else, definitely choose something else. At US nationals this past year, I was checking out lines up near the top and gwin came in and looked at the same section we were scoping, pushed his bike up, and then smashed his line. a lot of people were like, welp theres the line. and i tried it a couple times, but i didn't feel as fast on his line as i did on mine. now im not saying ive got better line choice than gwin, but he's on a whole new level and can pull things off that we can't. similarly to maybe just watching a local pro, you might have different strengths meaning your line might be better than theirs for you.

Can't agree more. Line choice depends on style too. If you are faster smashing rocks, do that thing. If you are faster getting air, do that.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
I've also found that the most stylin' way to ride a section may not always be the quickest / energy efficient. Like boosting every lip or hanging your foot out to look moto lol

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
Especially @northstar, finding a different line will have seconds on its own, just link options together and analyze what is the fastest and string that together your race run.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 11:50 Quote
Learn to track both wheels....sometimes you can miss obstacles by turning the front wheel around it and allowing the back to track an inside line...also missing the object.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 11:58 Quote
Skid correctly. If your back wheel starts skidding, lean a bit forward to keep your front wheel tracking. Even dab a foot if needed. Also, stay calm!

Posted: Apr 26, 2015 at 23:02 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:

lol

I will try it

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 5:17 Quote
Pelopants wrote:
there is no way to ride dh safely. only if you ride the brakes.
Riding on your brakes means your suspension won't work as well, your brakes will over heat and you will generally have less grip.
Wouldn't making sure you and your bike are up to the job be a better suggestion.

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 10:16 Quote
JustaStinky wrote:
Amazing! http://www.getcocgem.com/ - I got free Clash of Clans gems here! Get yous too in less than two minutes!! Everybody is already using free gems from here.(HCE478iqsU)

Don't troll. This isn't the place for that

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007657
Mobile Version of Website